Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Help! I知 computer language illiterate
    I have been reading a lot of the old posts from years back and I知 running into comments I don稚 understand. I need to learn computer language.

What痴 ODP?
    What痴 PR? (Page rank? Public relations? Peep review?)

And there are lots of other little groups of letters that I can稚 think of right now.

Is there a (sticky?) post somewhere that converts the letters to words and/or tells what they mean?

The only computer language I know is html and with all the html editors available now they make html obsolete

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What痴 ODP?
    What痴 PR? (Page rank? Public relations? Peep review?)
    ODP = Open Directory Project. Official name. Another official name for it is: DMOZ. The initials DMOZ = Directory MOZilla. Either set of initials mean the same place.
    Unofficially, you may see *me* call it the Commie Directory or D-Blows due to their hostility towards affiliate sites.

PR = Page Rank (99% of the time. If someone says a network has bad PR skills, then it's Public Relations )

Is there a (sticky?) post somewhere that converts the letters to words and/or tells what they mean?
    I remember that somewhere around here, there is a thread somewhere where a lot of us chimed in with definitions to acronyms. I don't recall it being stickied anywhere, though (but then, I have "sticky blindness" like some people have banner blindness ) And unfortunately, I was unable to come up with the magic keywords to put in the search to bring it up. Maybe someone else (or you!) will have better luck...
    Last edited by Leader; July 10th, 2005 at 09:34 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I found this post with a link to the Acronym Dictionary here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=13

Quote Originally Posted by olegkrylov
    Oh you actually want the link to click?
    Here it is:
    http://www.acronymdictionary.co.uk/index.html
    Try it!

Thanks Leader I couldn't find it on a search either.

Sal, thanks, I'll check it out.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I found this post with a link to the Acronym Dictionary here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=13
    Try it!
    That's got an acronym dictionary, but it's not The Thread I was thinking of. The one I remember had AM-specific definitions from ABWers...it wasn't a seperate site.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Animal Lover
    The one I remember had AM-specific definitions from ABWers
    The one I remember had Affiliate-marketing specific definitions from ABestWeb-ers

It's amazing how many abbreviations you end up with that becomes 'common' everyday language as time goes by...

I remember when I first started out I had a hard time figuring out what 'lol' and 'rotflmao' meant...I had to ask someone who had been around for longer...

Oscar

I did work overtime on it, but I made the post.

Now you can find it here: Latest Acronym Dictionary - Definitions - Plus Some Extra Info

Sal.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    The one I remember had Affiliate-marketing specific definitions from ABestWeb-ers

It's amazing how many abbreviations you end up with that becomes 'common' everyday language as time goes by...

I remember when I first started out I had a hard time figuring out what 'lol' and 'rotflmao' meant...I had to ask someone who had been around for longer...

Oscar
    WYBMABIITY?

Great job, Sal!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Sal, that's exactly what I was looking for. I should have known to search in the newbies section. I'm putting it in my favorites and I'll be referring to it often until I learn the lingo.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread