ABW Ambassador
    Retire or just drop all LS merchants altogether?
    It's getting more tempting by the second.

When do they pay?
    How much is coming? There is no way to tell.
    For which month? There is no way to tell.
    Have the merchants paid? There is no way to tell.
    Ask the merchants? Ha!
    There is no way to tell when there will be a check.
    There is no way to tell IF there will be a check.
    No information. Period.

One option is to stay with the *normal* networks where they give half a clue, you know you can count on your $ and know when it's coming, and just pull EVERY SINGLE Linkshare link off sites, crank out content and make all those pages into information-only sites and run Adsense, which at least stays put and doesn't have a "Live" window following people around the screen to steal your $ away. You know exactly what's happening, it pays well and it's reliable. Something like a normal business.

I just checked again. No information. No nothing. Just some total figure which is WAY incorrect and no way to tell what any of it is broken down for or when it's payable. There is something coming up in AUGUST that some funds would have been earmarked for. Will the $$ ever get here or will I get screwed over by LS? Might as well forget it. Good thing I don't depend on them for a living. There is NO way to know.

Not a clue, not a hint. They can shove their pretty, useless pie-chart graphs. I dont care about their pretty pictures, I want information. I have had it. There is no excuse after all this time.

The temptation is to sell off my little sites for a few bucks, cut losses and aggravation and just say the hell with it all and retire into a peaceful life of predictability.
    Last edited by webworker; July 10th, 2005 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    ... a peaceful life of predictability.
    Where? How? When? For how long? Will you be happy? Are there other people there? Are they Happy?

Nature

After the initial hiccup last month and the month before I haven't really had any problems with LS. I have recieved like 6 checks already and I'm hoppy. Just hope they don't go back to the way they were. Although the new interface still sucks.

15 years and counting
    Good question Webworker.
    Let me tell you more about my own experience. My first sale from a network was from LinkShare in 1997. Since I made anywhere from $10K to 100K a month in commission with them. It took me some time to pick up the right merchants, many don't convert for a regular affiliate but you have no way to know which ones. I went thru hell with them during the dot.com crash. LinkShare was awful at that time, bullshitting their affiliates and keeping their money. I lost a bundle and they have their own responsability for not telling us they had no escrow account and their merchants were bankrupt. I've seen them listing dead merchants during several months, telling us lies (because they had a contractual agreement? bs). In 1999 it was not easy to find good merchants, Affiliate Marketing was still in its enfancy. Not anymore. We have a choice. I made the decision to move my business out of LinkShare in February. They are just a little part of my earning anyway. In 4 months I've not lost any traffic and my earning is growing. LinkShare is the network of choice for the top 200 affiliates, it means also tough competition, bad actors, If you're not a couponer, you're going to have a tough time. Now, lets go back to your question. I talked about my earning because LinkShare is taking 30% of it, so for this kind of money, I think I deserve better reports (or just the reports I need) and two ways communication. Imagine what kind of application you can buy to track your commission for $30K a month. During many years, we had no way to see which merchants were paying us and who was late. After their near bankrupcy in 2000, LinkShare gave us these payment reports to lure us back in their system. I don't understand why they are taking them away with no warning, no explanation. We need that predictability like you said. Still waiting to see if we were paid on the 8th, obviously not. What's predictable is that LinkShare is going to do it again, over and over.

I dumped all Linkshare after Christmas. Now ShareaSale has problems. Low on Funds and Temporary Off Line. I believe some Merchants use us as a launch for their Ecom business. They get us to bring them traffic with no intentions of paying. Once they establish a brand they drop us. What I don't understand is other then their monthly fee to the network they don't pay anything unless products are sold. If a company cannot pay these small commissions it doesn't say much about the creditability of that company. It's just a Scam!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    ...I made anywhere from $10K to 100K a month in commission...
    All Hail Zeus. Sorry about this post and its irrelevance but I just had to say that post just shot my motivation through the roof and got me back 'into it'.

Thank you Zeus.

ABW Ambassador
    >Now ShareaSale has problems. Low on Funds and Temporary Off Line

Is that a SAS problem or a SAS Merchant Problem?

If it happens with a few merchants, it's a merchant problem. When it happens with many, many merchants over and over again, it's a network problem. It's by far the most common complaint about ShareASale.com.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It is the Merchants fault and I would guess it's lack of funds. However in the meantime it costs both Shareasale and we the Affiliates the time in addressing this. I am sure Shareasale has policies regarding payment. We do get a warning, Low Funds and Temporarily Offline. Does one wait or remove said Merchant? I do believe that if this is a continuing problem the merchant should be taken off permently

15 years and counting
    Rogi, you need to believe in what you're doing. It takes time to have a steady traffic, repeat customers, fast paying merchants. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm in the right vertical, my figures are not that impressive if I compare them with some of my friends. The good part is that is all free SE traffic, no PPC, no ads.
    Last edited by Zeus; July 10th, 2005 at 11:02 AM.

Michael. I took a peek at your site. "Very Impressive". I very much like the prices you are asking for banners,that how to make money. Do you operate this yourself? I have a long way to go before I reach this quality. I still punch and poke with html. One has to have some tech smarts to build a site like yours. Hope your making tons of coin!

ABW Ambassador
    Here's one small example. I've got some LS merchants that convert regularly. Not all that much total income, but consistent so I know they please customers because they've bought their goods and more visitors continue to over time.

A couple of those merchants - very small amounts should be coming from sales made in MAY according to the old reports system. There is, as of now, NO indication that the merchant has paid LS, no record of any LS payment for them, either pending or sent.

That is from two months ago. At CJ I would have known in May that payment was coming, and they would have been paid on June 20th. Here it is already almost the middle of July with NOTHING on the LS site about payment for those sales.

you need to believe in what you're doing
    I do, not only believe in what I'm doing but in the value of affiliate marketing altogether. But I also need to believe in what the people I'm associated with are doing, and that they are being fair in their dealings.

It is not fair to withhold information that people have a right to know.

I've been doing less and less with LinkShare and more and more with CJ and a few independent programs. No idea what has or hasn't been paid by LS. A few checks have come but I can't reconcile anything. There are still a few LinkShare links floating around but nothing new in a long time.

I guess its a credit to LinkShare that this forum is around, but the issues brought up never seem to change. It is the same thing over and over and over again.

ABW Ambassador
    See, it looks to me like the fancy pictorial graphs and pie charts are to impress and please merchants, and that LS is bending over backwards for the merchants, even with them NOT paying when they're supposed to.

Here's a thread asking about May Payments and even APRIL payments have not been made.

The thing is that LS is acting like they have a business relationship with merchants, and what they're doing may be good for them and for AMs, but IMHO they are not acting like they have a business relationship with the affiliates. In fact, the rank and file affiliates are being treated like trailer trash, IMHO.

>>>The thing is that LS is acting like they have a business relationship with merchants, and what they're doing may be good for them and for AMs, but IMHO they are not acting like they have a business relationship with the affiliates. In fact, the rank and file affiliates are being treated like trailer trash, IMHO.<<<

I have to agree with you on that. They simply do not listen or care. I just slowly keep replacing what I can. What Linkshare doesn't seem to "get" is it doesn't matter if you do some business with their merchants if you can't reconcile it. I don't like to guess if I've been paid or not or have to spend hours upon hours trying to figure who is riding for free on my websites. It's a "trailer trash" way to do business. Veryyyy tackey business people indeed.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

None of the merchants I've talked to are any happier about this than we are. Many are upset about how long it's taking for affiliates to get paid. I've heard froms several who say the merchant Analytics reports are only marginally more helpful than the affiliate ones.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    None of the merchants I've talked to are any happier about this than we are. Many are upset about how long it's taking for affiliates to get paid. I've heard froms several who say the merchant Analytics reports are only marginally more helpful than the affiliate ones.
    That does make me feel marginally better, but it's more LS attitude than the merchants. Though some merchants historically pay LS months later and that can bollix things up if we're supposed to get paid the following month like CJ does - which is as it should be.

Thing is, back when we could tell when merchants paid 3 months down the road as standard practice, but now there is no way to know, so we're at their mercy and can't tell who the culprits are.

If LS called in a programming/statistical firm to set this all up from scratch, then that is EXACTLY the cause of the whole problem.

This is purely and simply an accounting cycle issue, and the FIRST line of action should have been a thorough analysis of the whole system by an auditor/CPA before even one line of code ever hit the paper or even one change was made to anything or one plan set in place.

Programmers and suits are not accountants, and neither are sharp sales closers who can dazzle customers with fancy colored charts and graphs and sell sizzle that doesn't work right when what the customer needs is the steak - not the sizzle. It needed a qualified ACCOUNTANT to call ALL the shots on what is essentially an accounting system.

You don't call in a florist or interior designer to fix your plumbing. The plumbing of all this is the accounting part, that is the toilet that's all plugged up - a prettied up toilet that doesn't do the job.
    Last edited by webworker; July 11th, 2005 at 09:45 AM.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    You don't call in a florist or interior designer to fix your plumbing. The plumbing of all this is the accounting part, that is the toilet that's all plugged up - a prettied up toilet that doesn't do the job.
    EXACTLY!! That made me think of the lady down the road who's toliet was plugged up. She had company coming and no money to call a plumber, so she put a pretty new seat cover on the toliet and a flower arrangement on the tank to mask the smell.

This didn't solve the problem at all... the shit was still there, just under a pretty layer that was intended to draw one's attention away from the shit. Once you got past the pretty distractions it wasn't hard to see that nothing was solved or functional.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread