If I give CJ my checking account number, and they already have my address, social security number, etc., can they do anything with it? Is it safe?

They won't do anything with the info but use it to deposit your money. They've never missed a payment with us, and it sure beats waiting on the U.S. postal system.

But just suppose. . . there was a dishonest employee with access to all of our data. What could he/she do with my checking account number? Is it possible to withdraw money? I don't know -- anyone have some banking experience in their background?

Just suppose the 17 year old kid you give your credit card to to pay for your pizza needs a new stereo....

If you can't go through life with some trust what the heck is the point?

My Dad has my full name, social insurance number, birthdate, address and bank account number. He can only deposit, not withdraw. You need to sign for money when you withdraw.

And if you don't have to sign for money, then you need to give a password to withdraw it. There a lot of things to worry about. I don't think this one of them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

That's along the lines of what i tell customers who are afraid of using c.c on our ecom site.
    It is safer with us (merchants) than it is with the 16 yr old at the mall working in a store

ABW Ambassador
    Almost everything I buy, I buy online. I try to be sensible and NOT buy from sites without secure transactions, a respectable web site, a known name, etc etc, but truth be told, if I really want something everything else goes out the window, and I just buy it.

That said. Let us keep in mind that there is a VAST difference between handing someone a credit card and handing them your home address, your bank information, and your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

I don't give my social security number to ANYONE unless they have a legitimate use for it and I don't write my SS# on publically available documents (used to be required when attending OTJ training to sign an attendance sheet and include my SS# "to make it easier on HR" -- screw HR, they can look it up).

When affiliate programs ask for SS, I tell them they don't get it until I cross the magic $600 mark -- prior to that, they don't need it.

No, I don't do direct deposit and I won't.

I also have a separate bank account just for the credit/debit card I use online. I've never had a problem (and I've been shopping online for some time now and in volume), but if I do, there will be VERY limited damage.

Sidebar: As to the 16 year old in the pizza place? Deeply flawed argument. When you make an online transaction, unless the site is secure (and the only way to be completely secure is to unplug the server's connection... which makes transactions a bit tough, but it is secure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]), you're potentially offering your CC to THOUSANDS of 16 year olds (and every other age), not just one. Do you know how many bits and packets of info go through how many servers when you make a transaction online? The info does NOT go straight from my computer to the merchant's server.

And the problems aren't just during the transaction -- some sites have a secure form, but then EMAIL your data (without security) to the person filling orders. Or they leave it sitting on a non-secure server for someone to pick up through a non-secure connection.

Know the risks and make your choices based on that knowledge. And, IMO, as online marketers, instead of calming people's fears by saying they're baseless (which they are not), we should calm them by explaining our own security measures and how we guard their information.

While I think direct deposit is safe, I do have to say this. I am also a merchant with a merchant account and can accept Visa and Mastercard on my site and over the phone. All I needed to get qualified for the merchant account was good credit and a willingness to pay through the nose for the software. I am honest and VERY careful with customers' card information, but I can't say that about all merchants. Especially 16 year old merchants.

The same direct deposit CJ uses to pay publishers is also used to pay our employees. I get my check direct deposited every two weeks. Most companies pay their employees this way. It is very safe.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread