Web Host
    I am looking to change dedicated servers.
    Any body know of a good reliable hosting company that provides dedicated - managed servers for clients???

My host refuses to upgrade anything - I have been with them for five years and they are still running the same software - it's REALLY OLD and NOT doing the job I need it to do.

Any suggestions??

theplanet.com

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    theplanet.com
    I use some of the servers on theplanet.com, albeit via phpwebhosting.com.

I have no complaints, but I understand that some of their servers have been blacklisted for spam over the past few years.

Thanks!
    I'll check them out...

ANY MORE OUT THERE THAT YOU GUYS/GALS USE..???

Check out techark.com, been with them a couple years now. They update their software and their support is fast.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Also, check out fastservers.net. They are really reliable, cheap and their support is incredible. I've been with them for several years and they provide help immediately via phone no matter what time I call or, if I send email, I usually get help within minutes.

I am very pleased with http://www.surpasshosting.com/ so far.
    [B]~ Steven Stark[/B]
    [URL=http://www.vancouveronlinemedia.com]Vancouver Online Media[/URL]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Rackspace...

Haven't tried to get them to upgrade anything, though, except when Linux changed up to Enterprise. That was a huge PITA cuz I had to upgrade the hardware, too (causing a migration to a new machine)...didn't want to mess with any more stuff after that.

But I think upgrades to the basic stuff (PHP etc.) are a "just ask" support request; they shouldn't refuse. Of course if you install "unsupported" software, you have to deal with it yourself...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    I have a dedicated Unix server from a small, independent company. It has tons of room and has proven to be very reliable.
    There is no 24/7 tech support, although he is pretty quick with problems. When you are talking with him or emailing him, he is the one fixing it so fixes are faster than a corporate host where everything above resetting Apache must be escalated. It is a company of one guy who does hosting. He adds or upgrades most anything you ask of him, but it might take him a few days to do it. He is faster when it comes to service interruption.
    My server has been down less than 6 hours in the past two years or more and most of that was one occurrence when there was a major problem upstream.
    MySQL, php, cgi etc. are all installed. Stats software is OK, but you are able to install another stats app if you want.
    I am happy with the service. You have total control, but need to know how to use it.
    PM me if interested. I would rather not post his information. I've been with him since 1998 and am very happy. The server is $100/mo.

Thanks Everyone I will look into changing - this is a move I really do NOT want to make. But it seems that I must.

Leader - They will install just about anything for me. They have great support. But it's the CONTROL I am looking for. I can't do anything...
    I can't change a password
    I can't Point DNS without having to go through them
    I can't have scripts CREATE files without them being created as "USER NOBODY" and then I can't manipulate those files without having to go through them. It's a PAIN.

Their Software is ANCIENT and it doesn't show good "STATS"
    Searches made in MSN are not even shown.

BUT - I have never been on another server so I don't really know what I am getting into.. I have heard a lot of people talk about their CONTROL PANEL - Banning IPS - and doing other things that I do not have access to.

If you have a server with a "CONTROL PANEL" can you tell me what the benefits are and the downfalls.. if any..??

In other words - "What would you look for in a managed dedicated server and the software provided"

If it's not that much of a difference maybe I will stay with them and work things out..

Many, if not most, have cPanel which is great for control. If you have a dedicated server or reseller hosting you can get Web Host Manager as well. I have my own DNS servers so when you add a domain in WHM, it updates the DNS servers. Check out www.cpanel.com to see what you get.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Yeah, their hyper-security is a PITA. And, most of it doesn't seem to do anything other than to be a pita, either. But, you can lessen the pain with 2 steps:

1) Make 'em fork over your Root Password!! All things bow to Root. Don't let 'em hem, haw, bs, or excuse their way around giving you that ultimate key. Once you have that pw, you have demi-god status...at least within a particular little box in Texas

2) AFTER you get them to fork over that Ultimate PW, get them to explain, IN PLAIN ENGLISH (unless you understand Techie), how to do everything you've been having them do, that you want to do yourself. Bug for as long as it takes. Be relentless if you have to. If they absolutely refuse...use Google for the data. Once you have that PW, you really 0wn the machine...

All the stuff that I have come up on an ongoing basis, I do myself through the command line. If my regular user permissions aren't enough (which they usually aren't...that part's probably a Rackspace thing...), I use that Root password.

It'd drive me nuts if I had to go through them for everything. It didn't take long before I got over my reluctance to use the command line...or before I made 'em give me the root password.

As for a control panel--If I had it to do over again, the biggest change I'd make is:

I would NOT get blasted PLESK as my control panel! From what I read, I should've gotten cPanel. It seems to have lots of functions I currently have to use the command line for.

In Plesk, there's no unzip or gunzip, unzipping takes going through the command line. There's also a few other PITAs.

It gets into the server's config files and overrides them with its own. So, if you find the config files and make changes, nothing happens! And, it messes up the log files so they're no longer one single file but on a per-site bases.

It also doesn't do a clean uninstall, according to RS, so if you want rid of the wretched thing you have to reinstall the OS! So you're stuck. Unless you don't care about your data, anyway!

I really can't blame Rackspace for that Plesk suckage. They tried to tell me Plesk is a POS when I signed up...but I insisted I wanted the "easiest way to get going, quick"

I shoulda taken cPanel...it sounds much cooler...

You're right about the Webstat. That thing just sucks. I think they made that the included default, because they want to push that expensive Urchin license they offer...

SO CPanel is something that "I" would buy? Or would They buy it..??
    It looks cool enough with all the options I want..

Leader - You Unzip Files? I was unzipping huge files on my server but I noticed that when I did that the MODIFIED DATE never changed - the old file was just over written leaving the file with the same MODIFIED DATE as before.. Making it look like it hadn't been updated for years.. You think that matters?

I will ask them for the DEMI GOD STATUS.. as you mentioned. "Super Password"
    I really do not want to move - the last time I just changed an IP address it messed with my listings for over a month.. if I change them ALL NOW - I'll be groping for BACK TO SCHOOL sales..

I am paying a decent price for the space and the bandwidth.. but I want to be in control a little more.. BUT the files created by the scripts being under "USER NOBODY" and not being able to manipulate them at all is the major pain..

Any Super Techie people taht may have an answer to this problem I could give them?
    I have tried having the files created as 0777 but that still makes them USER NOBODY files..??????

Hosting
    I've been happy with Dreamhost They keep upping their bandwidth limits and have shared hosting w/ a shopping cart for a decent price. They have a panel too.

Regards,
    Peter

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Some of the prices you all pay made my eyes bug out! I pay $10. a year for my hosting. I don't know much about those things, but it seems like a good host to me. Almost no downtime in 4 years. I have php, mysql, built in chat, shopping cart, all kinds of stuff that I don't know what it is or how to use it. Unlimited email accounts, forwarding, and autoresponders, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited domain parking, in fact everything is unlimited.

It sounds to good to be true. I'm wondering what's wrong with my hosting. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Lectrickitty - Where do you host..??
    I could use an extra host for a couple of domains that only costs ten bucks a year..

You Unzip Files? I was unzipping huge files on my server but I noticed that when I did that the MODIFIED DATE never changed - the old file was just over written leaving the file with the same MODIFIED DATE as before..
    I think it does matter, SE-wise, whether static files seem to have been updated. It doesn't seem to matter for PHP...provided there are actually changes that happen, at least.

Strange that your unzips don't show a new date...when I unzip files, the files that were actually changed DO show up as modified. If I want to make sure *all* the files say modified, I just change some little thing with Dreamweaver's folder-wide find/replace so there has been a change...even if the "change" is something like adding a space after a period (making 2 spaces, which looks like one when rendered as a live page).

It'd take what seems like 1000 eternities to upload my stuff unzipped, so zipped is the way for me...

Leader - Yea I noticed that..
    I was using a datafeed and some of the products were not changing so when I ran it through my program it would create a new file but it was the same file.. so no changes. Then zipped it and unzipped it on my server.. it did not change the modified date. The NEW Files or The CHANGED files were showing a new modified date..

But making a change to every page whether or not it's with DW site wide deal or not seems like a PITA as you say.. Uploading them manually will change the modified date whether there were changes to the file or not. I only have two sites that run on static pages so once a week I just start the upload for both and go to bed.. =)

I just see a lot of people talking about unzipping files and wondered if anyone else had noticed it or even taken it into consideration when using a datafeed..?

I can't answer the question "Where do you host..??". I bought the package on ebay a few years ago. I'm not good with those tech things. All I know is that I send the payment by paypal once a year and I have a name & an email addy for contact.

I emailed them and they told me they don't sell the unlimited hosting anymore. Now they limit the storage space to 5000 MB a month and the bandwith to 15000 MB per month. And they've tripled the price. Sorry, I didn't know that when I posted yesterday.

forgot to add this: they give you a choice of cPanel or Plesk.
    Last edited by Lectrickitty; July 8th, 2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added info

So you're saying you get that for $30 a year? That makes my eyes bug out.

It still seems too good to be true. Make sure you own your own domain and can move out it all out of there if they go belly up...at that price.

I registered my domain name somewhere else, not with the hosting company. I doubt they will belly up as I've been with them for several years, but you never know, they might vanish overnight... No I don't pay $30, I pay $10. per year. I guess my account was grandfathered when they made the changes. I didn't know they raised their prices until I emailed them to get more info for AddHandler. I found out the original owner sold the company and the new owners upped the prices. They will probably keep climbing every year until they are "eye popping" like the others I've seen.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread