Selling a link, but not "normal" advertising
    I'm not sure what to make of this and would be interested in others opinions.

I've had an approach from a website for them to buy an advertising link - as they put it, on a specific page. The site in question is not a merchant site as such, but is a content site run by a merchant. The page they want the link from is a very targetted sales page, so it all semms to be part of an elaborate PR building exercise.

Why I'm unsure:

1/ Google doesn't like you selling links to gain PR.
    2/ The merchant the site belongs to partner with several parasites and had approached me to be an affiliate some time ago - I declined.

Should I take them up on their offer? Is there anything else I've missed?

Talking
    reason 1 wouldn't bother me, because buying links would make my site suspect, not selling.

reason 2: how ethical are these boids? do you want your visitors to go there and get infected?

reason A: will it make you rich immediately? otherwise, goto reason 2. stop. collect nothing. pay Community Chest.

and
    >>>but is a content site run by a merchant<<<
    do you have the authority to bleed visitors from the merchant's project? how do they feel about it? etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    The merchant the site belongs to partner with several parasites and had approached me to be an affiliate some time ago - I declined.
    I think you know the answer. What difference does it make whether it's an affiliate relationship or a plain link? The end result is the same.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Cool
    Why would anyone want to trade receprocal links to some site offering free Adwhoreprotocolgy.com exams if the parent merchant site Adenematubes.com pays CPC & lead fees for hawking freebie inserts and BHO bundled installs??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the replies guys, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, I knew there was something wrong with it, but couldn't express it in words of 1 syllable.

If it looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t ....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Thanks for the replies guys, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, I knew there was something wrong with it, but couldn't express it in words of 1 syllable.

If it looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t ....
    LOL ...they must then be looking for "pecker woods"
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Reason 2 is enough, but a question on 1 - unless google is brokering the deal, how exactly would they know you bought or sold a link...?

Of course, a 3 day old domain with 150 inbound links from PR6 sites could easily trigger a flag, but a few choice links a month purchased from relevant sites? That's just advertising.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    If the price they are offering is better than what you think you would get with affiliate ads, then go for it. I like the idea of individually negotiated payments for placement.

I have a few such links on a number of my sites. The pay well and I don't see any penalties or anything for that, just make sure you don't link to a PR0 site or something.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    I think that reason #2 is more than enough to keep from agreeing to this deal. You want for your visitors to trust you. They won't if you send them off to an adwhore.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread