Limewire - Spyware?
    Hi All,

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this topic but since this is the "lounge" I thought , "why not" ?

Many people have been telling me about a new P2P program called Limeware lately. They all say it is the best, most popular program to use and that Kazaa is dead.

But when I asked them if it contains any adware/spyware/trojans , they kinda hesitate and then say "no. no it's fine" ...

I don't believe they know what spyware is - hence the hesitation - and so I searched google and found some people who "swear" it doesn't and some who "swear" it does.

Then there are those saying that the "new" Limewire or the "Limewire pro" is spyware-free. I didn't even know there was an "old" Limewire.

I love downloading music but Kazaa really gave my last computer problems and since buying this newest one I have been very hesitant to download anything except known AM tools.

I trust many of the opinions from members of this forum and would like your experiences/opinions/findings on whether it is clean or dirty.

Thanks

mopek

Cool Buy it instead
    Why not BUY the songs from Napster, Real, iTunes, eBay, Best Buy, Circuit City, or Buy.com???? They range anywhere from $0.59 - $0.99

I can see the fascination with stealing the music for free in the early part of this millenium, but c'mon....be legal...stop breaking the law...

To quote from the Cranberries:
    "Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't You???"

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Limeware has been around for at least 4 years now... I used it faithfully for awhile to get imports and such that weren't available here. Anywho, I never had a problem with spyware when I used it - it was clean - but I honestly can't vouch for it these days, as I haven't used it in about two years.

And ArabShopper, he never said he was getting music off it. I've gotten software plugins etc, off Limeware, as well as images and video interviews of some of my fave Euro bands that you can't find here. It isn't all about stealing.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Quoting
    Hey Istolze,

Sounded like it when mopek mentioned:

"I love downloading music but Kazaa really gave my last computer problems and since buying this newest one I have been very hesitant to download anything except known AM tools."

Iz All Good in Da Hood

I *have* seen spyware bundled with versions of Limewire - I'd proceed with caution.

Even "legitimate" P2P applications can be a nightmare though if you share out your own content as they open a potentially huge security hole on your PC.. either because the P2P app is incorrectly configured or simply because it has vulnerabilities. Unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to regularly check for updates, the P2P apps are best avoided in my opinion.

For the record - intellectual property *is* important to many board members. Just wait until someone rips off your site and you'll soon know what I mean!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabShopper
    Hey Istolze,

Sounded like it when mopek mentioned:

"I love downloading music but Kazaa really gave my last computer problems and since buying this newest one I have been very hesitant to download anything except known AM tools."
    Duh...You're right. LOL! Sorry, I guess I always want to look on the positive side of things. That, and it was too late for me (*yawn*). My bad! Wasn't balling you out about it, but you sounded like Metallica for a minute there.

And for the record, my site has been ripped off - by some spa in France. Actually, it's kind of flattering, and doesn't cause me any hardship. They were even kind enough to leave a bunch of links with my affiliate links (due to their seemingly inept web 'designer', so it's really a win-win for me. Of course I am one of those people who legitimately would download a couple tracks, say "Hey, this is very cool!" and still buy the album, but I guess everyone isn't like that. And also, I promoted a local band that got exposure in Australia and throughout Europe because we threw their stuff into Napster and Limeware back in the good old days. If you would have asked them about intellectual property, they would have said so what? People are listening, that's all that matters. So there are pros and cons here. BUT, I certainly understand the other side of the coin myself, and don't want to be pegged as an 'intellectual property thief' so I'll get off my .

It's all good until someone loses an eye!
    Last edited by lstolze; July 14th, 2005 at 08:16 AM. Reason: To add...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabShopper
    Why not BUY the songs from Napster, Real, iTunes, eBay, Best Buy, Circuit City, or Buy.com???? They range anywhere from $0.59 - $0.99
    Yes, I agree completely.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Talking Sore subject
    I'm a lyricist trying to break into the industry and I just think of all the money I won't be making if they are downloaded illegally. I can totally see Metallica's point.

I'm an avid Napster user now, they have a great service (and they convert really well on CJ)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Duh...You're right. LOL! Sorry, I guess I always want to look on the positive side of things. That, and it was too late for me (*yawn*). My bad! Wasn't balling you out about it, but you sounded like Metallica for a minute there.

And for the record, my site has been ripped off - by some spa in France. Actually, it's kind of flattering, and doesn't cause me any hardship. They were even kind enough to leave a bunch of links with my affiliate links (due to their seemingly inept web 'designer', so it's really a win-win for me. Of course I am one of those people who legitimately would download a couple tracks, say "Hey, this is very cool!" and still buy the album, but I guess everyone isn't like that. And also, I promoted a local band that got exposure in Australia and throughout Europe because we threw their stuff into Napster and Limeware back in the good old days. If you would have asked them about intellectual property, they would have said so what? People are listening, that's all that matters. So there are pros and cons here. BUT, I certainly understand the other side of the coin myself, and don't want to be pegged as an 'intellectual property thief' so I'll get off my .

It's all good until someone loses an eye!

The seller sets the price, not the buyer. Who cares about your success or not, that does not allow you to dictate the prices for everyone else. Quit dressing it up - you are a thief, plain and simple.

Also check on itunes, they have many bands not available stateside - The Go! Team for examplei is a $30 import on amazon, $10 on itunes.

Chet

Chet,

You're being kinda harsh, dontcha think? Calling me a thief? As I said, I used Limewire for other things - it ain't all about the music. What about all these sites that offer one or two songs to entice buyers? Same thing. Is it okayed by the artist - most of the time yes - but it is the same principle that I had using this. And what about stuff you can find through search engines anyway? I used to get images and such on there, as well as ROMs. Things that are offered freely all over the Internet. This program just made it easier to find what I wanted. My band put their songs out there, and sold CDs after people heard their stuff on Limewire. You don't care about 'my success' fine, but don't be a condescending ass about it. I did say I see both sides, and that I don't even use these programs anymore.

Chill out and take a pill. Like you never ate a grape in the supermarket, saw a dollar on the ground and picked it up, or kept a magazine that came in the mail to you by accident.

And btw, many bands ARE NOT against this software, so I guess they're asses too, huh? Pffftt!

Why does there always have to be one uptight person jumping all over people in these OT threads? You don't agree? Fine. Don't flame me just because I said I had used this thing before.
    Last edited by lstolze; July 14th, 2005 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Limeware-Limewire Doh!

I was going to edit my post above, but decided to make another post. I meant what I said, however, I want to clarify that I absolutely understand what people are saying, and know that these services are detrimental to artists. However, I do not appreciate being flamed as if I am one of these college kids that has several Gigs of 'stolen' music on my PC. I made it very clear I was not an avid music downloader, with the exception of some hard to find Rammstein covers - and they are, btw, a band that actually LIKES technology like Napster and Limewire - I used it for the other purposes I mentioned. This all started with someone asking a question, me answering to the best of my ability, and then having to clarify that I in fact have had intellectual property ripped off, because apparently I am a bad person for having used software like this. **rolls eyes**

I respect you Chet as a fellow ABWer, but I think you were off base in your comments to me.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Angry
    P2p networks are responsible for billions in copywrite theft every year... one small theft at a time. They also have infested 100's of million of systems with Adware -Spyware and viruses. The money they pilfer comes from affiliates here at ABW and goes into drug parties -Tittie Bar tips and fueling broken marriages and bling bling for the operators.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

LOL! Not sure about all that...

Anyway, when I used this stuff (back in the stoneages) there was no precedent on this, and no one thought of it as stealing. I think I deserve a pardon based on the fact that I stopped as soon as they declared it illegal.

And as an aside - alot of people that used this back then didn't profit from it, the software was free, and spyware in the software wasn't an issue. So if someone thought they would get rich, they really dropped the ball.

And btw, people in the 80s and early 90s used to copy their LPs onto cassettes and record songs off the radio, while sharing all the tapes with friends. I think everyone on here going off must have forgotten what it was like to be young then, and for this to be common and not represented as 'unlawful'. But whatever, I'm a thief, mopek's a thief, and so are about 98% of the world's population to some extent - we're all gonna burn for some little indiscretion...

Wow... didn't expect things to turn into a discussion about whether this is right or not.

First thanks to those who responded to the original question about spyware.

Second about "stealing" - I have heard "great" arguments on both sides and am not about to get into this as we could go on forever.

Thanks again.

mopek

Np Mopek. Sorry your thread got hijacked!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Not sure what Limewire is up to these days, but for sure when they were in their prime they bundled the application with their own 'shopping assistant' put out by TopMoxie.

But folks should be careful with P2P programs. BitTorrent is under fire right now because adware is being delivered through these types of applications. Guess that activity has increased of late.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Np Mopek. Sorry your thread got hijacked!

these things happen

Funny
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    The money they pilfer comes from affiliates here at ABW and goes into drug parties -Tittie Bar tips and fueling broken marriages and bling bling for the operators.
    This is too funny! What are you talking about?

I assume you are on a windup?!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivid
    This is too funny! What are you talking about?

I assume you are on a windup?!
    Actually I have a feeling that Ecom is right
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread