Help - I am going crosseyed with a problem!
    I didn't know where else to ask this, so here goes - I am getting a faulty url link when I run a link checker on one of my pages. So I have checked with another linkchecker and am getting the same error and can't see for "luv nor money" - it keeps coming back with a link that looks like this http://www.abc.com/+ and I can find no such link on the page with a + or with a space or any other kind of animal attached to it - just the http://www.abc.com/directory/ links. What am I missing? Can someone help me while I still have some hair on my head?

Try This
    Abigail,

Regardless of whether you can actually find the bad link or not, you might try doing a search and replace for the bad url. Then run the link checker again and see if this fixes the problem

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

I've tried that - can't find - I have used my dreamweaver over and over until the poor thing wants to retire!

Next thing to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail
    I've tried that - can't find - I have used my dreamweaver over and over until the poor thing wants to retire!
    Is this a live site you're working on? If so, you should check your error logs and see if you have any 404's for this url. If not, could possibly be just the link checker?

What link checker are you using?

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

It all started when I went to use an xml generator to build a Google sitemap - it threw a handful of links into an aborted file. I couldn't figure it out, I couldn't find the links as shown by using the search and replace command - soooo I went out onto the net and found a link checker tool and threw the url's in question into it for a check and found it was coming up with the same errors - this "+" going into the url and causing an error. One of them I think is associated with the presentation of the link without an http:// in the search site script from Google - I can understand that. It's the others that are throwing me and now I have take a second look and there is also a handful of links that are ending in "/\" that are also showing as errors - can't see or find those either. I though maybe a space at the end of the url code may be causing a problem, but nope can't find any of those either.

Well, I'm at a loss. I'm okay with html, xhtml and css (okay, not great).
    I hope someone else can help, cuz I'm interested in what's up with that, too.

Peace & Blessings,
    White Wolf
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

It occurred to me that somehow the Google Adsense script might be tripping some sort of code variance, or maybe the stats tracker I am using from AddFree Stats, but not all the webpages I have both codes on are showing errors - only a handful. But now it's really making me nuts - I just gotta know!!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Don't most free link checkers just look at regular links, not scripted (AdSense) links?

I don't use DreamWeaver, but when I use FrontPage, it often interprets things and displays them differently than they are - very minor changes and such - but I'd be viewing the source code (view source) instead of looking for it w/ DW.

And you might post this at site review pages so you can paste a link there and we can better help you - I'd say troubleshooting bad links would fall under a site review issue, but you should ask the moderator there first.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Could it be possible that you have a link that is actually http://www.abc.com/_ (_ representing a space) and the link checker is showing to you as a +?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Just did a manual on site check on a couple of pages per your suggestion Michelle - nope. And I have also clicked on all the links and they are all working. It must be some sort of code blip - the only things all the pages affected have in common that others don't is Google Adsense, maybe it's giving off wierd vibes!!

I wouldn't worry about it..
    If you can't find it in your files or on your website, then chances are no one else will be able to find it either.

It's probably a dynamic link "like adsense" that the link checker cannot follow..

FYI -- Some of those link checkers will burn up some bandwidth when you run them to often
    so I would watch that too..

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread