Big fat hint to merchants
    You know, when you are writing your "Program Description", it might be worthwhile if along with all the puffery about how great and wonderful your terms are, if your would write a line or two about just exactly what it is that you sell! This should be a tad bit more than just the name of your program, don't you think?

I mean, come on! If I am interested in what it is you actually sell, I will click through and look at your site. I don't want to have to have to go to your site just to figure that out. If I am not interested in the products, I want to go to the next merchant and you don't need me looking at your site because I won't use your program, anyway.

Additionally, your description may help me promote your site.

Gees....you gotta tell some people everything.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Hehe, totally agree Sandra, this has frustrated me many times as well.

"You can make heaps of cash selling our stuff!" Now, if only we knew what stuff you had on offer ...

Onya
    Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Uh, Brian. The Sharasale "Program Description" itself needs a line or two saying just exactly what you are!! Something quotable, if you know what I mean.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Internet Cowboy
    Unfortunately there are lots of clueless merchants on SAS. I guess that is what happens when you are the reasonably priced network, lots of merchants new to AM.
    Job security for Jorge Ramirez!

plazan skin care
    its not dog biscuits

Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Uh, Brian. The Sharasale "Program Description" itself needs a line or two saying just exactly what you are!! Something quotable, if you know what I mean.
    But not political!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    UncleScooter,
    > Job security for Jorge Ramirez

Thanks, keep em coming!

Actually I do get some emails and calls sometimes from merchants new to the scene, most times I spend time educating merchants on what can help start their program. Like SSanf says, one of the first things is to show affiliates that you are ready to earn their trust and make changes right away by adding the right info to the sign up page and program detail page. Let's not forget Auto Deposit, first step before the first step.

Some merchants write too much info with BIG banners that make your screen shift to the right, or too many colors, some do not write enough. I tell them, when affiliates read this page they are ready to join, almost like having a customer with their credit card in hand, the affiliate is ready to join, most affiliates are already members of SAS, get to the point with just enough info and make the sale. (join) Like everything else, a good first impression will get affiliates in the door.

Also, when you sign up to SAS as a merchant the first things you fill out for your program are in the "Edit Program Information", which is where you enter such info as:

Default Sale Commission
    Tracking Gap (Advanced: Default is 30 Days)
    Program Bio
    Program Agreement for Affiliates
    Search Keywords (Used by our affiliates to find your program)
    Reply Email Text: Sent to your Affiliates when they APPLY for your program. Do you offer 2-tiered commissions?
    Merchant Name, address, etc.
    Email address (enter affiliates @yoursitename.com)

These are just a few, there are more program details to add. The important point is that all this info can be changed at any time and should be changed even the moment you see your competition improving their program by just changing the Tracking Gap then you should too.

Also don't forget to right away create an email called: affiliates @yoursitename.com Add this email everywhere from now on, very important. You need to see affiliates when they signup, ask questions, need FTP access and make sales, Instantly.

Also, on your own main site create an affiliate page with all the info you can write about your program and how to join. At least in 3 locations add the word "click here" to join our affiliate program. This not only helps your page get Search Engine Optimized, which also helps bring new affiliates/webmasters looking around the Search Engines for programs to join, but also helps experienced affiliates go to this page if they want to read even more info about you before they join. Remember, the affiliate page on your site has lots of details about your program and your store in general with lots of click here to join, which then takes affiliates to the SAS signup detail page, the shareasale signup page should be a broken down page with few highlights of what you already wrote on your site, but with just enough info saying, ok join NOW!

Did I get carried away? Just lost my job security, LOL, but I hope it helps some merchants get an idea where to start. I encourage others to add more suggestions to this thread, do your part to help bring knowledgeable, experienced merchants aboard. I know I'm trying, even with this FREE, PSA

Can I take a moment her to applaud SSanf? Some folks get tied up in knots over some of the arcane intricacies of affiliate marketing. But time and time again, SSanf cuts through the nonsense and reminds us to Keep It Simple, Stupid. It's not rocket science, folks.

SSanf, thanks again for reminding us to see the forest, not just the trees.

GO FLY A KITE SOMETIME
    Any Questions?
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

the shareasale signup page should be a broken down page with few highlights of what you already wrote on your site
    Thanks for the kodos, folks, but I beg to differ on this quote. If we are looking at the program through SAS, chances are we have never seen and never WILL see the merchant site or any page on it unless we are motivated to look at it by what is on the merchant "Program Description" at SAS. THAT is the more important page. So, back to the main point. Come on folks. At least, say what it is you sell. A nice short description of your product line is very helpful.

Thanks

Product line and why we would choose you over your competitors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Amen!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My personal favs read something like this.
    "Earn big bucks. Just put our banners on your site. It's FREE to sign up! Do it today!"

SSanf, thanks.

Then please help me out.

Take a look at one of our signup pages:

http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=7648

Welcome to everythingofficefurniture.com affiliate program

We carry the largest selection of Office Chairs, Desk Chairs, Home Office Furniture, Computer Desk, Conference Table, File Cabinet, Bush Office Furniture, O'Sullivan Office Furniture, Computer Furniture, Leda and more. Most furniture is in stock and ships in a few days.

Our average sales orders are well over $900.00!

With an excellent sales average you will also earn 5% commission baseline of every sale you make. If you are a top earner we will even bump your commission to higher percentages.

Some Program Highlights

Anti Parasite Stance
    Free Data Feed
    120 Day Cookie
    High Conversions
    Creative Of All Sizes
    Special Affiliate Bonuses
    Dedicated Affiliate Manager
    Instant Approval
    24/7 real-time statistics
    Average Order Over $900

Questions? Contact us at any time: affiliates@everythingofficefurniture.com

You can also visit our forum at www.abestweb.com and interact with us and other affiliates any time.

What should I add, change, remove or improve upon?

Appreciate all input.

Actually, that looks prety good.

You would have to see some of the others to believe them.

Here, you tell me what it is you sell and give me the low down on your program as well as tell me that even though the commission is not high, I can fix that by selling enough to get a raise. The only thing I would like to know is what I would need to achieve to be considered a "top earner".

I really appreciate the effort you put into your page. It inspires confidence in your program.

P.S. Smooth way you got that into the thread!!! I admire you for looking for all the opportunities to promote your program. I mean that! Smart! No grass growing under your ass, for sure!

Just found another one. This is what they say.
    Our affiliate program is one of the most competitive in the industry. We offer a flat rate percentage of 10% per sale with cookies set at 90 days. Typically our average ticket is around $ 150 which translates into a potential commission of $15 per sale.
    That's it! I mean that is ALL there is. Uh... guess I will just jump on that. Danged if I know what I will be selling but, by Goddess, I will get 10% for selling it!
    Last edited by SSanf; July 6th, 2005 at 10:57 PM.

That makes me . Thanks again SSanf.

> The only thing I would like to know is what I would need to achieve to be considered a "top earner".

I have been working on a tier commision structure for this that will start in August. Also there are other metrics I use for this, it's not always dependent on the "tier" structure alone. Send me a PM and I will share.

> Smooth way...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    My personal favs read something like this.
    "Earn big bucks. Just put our banners on your site. It's FREE to sign up! Do it today!"
    LOL :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread