Question New to creating a database for datafeeds
    Hello All,

For you more experienced webmasters and programmers. I could use some help in creating my first database using MS Office 2003. Access is preferred, but will consider better suggestion if available. I am currently studying mysql, php, java, visual basic, html, and have some experience in creating my templates. I want to make my own templates with .css, but I want to get my database built and start using datafeeds for updating my site. Is it also possible to get a program to automatically update thru the internet one's site by using visual basic or some other programming language?

All help to get me up and running would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgroup2
    Hello All,

For you more experienced webmasters and programmers. I could use some help in creating my first database using MS Office 2003. Access is preferred, but will consider better suggestion if available. I am currently studying mysql, php, java, visual basic, html, and have some experience in creating my templates. I want to make my own templates with .css, but I want to get my database built and start using datafeeds for updating my site. Is it also possible to get a program to automatically update thru the internet one's site by using visual basic or some other programming language?

All help to get me up and running would be more than appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi,

You can download the free version of WebMerge and then read the WebMerge Support Forum to learn at your own pace.

And you can try the free GoldenCAN program too on the mean time, while you learn more about creating your first database.

Almost everything you need to know about datafeeds and affiliate marketing, you can find it here on ABW.

Use the search function on any forum page and you may find some answers related to your questions.

I posted the WebMerge and GoldenCAN links above, just to give you an idea of something you can start to use right now, but the more you read and the more notes you take, the faster you will learn what to do, what to use and what to avoid.

Sal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Is it also possible to get a program to automatically update thru the internet one's site by using visual basic or some other programming language?
    PHP/MySQL It'll do anything...that you can figure out how to tell it to do.

But, WebMerge will get you up and running with spiderable datafeed pages right away. I still use that for a lot of my sites.
    Just make sure to customize your pages enough to avoid the infernal SE dup-content filters.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I would advise MS SQL Server. I rent my database server and need to know virtually nothing about SQL Server itself. I learned SQL which is the generic database language - and very easy to know the useful stuff.

Microsoft's Enterprise Manager, which you use to interact with SQL Server, is free!

I use MySQL as well. But SQL is the key. It is almost generic, whereas with Webmerge, the stuff you learn won't take you anywhere else.

Thumbs up Thank you guys... keep the good stuff coming...
    I just wanted to say "thank you" for the tips thus far. Please keep the help coming. Could you also post some sites that are prime examples of successful shops, stores, or other that are using affiliate marketing, please?
    Could you also post to me what the spiders or engines have trouble reading or recording into the engines or directories? I know they can't read java, but what else can they not read? Thanks.

You can visit Webmerge's site to see some examples of others who have built sites using their software.

Most people at ABW though aren't going to post the link to their sites (especially successful ones), but you can see some in the Site Review section.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread