Spammed by merchant newsletters!
    OK, it signed up for the programs so maybe it isn't technically spam but it sure feels the same.

1. Told me to use good title tags.
    2. Told me placement of links on the page are important.
    3. Told me not to bid on certain terms even though I don't buy advertising.
    4. Told me that they have free shipping even though that was mentioned when I signed up for the program.
    5. Looked more like they were trying to get me to shop at their site than promote the affiliate program.
    6. Really said nothing that wasn't on their sign up page
    7. Told me a bunch of yea, rah, we're great. Most of the info is on their sign up page. Puffery!
    8. Some had coupons. If they aren't using the SAS current coupons list, I don't guess they will be used.

I was ready to just go through and delete the whole lot until I found.......

the one merchant e-mail that actually addressed something to ME. AND! It just had the merchant name in the title! I almost deleted it because I thought it was just more merchant spam.

Shall I wade through and open or do a mass delete of the rest?

What a pain in the butt merchant spam is! It really interfers with communication!

Maybe, I need to send the merchants a different e-mail and tell them, "If and when you actually have something to say to me, that is about me or my sites, send it here!"

But, if I did that, they would probably send me e-mails telling me title tags are important and.....
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    You signed up with a merchant, they sent you a newsletter. Oh no. That's not SPAM in my book. Just put them on your block list if you don't like merchants newsletters.

me thinks you are a bit too touchy... strike that... a bit too poopy.

Maybe it was a general letter sent to all affiliates. Maybe some affiliates need that kind of information. Maybe it was a letter to try and get the affiliate to get off their butt and build pages with those links?

I dunno, but from where my can is, I can tell your touching the Poppie Nubert egomania zone.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. What if they actually DO have something important to tell me? Actually, I doubt as things stand, now, they would have much luck getting my attention unless they use a title that lets me know it is something I need to read.

Merchant spam makes real communication almost impossible.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    It is a kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. For Merchants and affiliates. This came up in a SAS thread a bit back.

What is needed across the board is a system to let Merchants know which affs are interested in what types of emails (or communication). There needs to be a better way to target the message to affiliates so affiliates aren't bogged down in stuff they don't want and Merchant's messages are more likely to be read by affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    After you sign up with a merchant, just throw up some checkboxes or something and the affiliate can check off what they want to receive.

That is such a good idea and so over due!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar

Kellie,
    There needs to be a better way to target the message to affiliates
    There is!

Within SAS you can narrow the criteria of what affiliate, receives what newsletter. You can group affiliates too like show only affiliates from certain groups you create and then send those affiliates an email targeted to them. You can also check off individual affiliates from the main list.

Also for example: your merchant can create a group called: "Affiliates That Hate Email. Then you only send this group an email every 45 - 60 days or longer.

There are like 10 different ways to send newsletters and you can even decide if you only want affiliates to see it or make it viewable public.

I personally have never used any of these criterias, to me every affiliate should know what I have to mention this month and important enough to receive the same email as the rest of affiliates. Now I do try and send a newsletter within 20 - 30 days apart and with relevant info. Also I have a link refering back to abw for affiliates to keep up to date at their leisure.

SSanf, I'm going to create that "I hate email group and put you only in it"

I still think it's like picking the fly poop out of the pepper.

I still think it's like picking the fly poop out of the pepper
    my pepper pot only has little tiny holes in the top
    it would have to be a good fly to get it in.
    thats if it did`nt start sneezing before he had done the dirty deed.

poops
    how do you think of these things ???
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Face it us affiliates are the first line of a merchant's customer base.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Sorry, but I am hardly a prospective customer! I do this to make money, not to spend it!

I am going to buy the stuff in my stores? Yeah, right. Sure I am. For the most part, not likely. I already have all the stuff I want for the forseeable future.

posted by sandra
    I am going to buy the stuff in my stores?
    i thought you had a string of birth control sites sandra LOL..LOL
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Yeah but if I did, what would I want with the stuff at my age? I tell ya, I ain't no prospect!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    5. Looked more like they were trying to get me to shop at their site than promote the affiliate program.
    I've noticed that sort of thing. What do they think - we actually care about or use their products? I just want to promote was sells best and collect my check!

You got that right!

I like getting emails from merchants. They have taken the time to send their online marketers a message, and I appreciate hearing from them, no matter what the content. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind receiving more merchant emails. All it takes is a quick 5 second scan of the email unless it's worth a longer read.

Quote Originally Posted by deepestblue
    I like getting emails from merchants. They have taken the time to send their online marketers a message, and I appreciate hearing from them, no matter what the content. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind receiving more merchant emails. All it takes is a quick 5 second scan of the email unless it's worth a longer read.
    Agreed I like the newsletters they are informative. If you don't like them just optout. I see the option to opt out for all of my merchants

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    I appreciate hearing from my programs. When I don't get ANY emails from a program, and have no idea if someone even works there, that bothers me. As for buying their stuff - I only promote sites and stuff I enjoy. I order through my sites often, for myself, for gifts, etc. I also appreciate knowing what promotions merchants are offering my customers via email, so I know if they're are trying to jip me out of sales.

Use an email just for these newsletters and sift through the muck every other day or so, opt out when you can, etc. Life's too short - don't stress over newsletters!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread