Weekly Newsletter to affiliates?
    Dear Members,

Q.
    Is a newsletter sent to affiliate on a weekly basis is common?

To my openion, The only mail that affiliate should get, on the pay day.

Please help me with this, should i start writing a weekly newsletter?
    If i do, what should i put in it? Marketing tools? should i market for them?
    Allan C.
    Affiliate Manager
    Allpills.net

Quote Originally Posted by allanc
    Dear Members,

Q.
    Is a newsletter sent to affiliate on a weekly basis is common?

To my openion, The only mail that affiliate should get, on the pay day.

Please help me with this, should i start writing a weekly newsletter?
    If i do, what should i put in it? Marketing tools? should i market for them?
    If you're going to send out a newsletter, it needs to be something usefull to help them promote you and make more money. Marketing tips, new creatives, etc. Whatever you think will help them. A newsletter sayingk, "Hey don't forget about me and my program", with nothing of value will get tossed.

I sent you a PM with some advice I did not feel appropriate to post here. All good...just some ideas I thought might help.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

weekly may be difficult to maintain, unless you have new products to peddle every week.

I think it is spinning your wheels and will avail you nothing.

Look, most of us belong to many, many programs. If you belonged to 300 programs, whether you use them all or not, the managers might send you newsletters. If you got 300 weekly newsletters, how many would you open and read?

If you open and read even a few and find nothing but spin, it wouldn't be very long before you just delete the whole lot.

Better to have a central place that affiliates can just look for the news about your program when they are working on your site to do updates or when looking for coupons, deals etc.

I think the SAS coupon feed is good for this kind of thing. There an affiliate can download the info for all the programs they are interested in at one time.

SAS merchants who do not make good use of this tool are silly, indeed. All the networks should have one. If they did, a quick stop by the network could get an affiliate a complete update on every coupon or deal all their merchants have and that beats the heck out of opening and rushing through 300 newsletters every week, don't you think?
    Last edited by SSanf; July 7th, 2005 at 07:34 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile Monthly works better than weekly in my experience
    My experience is that some affiliates love to receive useful tools & information on a regular basis (be it monthly, bi-weekly or every few days) while others don't want to hear from us at all.

The reality is that you'll never please everyone with one answer/solution, but I feel that as an AM it is my job to keep our Affiliate partners informed.

Most times our newsletter is updated monthly; it's hosted online and always at the same URL so our Aff's can always view the most updated info at their leisure.

Like some of the others said - any Aff. Program newsletter needs to include info useful to the affiliates, like new campaign overviews, new coupons, new creative, product knowledge, marketing tips, what's new, and that sort of thing - stuff our partners should have in order to help them find success with our program.

Again - those emails and newsletter updates may be an annoyance to those who don't want to hear from their merchants at all, but those who truly partner with us for success are happy to get the updates because those communications include information to help them earn more with our program.

Try monthly over weekly updates - you may get a better response rate that way. Sending less often will benefit you and your affiliates anyhow, as you'll spend less time on writing newsletters and more time managing/growing your program, and your affiliates will spend less time reading and more time developing content/campaigns to help them convert as your partner.

Thank you all for the graet responses, i will stay loyal to this forum
    After all, it is AbestWeb(forum)
    Allan C.
    Affiliate Manager
    Allpills.net

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Like some of the others said - any Aff. Program newsletter needs to include info useful to the affiliates, like new campaign overviews, new coupons, new creative, product knowledge, marketing tips, what's new, and that sort of thing - stuff our partners should have in order to help them find success with our program.

Again - those emails and newsletter updates may be an annoyance to those who don't want to hear from their merchants at all, but those who truly partner with us for success are happy to get the updates because those communications include information to help them earn more with our program.
    Monthly updates are good as long as they do indeed contain useful information.

When I sign up for a merchant, I'll open their first couple of emails. If they have info I can use, I keep opening theirs. But if I see that it's just an "empty" hype email, I soon start ignoring their newsletters. Then if they finally send something important, it usually gets missed because I no longer expect there to be anything worth looking at in there.

One way to help ensure that the important stuff gets seen is to put the important subject in the "subject" line. Is a coupon the primary subject of importance? Then a subject of "NEW MERCHANT-X COUPON" is in order! New feed? "MERCHANT-X DATAFEED UPDATED." If the subject just says something general like "MerchantX Newsletter" it's a lot more likely to be dumped unopened.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Well, Affiliates always want to get updated with the products they are promoting on their site. I would recommend a monthly newsletter as weekly ( 4 mails a month)would bring results for you for the first few months and I am sure after sometime your mails will be found on the affiliates Trash can.
    Usually, providing some useful tips on how to promote your own products, an example of your top affiliate member will give them some inspiration and an idea as to how they can do well with your program(promotes the newbies as well as the top affiliate member)
    Inspite of talking about your own products on the newsletter, some related topics might provide them an idea about marketing thier own website.

Like, a gift site having displayed Mother's Day gifts should include an ecards content to promote their products.

Ofcourse,new offers and bonuses might keep them sticky and bring more attention

I think monthly newsletters plus a blog works out. When I get weekly newsletters, I usually don't touch them.

But I do subscribe to some affiliate program blogs and read them on a regular basis in my rss reader.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread