Hi, I once asked a question similar to this on the "Newbies Q&A" forum down below. The few responses I got were distainful. Meaning, the two or three people who posted treated coupons, couponing and couponers as though they were something evil in affiliate marketing.

Yet I read posts all over ABW that some folks successfully run coupon sites.

I've been banging my head ( ) at affiliate marketing now for almost 3 months and still haven't made a sale of any sort. I've tried site templates from affiliate managers. I've tried banners and links on non-marketing sites, etc., and I'm really looking for a way to successfully make a career out of this.

So, please, someone tell me something about how to do coupons? Please? Uh -- pretty please??
    ================

Gary Speer

Quoth the Owl, "Uuuuh, I dunno?"

If I had to start now, I would never begin a coupon site. There are thousands of them.
    They are everywhere, everyone and their brother has a coupon site.

I am actually working on some new stuff so hopefully I can get out of it.

Back when I started there were only a handful of coupon sites, and when I started I didn't do it to make money.
    I really think you would be better starting with something where the market isn't so flooded.

Is there something you are interested in or that you know well? Pick some merchants related to that and build a site.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    "I am actually working on some new stuff so hopefully I can get out of it."

I will gladly accept any of your coupon customers.

writerguy what connie said, it's very competitive plus you have me as competition

Have you been naughty or nice?

If you have traffic for specific items you are selling you should be able to make sales. First question is do you have traffic?

Well, there ya go. Now I've got a sign -- nuh uh, I'm not gonna compete in ANYTHING against you, Santa. Don't want no coal lumps fer Christmas. Nope.
    =============

Gary Speer

Quoth the Owl, "Uuuuh, I dunno?"

Sorry Santa,
    Connie has already promised me all of her coupon customers. She is sending them to me as we speak.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I'm sorry you guys but no matter what connie says she will do with her customers I will go where I want.

Take care
    Gordon CEO of
    YouTrek.com
    I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>

I saw the subject, and was going to say almost exactly what Connie said (except for the part about getting out of it--I'm here to stay). I would not launch a new coupon site today, though.

When I started, I didn't know of ANY other coupon sites out there. (Connie's site was one of the few around at the time, but I didn't know about it yet. If I would have, I probably would have just used hers rather than starting my own.) Now, as Connie said, there are thousands of coupon sites. Unless you can really find something to distinguish yourself from the others, I wouldn't bother. Of the thousands, I doubt that there are more than a few dozen that have done well enough to do it full time.

I've actually had several friends over the years who have started their own coupons sites after seeing my success. None of them made it.

Back when I started my site, there were some tremendous deals and virtually no competition. Coupon sites grew tremendously just by word of mouth. I grew from nothing to thousands of visitors per day in months, with no advertising, no SEO, no promotion of any kind! That just doesn't happen today, especially in an area as saturated as coupon sites.

There are still TONS of other untapped markets. I launched a new site earlier this year, gave one of my ideas to a friend who launched his site about a month ago, and have several ideas for new sites that I hope to be launching next year. Find a need and fill it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Hey writerguy,

I'm with Connie on this one. I ran my site as a coupon site for a year and a half. Last holiday season it was actually doing very well. But this year, despite my traffic decreasing 10%, my earnings have dropped nearly 80%. So time for a change. Tearing the site up and restarting.

But to answer your question... the hardest part I found is managing all the coupons: start dates, end dates, one day only coupons -- figuring out what is worth your time to put on your site -- and what you can do without. Some coupons that I thought were great deals would get 0 clicks, and others would get tons of clicks.

My advice would be to learn a programming language like PHP or Perl. For my site I used a commercially available directory-style perl script that worked pretty well, but keeping the site updated got too time consuming.

I must echo Connie again -- find something you're interested in ... models, cars, fishing, camping, cooking, anything... then do a search on Google for it. What do the top sites NOT have that you think they should. Build a site around it.

Seems so simple, I should probably follow my own advice!

Good luck!
    ScottyB
    Internet-Bargains.com
    RaceHub.com

Ha ha Anne, I see you are still in your delusional state!

Sorry Micheal, don't get your hopes up...the new site will still have coupons incorporated, but it won't be the main focus.

If I quit coupons completely my husband would be out of a job. He is very non-techie but he can handle putting coupons in a database..

And I kind of like having him home and being his boss!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Writerguy,

If you are going to run a coupon site, you are going to need to be a good programmer. Streamline your input and maintenance process as much as possible. Don't plan to edit your pages by hand. You will not be able to keep up with start & end dates. If you spend more than a couple of hours per day maintaining it you will have no time for anything else.

A new coupon site is not going to be your money maker but it can bring in a few bucks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisk:
    A new coupon site is not going to be your money maker but it can bring in a few bucks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Very true. And it does one other thing, too. It exposes you to hundreds of merchants. Once you see which merchants and/or categories do the best, that can give you ideas about other sites to create. That might be enough of a reason to start one.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Well, coming from a guy (me) who probably has the worst coupon site I would say do not bother. Originally, I wanted to promote local merchant coupons, develope a directory, and offer paid premium placement. That was the original idea. However, with limited time (I have a demanding day job), and needing to pay the bills with the salary I am presently getting, I just caved in. I started promoting online coupon codes, and deals. Now I have a 400 plus page link farm. It is my money maker, though, so I am not doing away with it.

If I had the time I would do what Michael is doing - start on some new ideas. Presntly, I have three other sites: a magazine site (all affiliate links), a gift site (all affiliate links), and my newest project - a try at an online web community (tried this before and it became very time consuming) that offers free membership, and three-five page sites (where I hope to make my dough - "there's a sucker born every minute").

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck

Connie... you swore you would send me your old traffic... Good grief, now I have to figure out an alternate plan !!! UGH!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    Connie, i'm always available as an intern

I work in lounge pants

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread