Affiliates weekly newsletter question.
    Dear members,

I would like to ask you if a Newsletter to my affiliates every week will be any good.

To my openion, one letter in the end/start of the month - in enough and i , as affiliate in the past don't like the "spam" form the merchant.

Please expresse an opinion

Thanks in advance.
    Allan C.
    Affiliate Manager
    Allpills.net

Affiliate Manager
    Newsletter
    Allen,

I think affiliate newsletters help keep your folks informed, but I agree you don't want to over do it.

You don't always have to blast it to your entire affiliate base. You can send it out to groups where you feel it may be needed. I normally send 1 or 2 a month to avoid over doing it with the emails, but at least once a month contact everyone. Hope this helps...

Affiliate Manager
    I agree, we do a monthly newsletter also. There is a lot of one-on-one contact outside of the newsletter that goes on throughout the month.

Monthly is more than enough for most affiliates and most merchants. Some groups of affiliates (like bargain sites) might appreciate more (if they contain new promotions), but in general monthly is best.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

We also send out a monthly newsletter which is definitely a good idea. Widespread circulation of a newsletter can definitely boost business. Perhaps you could send a newsletter to everyone and tell them to contact you if they would like more frequent newsletters so that you could send weekly ones only to those who are interested.

Affiliate Manager
    I actually send weekly update emails to our affiliates...mainly because, right now at least, we are adding a lot of new products and also clearing out some old inventory, so there are, normally, quite a few changes each week...

I have never received any complaints from our affiliates, but now I wonder if I am overdoing it??? I want to get to the point where I can send out a monthly newsletter, which we are working on developing, but for the time being I have been taking a "better to be informed, than to not be..." approach...

Any thoughts?

Again, the only way to find out is to ask. In your next newsletter, ask if affiliates would prefer monthly or weekly newsletters. You could always compromise with one every 2 weeks.

Affiliate Manager
    I agree Dawn...thanks...the affiliates that I have spoken with, about the updates, seem to be in agreement with me, that they would rather know about changes (etc.), then not...

The way not to overdo sending affiliate newsletters is by NOT sending a newsletter when you have nothing new to add in terms of site updates, etc. I don't think the time is as important as the content. More than once every couple weeks should be the max, also. Exceptions are probably publisher networks who get new offers.

re: Affiliate Newsletter
    Quote Originally Posted by seWEB
    I don't think the time is as important as the content.
    This is an excellent point. I have an auto-responder training program for my affiliates which covers getting traffic, building opt-in, and other things essential for their success. Each newsletter is about a page (350 to 600 words) focused on one topic.

I also cover new products available to my affiliates, results of copy testing, and tips for promoting specific products. Each affiliate should understand the specific audience my products are best for and how I'm helping them sell.

Periodically I'll feature lead generation capture pages and why they are important. For example, I have one landing for a high price product that contacts those who sign up with 4 offers in 30 days -- each for the high priced product my affiliates can offer.

Just like any outside sales team, train them to close business even if it just means they are referring traffic. To keep good affiliates interested, you must share with them how you are helping them to sell.

Of course, I make my list double opt-in separate from my affiliate management software so only interested affiliates join, and also make it easy for them to leave -- the truth is that 90% of your affiliates aren't doing anything with your program, so it's best to let them exit any communications.

I'd be interested in hearing about others efforts to train affiliates or at least make them more productive -- not every industry has rabid super affiliates.

Best,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by hittjw
    This is an excellent point. I have an auto-responder training program for my affiliates which covers getting traffic, building opt-in, and other things essential for their success. Each newsletter is about a page (350 to 600 words) focused on one topic.

I also cover new products available to my affiliates, results of copy testing, and tips for promoting specific products. Each affiliate should understand the specific audience my products are best for and how I'm helping them sell.

Periodically I'll feature lead generation capture pages and why they are important. For example, I have one landing for a high price product that contacts those who sign up with 4 offers in 30 days -- each for the high priced product my affiliates can offer.

Just like any outside sales team, train them to close business even if it just means they are referring traffic. To keep good affiliates interested, you must share with them how you are helping them to sell.

Of course, I make my list double opt-in separate from my affiliate management software so only interested affiliates join, and also make it easy for them to leave -- the truth is that 90% of your affiliates aren't doing anything with your program, so it's best to let them exit any communications.

I'd be interested in hearing about others efforts to train affiliates or at least make them more productive -- not every industry has rabid super affiliates.

Best,

Justin
    Great info again!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread