Quick blogging question
    From an SEO perspective, do blogs hosted at Blogger (i.e. xxxx.blogspot.com) rank as well as installing MoveableType or Drupal, etc, at your own site?

Meaning, in the old days, free Geocities sites wouldn't do well, but hosting your own website improved your odds of getting into play.

Is the same true of blogging?

i too have been wondering about it. Lately I've come across lots of spam sites on blogger.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as SEO, i would think a blog site is no different than any other other site. People are spamming with blogs, they are spamming with their own sites. People have good blogs, people have good sites.

Spamming aside, I still wonder if google penalizes "free" blogs the way they penalize "free hosted" websites.

ABW Ambassador
    Google is not going to penalize something they own (Blogger) unless you do something penalizable. That's not even a word is it? I see a lot of blogspot sites with nice page rank, nice listings, nice traffic etc.

Internet Cowboy
    I have a blogspot blog and use it to promote my sites, as well as to host some of my rants. It ranks higher than many of my sites on the same keyword.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The main problem I can see with Blogger is the same issue that affects all free hosts: Lack of your own real domain name. If you use a standard free-site type domain name and ever decide to change hosts, all the old links and bookmarks go dead.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Well there it is, then. Thanks for the input.

Own your own content
    Another thing to consider before deciding on whether to use a free blog service vs your own web site and CMS tool: It's an investment to write content for a blog, and I'd rather protect my investment by using my own site. I can control everything I post, and I can manage my own backups. And if I decide to take a break for a while, I don't have to worry about my blog being discontinued (happened to me last year... doh!).

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Ask Chuck 'the Hammer' Hamrick what happened when he moved one of his WordPress blogs from their hosted service to his web server..

Let me just add, I find it hard to take a blogger serious (if they're posting about serious subjects - like making money) if they can't afford to purchase their own domain and hosting. Just my 2 cents (and there are always exceptions to the rule).

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    My dad has an affiliate site that does great traffic but doesn't convert affiliate links. We have been experiementing and he put up a blog that was hosted by Wordpress. It never really gained traction. Based on conversations with affiliates and discussions at our RMAMA group I downloaded the blog to his server and ported the postings over.

I screwed up converting to the theme he had (forgot to RTFM) and then got busy for a month. He never linked it to his site and still had the old blog. When I came back and fixed the one hosted on his domain I checked his log files. His traffic increased by 50% in that month and all was pointing to ../wordpress/ on his site. It wasn't even linked to his site, you could only have found it through other blogrolls or SERPS.

WordPress incorporates Pingomatic and for the download version you can install FeedBurner. Highly recommended by successful affiliates everywhere.

As people have mentioned, one of the most overlooked and most important SEO techniques is keywords in your domain name. So, you get your own domain, you get to choose a good one, you rank better in SE's!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread