Cool Tool
    Has anyone used Activewords? It looks like a useful tool that could speed things up plus improve my spelling (and no I don't have anything to do with them although I wish I could say I was the developer.) Am I allowed to post the link?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    what does it do?

ActiveWords adds words to Windows, providing a personal, portable, context free user interface with immediate response. Your words launch programs, jump to websites, send email, substitute text, search, and more. Receive information about any word or phrase in any context. Enter or select words in any context and your computer immediately delivers the results you want. They have a free download and a good demo. I'm going to give it a try.

One thing it does is open sites...like I could set it up to where when I type in ABW or Goog - it immediately opens the page or program. Plus, it corrects spelling as you type - quickly. The demo is impressive..so is the price.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Sounds great - let us know how it goes.

Also sounds like it monitors what I type and do - that scares me enough that I'll be avoiding it altogether. I don't know them at all - they could be priestly, honest monk programmers for all I know - but my experience with OTHER bad actors tells my gut to run for the exit doors.

Yep, I'm hard to please - RoboForm does some of this same type stuff (monitoring me I mean, not the actual product functions) - and I love RoboForm and have recommended it here. So if I were you, I'd hardly listen to me... like the others here already have learned... heheheheee!

Hope it works great for you!

I agree - it sounds a bit SpyWare-like to me...

Perhaps I'm just being too suspicious, but these days... any "program" that guesses what I want and takes me there, that concerns me.

Of course, I'm more than willing to be proven wrong (it happens often, so I'm used to it).

Paul

Adware? I don't think so. It's a word processing tool or seems so to me and allows you to program your keyboard to do functions beyong the function keys. (i think)
    leeann

Oh, I got a completely different impression....

My bad.

Paul

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I'd like to test it also. Can you send a link to me @ moviebuff at fastmail. fm

I'll download it on my other computer and test it there. Run lots of spyware and adware killers first, then see what happens.

http://www.activewords.com It is cool, nice find leeann.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ActiveWords - kind offer
    Hi,

I discovered this board post through BoardTracker, a search engine for forum posts that was just launched. Out of curiosity I entered [ActiveWords] as my search query and ended up here (by the way, it was the only search result BoardTracker was able to come up with, but that's beside the point now).

In my spare time I enjoy answering ActiveWords support requests on the ActiveWords Support Forum and I write articles about it on my blog AWesome. If people on A Best Web would like to know more about ActiveWords then I'm very willing to answer your questions.

ActiveWords is mostly used by people who'd like to keep their hands on the keyboard, instead of switching to the mouse backwards and forwards. Think of it as having the functionality of Microsoft Word's AutoCorrect, but then in every Windows application.

I personally define a new active word as soon as some repetitive action comes up in my daily tasks. This could be as simple as replacing an abbreviation with longer pieces of text, or as 'complicated' as having a script executed depending on the context of the currently running application. The ActiveWords scripting language contains about 100 commands.

Most people who've got the hang of ActiveWords dearly miss it when they need to work on a computer that doesn't have it installed. There are quite a few ActiveWords plug-in libraries made available by the ActiveWords programmers that help to quickly access your favorite search engines, expand frequently used abbreviations and correct spelling mistakes. Other libraries allow you to use ActiveWords with specific applications, like Palm Desktop or Salesforce.

I'd be delighted to answer more questions. If it gets too techie for me, I can call in the help of the ActiveWords people themselves.

Kind regards,

Marjolein Hoekstra
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; October 23rd, 2005 at 12:38 PM. Reason: unlinked

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    they could be priestly, honest monk programmers for all I know

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread