Anne's post has encouraged me to speak out against some other coupon abuse we've been seeing. Up until recently, most of us with coupon sites have been happily co-existing. In the past few months, we've noticed a number of very similar looking sites going up and upon further investigation we found they were all registered to an Israeli and most were hosted by Verio. Other couponers will know exactly who I mean (1-coupon-not-creative-enough-to-come-up-with-real-domain-names).. Best estimates are that this guy has about 100+ domain names, with the sites looking only slightly different and ALL of them running off the same database with the same content. Doing a google search for just about any coupon will result in his pages for the first 2-3 screens of google results. Isn't this spam? Shouldn't we be reporting him, too? I've had enough and put a SPAM report in to Google this morning. I'd encourage you to follow my lead.

-D.

Won't do any good, I've been reporting that (those) sites for a while to google... They don't seem to care.

Yea I've reported them as well. It's qute pathetic isn't it?!? Any search on google related to coupons this guy takes up almost the full first two pages! Thank goodness for PPC or I'd be outta business.

I know exactly which sites you're referring to! I don't have a coupon site, but I do get very frustrated when I'm trying to get information or buy something, and all I come up with are this guys sites!

I wish Google would dump him, he takes up way too many slots in the SERPs, and his sites truly are just .

Andy

I wonder if googleguy over at webmasterworld can help!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Take a look at google for "hobbytron coupons". He's there, but can you tell his sites from the rest on the first page? They're all keyword-loaded.

He's just got more sites than the rest listed. Is that REALLY a crime?

Maybe google needs to update their algorithm to recognise keyword-loading?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

This guy doesn't even have the most comprehensive list of coupons, since he is listing so many stores. He's banking on people looking at the top three or four sites, finding all the same coupons, and then clicking through. People may also be less likely to buy since they're not seeing coupons appropriate for their needs and yet don't know anything else is out there. Merchants are losing sales because of this guy....you'd think they'd take some action?

ABW Ambassador
    To me, it looks like the site you are talking about has reached the ideal in SEO coupon promotion. The customers have already decided what they will buy and where they will buy it. They just want to check the internet for a code to put in the promo box.

A company is using a link farm to get that coveted position of "Hobbyton coupon." Coupon sites should be applauding because the person with the best link farm optimized to the term won.

The fact that the farm includes a number of similar sites is even closer to the marketer's ideal. Sun Tzu would proudly note that he is effectively blocking other people from top search engine positions.

The award goes to the site with the most data generated pages in their link farm. This is the coupon ideal!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is the coupon ideal! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My impression of the "coupon ideal" is a site with the most comprehensive listing of coupons for merchants selected. NOT this blitzkreig this guy has going.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is the coupon ideal! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My impression of the "coupon ideal" is a site with the most comprehensive listing of coupons for merchants selected. NOT this blitzkreig this guy has going.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but it's not reality. My wife and I try to have the most comprehensive list of coupons and deals for the companies we work with, yet our search engine rankings definitely aren't where we'd like them to be. Therefore, our affiliate marketing income isn't where we'd like it to be, either.

My wife always points out "I searched on this keyword, and the top 5 sites suck--they don't even have current coupons. How can they rank higher in Google?" Then I explain that Google doesn't care about valid information (and has no way to know)--it only cares about SEO stuff.

Michael

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread