Best Coupon site in your opinion
    I have been searching around looking at different coupon sites.. by typing in keywords like

free online coupon

or

coupons

in the search engines and seeing who is in the top 10.. some sites are good.. some sites are just a mess..

do you have a site that you think.. yah damn that site rocks!?

what do you think these coupon sites run using? msql or cold fusion?

Are you looking for sites like [affiliate site removed]
    Last edited by Kellie aka Ms. B; July 13th, 2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Posting of affiliate URLs is a TOS violation

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope

First off... mssql or mysql aren't programming languages like coldfusion, they are databases made to be used to complement a programming language (i.e. coldfusion, php, asp, etc).

Personally I think if you are going to build a coupon site as fast as possible I would use Coldfusion, just because it is so easy and very quick for building web apps. Also, I would go with mysql as opposed to microsoft sql server because it is free. I am not sure if you are hosting off your own server but generally the sql database will come with your hosting plan if you are outsourcing it.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't waste my time with coupon sites. You would be in over your head

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

trust and your an expert in that area to say that everyone would be over the heads with it? lol.. nice way of saying.. you dont want more competition

ABW Ambassador
    I don't consider you competition

I'm saying if you plan on making money with a coupon site and just starting out, you need to have a good marketing strategy, because free SE traffic is hard to come by nowadays. You should have plans to spend a little money and other ways of traffic generation. I guess that can be said with any type of site but coupon sites are pretty competitive and saturated.

my coupon site
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope
    I have been searching around looking at different coupon sites.. by typing in keywords like

free online coupon

or

coupons

in the search engines and seeing who is in the top 10.. some sites are good.. some sites are just a mess..

do you have a site that you think.. yah damn that site rocks!?

my coupon site is the best. lol. no, really... I found an affiliate site the other day that, imo, was really good. I linked to them in hopes of getting a link back, but none as of yet. I won't type in the url here due to policy. it is not my site, anyhoo. Go to Google and type "Happy Coupons" in the search. Personally, I think it is a well done site. my two cents on that

as far as actual coupon sites that offer the real deal - coolsavings has always been a real money money maker for me in the past. bringing them a bunch of leads might get you a custom deal. you would have to talk to the person in charge of that. if the commish I have made from a coupon merchant is any indication, then that is who I would suggest. I have never received a complaint from any of my visitors about coolsavings. and of course, they are not the only coupon site I have promoted, but they did well for me personally.
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

Trust is right though. Coupon sites are a lot of work. My whole premise of writing sites is that it has to add some sort of value to the web. There are a billion coupon sites, so I eventually gave up on mine and ventured into niche marketing. A lot less of a headache, and I don't have to read through 100s of merchant promo e-mails each day.

The best coupon site? There isn't one anymore. They all have exactly the same info, just different formats and colors.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    Go to Google and type "Happy Coupons" in the search. Personally, I think it is a well done site.
    The H@ppy Coupons guy ain't too bright. Nice eb*tes link in the top left. There go his commissions.

AHH! And another one down lower on the page...

In fact, that site is a clone of another site the same guy wrote. Like I said, same info, different colors.

Scott

No, but I would - ching ching$$$!
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

Personally, I think it is a well done site
    I liked his layout, not the ebates thing - for clarification.

No, mine is the best!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't consider you competition

I'm saying if you plan on making money with a coupon site and just starting out, you need to have a good marketing strategy, because free SE traffic is hard to come by nowadays. You should have plans to spend a little money and other ways of traffic generation. I guess that can be said with any type of site but coupon sites are pretty competitive and saturated.

likewise the only competition i have is the first page and the first 10 sites for the keyword phrases i wish to be ranked for.

I use both ppc and seo and do it full time.. the amount of times I have heard people talk about competition and saturation to put people off going into a niche is lots.. yet I have ventured in to those competitve niches and still make alot.. lets face it in the most competitive niche 98% of the sites are no the competition and can easily be out ranked.. its the 2%...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    No, mine is the best!
    coley what happened to your page rank.. though it doesnt matter...anymore.. but did google zap you!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB
    Trust is right though. Coupon sites are a lot of work. My whole premise of writing sites is that it has to add some sort of value to the web. There are a billion coupon sites, so I eventually gave up on mine and ventured into niche marketing. A lot less of a headache, and I don't have to read through 100s of merchant promo e-mails each day.

The best coupon site? There isn't one anymore. They all have exactly the same info, just different formats and colors.

Scott

Very good Scott.. thats 99% of my business niche sites.. whether your mainting 1 site or 80 sites.. its still going to be work!. Unless of course you outsource and employ people..

So I never rule out anything intill tested... so here comes another coupon site..

ABW Ambassador
    If you feel confident starting a coupon site, start one. Realize in order to be competitive it's going to have to be your main focus, it'll take up most of your time. And use this thread to keep us updated. Kind of like a case study/diary or something. I would be interested in how things pan out.

So fellas, if a coupon site isn't the best to start and operate for the $$$, then what is? Give me some ideas. Also include some ideas for the simplest way to make the site too, ok? Thanks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's a cinch the good coupon sites require more work, SEO and PPCSE, then newbees can offer to steal their sizzle. Thyy have developed a loyal following and have huge e-mail lists. A product populated Cybermall takes work too and is much more then choice of a border color and what font to use for the tired text logo. Throwing up a Mall with a merchant text link directory and plopping in a ecatalog feed runs you straight into the SERP filters.

Spend a few days making your own custom site template layout differenciator. Google a niche product verticle that's not over exposed. Then choose some merchants satisfying those niche product seekers with both content and product links. Get real with the buyers and you'll do OK.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker Jones
    as far as actual coupon sites that offer the real deal - coolsavings has always been a real money money maker for me in the past.
    Coolsavings:
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453076021

"Can't be uninstalled by Windows Add/Remove Programs and no uninstaller is provided with the application"

Check out the instructions for removal there...

You're putting money in your pocket in exchange for contaminating your visitor's computers. You must be very proud of yourself.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Moderator Warning:

Do NOT Post Affiliate URLS - it is a violation of our policies!

See that big red reminder over each posting window? Please respect the forum policies. If it's not *your* domain, don't post it!

I agree coupon sites are a big headache, if your a one man operation, dont waste your time! Its very hard to compete with the big dogs much less updating and sorting throught 100's of emails a day. I am in the coupon business myself however i am thinking of very strongely to discontinue my efforts at the start of the new year and focus on just a couple of merchants. If i were you I would focus on 1 merchant that has good coupons and build a niche site that focus on that 1 merchant

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread