When does a merchant reach "low funds"?
    I have a few pages for SAS merchants that are not yet getting free traffic. I rely heavily on ppc to get visitors. Some of these merchants are showing "low funds" (temporarily offline have been removed already, enough is enough!).

At what point does a merchant reach this status? How much money do they have left in their account? It really would help to know when to turn advertising off so I don't end up with dead links for a merchant that has become offline, if they do.

Since we don't get notified when a merchant goes offline, unless we happen to look at our SAS stats and wonder why we're not getting hits on a specific merchant, we would never know.

Catwoman

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Catwoman,

I may be wrong but the merchant sets a "low payment notification" so that a merchant gets emailed when their account balance falls below that $$ amount.

I wander if when the balance falls below this mark, the merchant then shows Low Funds status for affiliates.

This may be the case but I am sure Brian will answer accurately.
    Shawn - Nature Hills Nursery, Inc.
    Contact Info: aol im: sms10221975 | shawn"at"naturehills.com | icq: 106-663-985
    Join the Nature Hills affiliate program now | Earn 15% per sale | 365-day Cookie

Affiliate Manager
    It's been a while and I'm not sure if it's still true. But, I believe "low funds" status is when the merchant has less than $50 funds.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hi Catwoman,

The default for when a merchant signs up is to add $50.00 to their account as a deposit. Then they have 2 options from there:

1 - add auto deposit so that when sales occour and they fall below $49.00 it will auto trigger a new deposit of $50.00, therefore they might now have $100.00 or more in the account. When they reach below $49.00 again they will now have $100.00 or more again.

2 - they can make an initial deposit of $200.00 (this will help also when they apply for Premier Status) or more when they first sign up, this way when ever they reach $199.00 or lower they will be notified by email and they can make a new deposit.

Each merchant (if they checked off "Notify On Low Balance") is automatically emailed when ever they fall under their default $ amount. If they have Auto Deposit they still get the email but then also funds are added, "while they sleep".

It would be great if one day SAS would implement a default amount of $200.00 to start. $50.00 is too low and sometimes brings only merchants that want overnight success. Also 2 or 3 sales, depending on the margin/price can cause low funds status pretty quick.

I suggest affiliates send an email to their prefered merchants and explain this. I predict most do not know this "Low Funds" or Temporary Off Line" happens or how they can easily solve this problem.

Next wish, we can work on implementing mandatory Auto Deposit and a default deposit of $200.00 for all new stores signing up effective 1/2006.

Jorge.
    I could not have put it better myself.
    though you should not be put off by low funds.
    as jorge says, if they are on auto deposit [like us]... [cheap pitch]
    then as soon as the next sale goes through
    our credit cards are cyber swiped, and hey presto !!!
    more affiliate funds are added.
    a very good system to ensure that the affiliates will always be paid
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

I don't know what other may think about this idea but, if I was a merchant on SaS and I had some affiliates already making money with my program and I was serious about making more money and have my business grow faster because my affiliates are selling a lot more of my products on any given week, I will make sure that I keep a minimum of $1000.00 on SaS to pay for those commissions.

The way I see it, if only 5 of my affiliates have a good weekend in getting a lot of targeted visitors to my store ready to buy my products and I only have $100.00 to $200.00 on my SaS account, one of those 5 affiliates will turn may account into low funds and provably one more affiliate sending more customers ready to buy, will take my account temporarily of line, so by the time the other two or three affiliates try to send me more customers ready to buy, during that weekend, the links will not make it to my store, I will make no more sale, until I replenish my account again and at the same time I will have those good affiliates mad at me with a valid reason and bashing my store on the forums.

But anyway, what do I know about been a merchant, I am just a poor affiliate with no money and no brain.

Sal.

its funny that we are here at this moment.

i have just had 3 email come in at the same time , sorry 4.

1 2checkout incoming order. [sale]
    2 affiliate transaction. [sale from affiliate]
    3 low funds at shareasale. [money gone from my account to pay affiliate ]
    4 auto deposit to shareasale. [ shareasale took money from me to top up account]

thats how it works
    and no one had to do a thing.... good innit
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

That's good to know
    Thanks all for your replies. Just in case they only have $50 in their account, I turned advertising off for one of them because I've made more than that with them in one day before. So I won't take any chances. We're probably both losing money but oh well. I'd rather lose money by not making sales and not spending a dime than lose money by spending on advertising to send my visitors to offline merchants who can't buy a damned thing.

Next wish, we can work on implementing mandatory Auto Deposit and a default deposit of $200.00 for all new stores signing up effective 1/2006.
    Jrami I like the way you think! I contacted one of my good converting merchants about auto-deposit a while ago, but they never took the bite.

Brian... if merchants get an email when they reach "low funds" status, would it be possible to implement something to let affiliates know as well?

Thanks all!

Catwoman

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread