Question Affiliates in Australia (question for merchants)
    Hello Everyone,

Our Company is about to release its' product to the market and obviously we are firm believers in the affiliate marketing world so I have just a few questions for anyone who knows the answers (mostly Australian Merchants, if any?)

1. Do Australian merchants mostly use In-house affiliate programs or are affiliate networks more popular ?

2. Where do you find your affiliates? Besides ABW, where can you promote your program to Australian affiliates or those who will promote your program to an Australia-only audience?

3. (This one would be helpful, but I understand that most will not answer it) What kind of budget do you set in setting up, promoting and running your affiliate program?

And Lastly,

4. Is there a big enough affiliate industry in Australia, and are there enough affiliates in order to create a rather large buzz for your product in Australia - and for the affiliate program to be a fundamental part of the online-based marketing and advertising?

I would appreciate any help from anyone who is able to answer my above questions, especially those with first-hand knowledge/experience. Please, and I say this again, Please keep it to the Australian market... Our company plans to launch in other countries but we are launching in Australia first.
    Thank you in advance for any replies.

Is the Australian Affiliates forum dead? If only the thread stayed in the midnight cafe a little longer

Since i'm posting ... In addition to my previous post, i'd like to ask any Australian affiliates what they consider a GREAT affiliate Program.

I'm taking a look at most Australian merchants and they offer crappy comission like 3%, etc. What would make the australian affiliates love an affiliate program?

I have: Parasite-free, At Least 10% commish and at least 30-day cookies. If it's an indy, how important is real-time tracking to you? Seriously, any help would be great. I mean, as an affiliate and an ABW'er I guess what we want is pretty universal, but is there a difference with Aussie affiliates?

P.S. This is a ~bump

Hi Rogi,

Being an aussie aff and also a merchant with Aussie affiliate management programs so feel free to ask away... (all sites are separate identities and the merchant sites don't have any aff links - just incase some were wondering

Yes the AAF is dead, I took it off line in order to allow the Aussie affiliate market develop naturally and without mutation from the negativity of those who continually knocked some of the up coming affiliate networks and what the AAF was tying to achieve. A number of the Aussie networks has teething problems but hey that's IT, e-com and the net. It takes time to develop reliable and affordable solutions - some aussie affs were a little to impatient and this in itself was having a negative effect on the forum and the whole Aus Aff industry. In the same token... we also had a lot of great contributors who did make for a very active and interesting forum. Maybe one day I'll revive the old forum, once the industry (and some members) mature a little more.

Affiliates love their families, their partners, their pets and... $'s!
    It's the reason we stay up all hours of the night tapping away!

Actually, I find that most Aussie merchants off a lot more than 3%. Most of the ones I promote range from 8 - 35% depending on the products. Generally I find it's only the Home electronic, DVD and CD music and computer hardware merchants that tend to offer lower then 5% commish.

Personally, I have steered away from and dropped nearly all indy aff programs... been stung so many times one way or another. I still have one or two indy programs but as soon as these guys migrate over the networks (depending on which one they choose) I'll be changing links as well. This may sound really obvious, but you'll find the easiest way to reach a large number of Aussie affiliates is via the Aussie affiliate/merchant networks. I can only take an educated guess but you would be looking at between 400 and 500 active aussie affiliates currently in Oz, many promote Aussie and International merchants. And its the old tried and tested 80/20 rule - 20% of these guys would be earning 80% of the total Aussie affiliate revenue.

No being rude, but really it depends on the product you are selling, the commish, the cookie term and non-para site is great, and a real credit to you, but if your product seems not to be in demand it won't make a lot of impact on a number of the top Aussie affs. This is the ones you need to get onside in order to make a deep Aussie market penetration.

I hope that has cleared up a few of your questions, wishing you every success with your online marketing.
    Happy selling,

Les

Automate... automate... automate!
    LES: Link Exchange Scripts, Affiliate Shopping Mall Scripts and Merchant product showcase scripts at
    http://www.linkexchangescripts.com

Hi Webby,

Thanks for all your insight. I can't seem to understand why there are so little Aussie Affiliates. I started in affiliate marketing about 1 year ago and nobody back then understood AM (even after I explained it). Even today, I feel that not many people understand it. It's either you run an online shop or your doing some scam. But I could be meeting the wrong people.

What we're about to launch relies heavily on precise marketing. I know every company does, but this one even more so. It is a niche market though, there's no affiliate program (in Australia) so I think it would be worth taking a second look, for AM's with an Australian audience, especially those who have small/medium sized (aus) businesses visiting their sites.

I wonder, as a merchant yourself, could you be able to (pm me) with perhaps any numbers/figures you might have on how much traffic the 'loved affiliate programs' receive from affiliate marketers in Australa.

Webby, you believe that indy programs are no good, for AU Merchants? If I may ask, which network is in your opinion, the most effective for targetting an australian affiliate marketing audience?

Also... Haiko if you get to read this, (i'll send you a PM soon anyhow) can you send me some information on how many affiliate marketers you get from Australia to ABW, and costs for advertising here (ie; own forum).

Thanks for all your help. The AAF might be dead, but I'm an Aussie affiliate and this remains the only place where there are people who can help. So thanks for all your help.

Howdy,

I'm a very active affiliate and belong to most of the Australian programs. The majority that I have found are via networks (see my OzAffiliate site).

Australia is very lacking in affiliate programs, considering we have a similar culture and 7% of the US population.

What is lacking is a well-run network that functions properly and has an agressive sales team that approach merchants. Such a network would really kick-start the industry down here.

Rob
    Melbourne
    [URL=http://ProxyGrader.com]ProxyGrader.com[/URL]
    How anonymous is your proxy?

Hi Rogi,

I can't PM as yet as I don't have enuf posts. ~sigh~ I used to have a few hundred back in the old days of infopop but alas they have fallen into the virtual vanishing cream. Will see if i can help a few peeps here and build up a few more posts or you can contact me via my web site in the siggy.
    Happy selling,

Les

Automate... automate... automate!
    LES: Link Exchange Scripts, Affiliate Shopping Mall Scripts and Merchant product showcase scripts at
    http://www.linkexchangescripts.com

ABW Ambassador
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by enginez
    Howdy,

What is lacking is a well-run network that functions properly and has an agressive sales team that approach merchants. Such a network would really kick-start the industry down here.

Rob
    Melbourne
    I agree, the local affiliate program networks are way behind CJ, Linkshare & Sharesale.

I would like to see a network similar to sharesale as I find ss has some nice features that CJ & Linkshare don't have (although they have some nice features of their own). The main feature I like with SS is the Quick Coupon Datafeed which means I can download this every couple of days and I have all the latest coupons in my database. I just wish the other networks had this as it means I get all the latest coupons without hardly any manual work. It might take me 2-5 minutes to add one coupon for a merchant normally but with SS I can add all coupons for all merchants in 3 minutes and have it live in another minute. This is also a big plus for merchants as they get the coupons out there quickly.

This is better than Goldencan as it means the content is shown for SEO as well so each time i update the coupon database all these merchant pages get updated too so the SE's love that.

SS has another feature which I like but can't remember off-hand what it is?

I'm currently with all of the Aussie Networks but have had much trouble with most of them. CM has outdated links, the site is often down and the datafeeds are outdated and hardly get updated although they are helpful and seem to be working on their issues but it's 4 months now and I still see no change?

ClickGalore has ASPX datafeeds which are a huge mess and the whole thing is a joke, they can't be used and I dont understand merchants that would use this service?

If someone started a decent Affiliate Network in Aussie I'm sure they would be very wealthy in a few years if they do it right. At the moment the competition is weak and if you want to be the CJ of Australasia then the opportunity is waiting for you and so are the Affiliates & Merchants.

I'll be your first customer
    Let me know if you get it up and running, I'll be your first customer.

I've been looking for a while and am very very reluctant to hand over hard earned $ to networks that can't even give me an indication of what it will cost me as a merchant , nor their affiliate membership etc. etc.

So far every one seems amateurish in their approach; it does not inspire confidence.

Culturally, there is probably a bit of healthy skepticism , or even outright cynicism regarding affiliate marketing - people feel that the web is a "free" resource , like free to air TV, or the ABC and that if someone is making money from directing them to a retailer then they are being ripped off ( i.e that 5% commission to a middle man is 5% from their pocket etc. not that this budget would have been spent by the merchant on other advertsing). Of course nothing is free in this life.

If the "Naked Links" TM network didn't require such heavy monthly minimums this would be my preferred option

If anyone knows if Dark Blue is considerd a "leak" by affiliates could they let me know.

If there is any way to target affiliates who have sites that relate to or would be compatible with a certain industry sector such as health and beauty or fashion would anyone know how this can be done? Also I have a dot com not dot com dot au are there any issues there?

thanks

Susan

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >If the "Naked Links" TM network

Um, they used to have a forum here, but got so much criticism that their forum disappeard.

Just a heads up.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Thumbs up Thanks appreciate input
    Woz,

thanks for that. That is the sort of info i am looking for on this board - but couldn't find it because the thread is not here any more. Good to know I value the experience of others.

Susan

Join as Net Lawman,s affiliate partner
    [Removed Self Promotion Ad]
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; July 2nd, 2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Removed Self Promotion Ad

[Removed Self Promotion Ad]
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; July 2nd, 2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed Self Promotion Ad

Hi Rogi

I have no real input when it comes to AM companies in Australia, However I did join
    Clixgalore and posted my dealings with them here on ABW, details below. Its an account of my dealings with Clixgalore. Have a read and draw your own conclusions.
    Suggest you contact some of there merchants (wished I did), join as a affiliate Member and start contact them for feed back..

Clixgalore - My dairy as a CORPORATE PLATINUM member. Good / Bad??
    forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90297

Good Luck with your Website..

CodeRed

We should probably club together to offer a few merchant's products under one affiliate service - network ourselves - that is the point of networks!

I have been disappointed with the overall quality of the Aussie networks, having come here form the UK, so there is a clear gap in the market here, a collaborative effort would not be such a bad idea?

Hmmm.

I've got plenty of affiliate program scripts I could dig out, if anyone is interested.

Just a thought, mind you, but if one could, for example, put together a good portfolio of merchants, under one affiliate service (i.e. one login and payment system for affiliates, with access to the whole portfolio) it would be perhaps easier to connect with good affiliates?

If it's not on the market, make your own...

We are with 2 Australian networks now , but very few sales. We joined the 2 main Australian networks specifically because sales are so good through other Australian channels (e.g. ppc, advertising), but for some reason affiliates don't find our program or there just aren't many out there.

Hi All,
    There are some great businesses in Australia that would lend themselves perfectly to affiliate marketing but they are reluctant to set up their own aff. marketing program. Many of the ones I've contacted and pleaded with to offer an affiliate program seem to think it's a waste of time, which I guess is a common reaction to a new idea that they don't fully understand. I guess an affiliate network would have to be set up first in order for the businesses to participate.
    As someone else commented...Aus is wide open for a CJ type operation to get going here.
    Beethoven.

There also need to be affiliates for it to work ; )

I agree that there must be affiliates, and in fact we do have hundreds of affiliate marketers here in Aus. Most however are promoting Clickbank and the usual others such as CJ, Linkshare etc. Also there isn't any reason why overseas affiliates couldn't promote Aussie products, after all, we promote UK and USA products.
    Cheers
    Beethoven

Hi I am big in Australian Affiliate Marketing
    Hi I am big in Australian Affiliate Marketing

I have 1000s or downline members in many programs.

My advice is to have your own affiliate program.

Do not go through third parties.

Join Australian communities and Australian threads of world business communities forums and networking sites

Google search the word rexiedexie

To find sites I am associated with, this will help you.

ABW Ambassador
    I have 1000s or downline members in many programs.
    There's a big difference between MLM and affiliate marketing; and this board doesn't do or allow MLM.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread