Need Help with Linkshare Merchandiser
    I got the Linkshare merchandiser guidelines in PDF format. Can I copy the Appendix E to MS Word and fill it up there and email to Linkshare or do I need to actually print it and fill it up and rescan?

I also read in the guidelines that we are required to download the datafeed file daily or get suspended, is this true?

Animal Lover
    I sent it off in MSWord - I also printed out the pdf form and filled it in manually and sent it off to them via fax just in case they wanted it in the pdf format with the tables etc.

I'm not sure about the downloading daily thing. Did you ask them?

The other question I do have is whether I can download using a shared IP address or do I need a dedicated IP address for my site?

Oscar

The IP they need is the IP that you will be downloading to. Whether that is your site (via a script) or your desk, where you do something creative with the feed(s).

Looks like lots of folks got the invite for Merchandiser? Interesting.

Fred

Animal Lover
    Thanks Fred. Yes got the invite...and got accepted

Have to start working out the script to pull data down now.

Oscar

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    The IP they need is the IP that you will be downloading to. Whether that is your site (via a script) or your desk, where you do something creative with the feed(s).

Looks like lots of folks got the invite for Merchandiser? Interesting.

Fred
    Fred it was in the monthy newsletter.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Animal Lover
    After you've been approved and a list of merchants sent to you in the acceptance email - how long did it take before the feeds started to show in the ftp account? The email said 1-2 days - it's been 4 days now and everytime I check I get the files in my ftp account but they are all empty files?

I've sent a few emails to LS but no response yet.

Oscar

If you're seeing files, it should be set up right.

Make sure you're downloading the right files. For instance, if it says 1234_567890_mp.txt.gz.lmp, the file you need to download is 1234_567890_mp.txt.gz. The .lmp extension is just a macro.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Also I have to call each file separately - ie not *.gz but rather 1234_567890_mp.txt.gz and 1235_567890_mp.txt.gz and ...

Charles

And if you're using a common FTP program it may not work with Linkshare's ftp setup.
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Animal Lover
    Thanks all for the replies - I use AbsoluteFTP and it shows up the file sizes - I just thought it was a tad strange that all of them had 0KB...I did read the download script that you had Michael and am trying to put together one in php.

cheers,
    Oscar

Right, they'll all show up at 0kb, but when you download them (without the .lmp), they'll be right.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; July 18th, 2005 at 07:21 AM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Animal Lover
    Thanks Michael, I've worked that out...Now I need to get them to add a couple more IP addresses so that I can automate it better. Sent them a few emails but I guess it is the weekend and I don't expect a reply till early next week...no harm...need to bury myself in the latest Harry Potter novel anyway

Oscar

Animal Lover
    Another question guys - I've got it to download now but do you guys download your feeds straight to your sites? I only ask this because of the rule that LS has about letting them know which IP addresses you want to download their feeds from. So assuming you have different hosts for different sites - do you update them with every IP address or do you just download all the feeds onto 1 IP and then ftp across to your other sites?

I've done the latter - if only because I gave them only a couple of IP addresses and conveniently forgot other sites I would be using the feeds in...I guess I could always ask them to add more IP addresses but it takes them so long to respond...

Oscar

I have one database server and multiple web servers. I download all my datafeeds directly to the database server and process them there. The web servers all access the database server to get the latest scrubbed data. These are dynamic sites. If I were doing static sites generated from the datafeeds, I would still do something similar: Download the datafeeds to one server. Build the sites. FTP the static pages out to the appropriate servers.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Animal Lover
    Thanks Michael - I thought that was what some would do.

Oscar

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread