More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Getting Indexed in YAHOO
    I can not get Yahoo to spider any more pages of one of my 6 month old sites. I have good back links pointing to it but to no avail.

I know this is perhaps one of the big mysteries of the universe, but can anybody shed some light on this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm having a similar problem Cheesehead. My problem is I have a site about 2 months old with backlinks on several other sites that Yahoo visits every other day but I can't even get Yahoo to pick up the backlink and visit it. I ended up submitting it to Yahoo and the spider still hasn't hit the site

The index page is showing up but that's it. I have started to have my back links point to pages other than the index - hope that will help.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    They've been doing this for several weeks now, especially brand new sites. It's happened with two new sites of mine and I got paranoid that maybe it's because of the IP number they're on (maybe something I'm unaware of), but probably not.

I too have the probelm.... sometimes i find Yahoo just takes a while to get around to indexing an entire site....

I am now noticing this is also true of MSN...

the funny thing is after years of being ignored by Google bots... they have recently fallen in love with several of my sites...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    This is standard practice with Y. Once they have identified a site as an affiliate site they will only list the homepage which is usually updated often. If you want to get into Y. Go back to square one. Build several brand new sites and completely hide any affiliate links before launch. If you do it well two or three should make it through the cracks into the big Y. And believe you me, it is a very profitable position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gardner
    This is standard practice with Y. Once they have identified a site as an affiliate site they will only list the homepage which is usually updated often. If you want to get into Y. Go back to square one. Build several brand new sites and completely hide any affiliate links before launch. If you do it well two or three should make it through the cracks into the big Y. And believe you me, it is a very profitable position to be in.

This was not the case for my site. It had absolutely no affiliate links for 4 months with only the index page in the results.

My original site has been getting boat loads of Yahoo traffic for months now. At least until a couple of days ago. Yahoo is almost non-existant now and traffic is almost to the point that it's not worth working on that site anymore.

Just checked the Big Y and my pages are still there, just guess I got bumped from all of my positions...
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Once they have identified a site as an affiliate site they will only list the homepage which is usually updated often.~Dirk
    That idiot place has done the same thing to GoodBulbs. First they had the entire site, then they dumped it back to the home page.
    I got paranoid that maybe it's because of the IP number they're on ~Webworker
    I think it's legit paranoia. I reused one of my old dedicated IPs for GB. Before that, I had that IP aimed at a domain that I had never developed. I think they've noted all my IPs as affiliate sites. It'd sure raise the flags at Rackspace if I said, "Look, I not only need more new IPs, but the C-classes have got to be all scrambled up like eggs." They would probably get all paranoid and think I was going to send a billion spams or something.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Do this:

1. Create a Sitemap in HTML, and point links to it including from your homepage.
    2. Create a RSS Feed for your website pages, and submit to yahoo and using pingomator to ping your RSS feeds.

It worked for me, I now have 15k pages indexed for that website in Yahoo and 4k in Google. The same thing does not work pretty well for google, and then before I thought of finding a way, google introduced the sitemaps.

I think Yahoo just takes their time to index a site. I've noticed it takes about a year before Yahoo will start sending considerable traffic to a website. I started one affiliate site about a 15 months ago. Yahoo started offering traffic within 2 months, but then it was all taken away. It hasn't come back at all and I'm pretty sure this site was deleted manually from the index. For all your IP concerns, this same IP is also receiving considerable traffic from Yahoo. It took well over a year for this particular site to receive this much Yahoo traffic. Considering this, I don't think Yahoo will hinder a site for being on the same IP address.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Got my site indexed!

Possibly providing links to pages other than the home page may have helped.

yahoo has been very good to me this year..
    google.. well, that's a horse of a different color.

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo updated the index on the 20th and both new sites are in. No traffic from Yahoo yet but at least they're in - both have affiliate links but not on the homepage.

I got concerned at one point because one of the bots was just hitting robots.txt and getting a 404 and the homepage and not going any further so I put a blank robots.txt up - probably meaningless, but it can't hurt and I figure if they look for one there may as well be one there so they know there's no exclusion.

Right now MSN is the quickest to index and start sending traffic.

Y! must like me. Launched a new site with a new domain on 7/23. So far gotten 3,200 vists from Inktomi and this morning (7/27) I started getting my first Yahoo traffic from pages deep in the site. MSN and G are still crawling very tentatively.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread