BulletinBoard Queries? Am I penalized?
    Hello All,
    I have managed to remove all my many almost thousands of query links from my domain that I did not even know I had. Now, I am left with only my BulletinBoard Querie Link files.

Will the SE penalize me for those. I understand that SE and Google does not like query links,

Thanks Ruth
    Slowly getting educated here,

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are you talking about links like this: yoursite.com/somestore?=12345&other=8767 ??

I've found that those actually can be indexed fine enough, as long as there aren't too many queries in the link, and there's no session ID.

Some board threads have a harder time getting listed, because some software puts tons of queries in every link. On the other hand, there is also some board software that's nice and SE-friendly...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

What about a blog on my home domain?? SE Trouble?
    Thanks Leader, I also have a "blog" on my site with this type of query:

http://www.mysite.com/blog/?cat=2

Will "mysite" be penalized for having these query links? I hear so often the SE do not like query links.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RUTH

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My blogs seem to do well despite having queries, but maybe that's because of the subject matter (ie, little competition) rather than how the URLs are.
    Some others report that hiding the queries helps their sites rank, though, so maybe there is a difference that shows up with more competitive keywords.

I've moved the thread over to the Google forum in Search Engine Insight. Maybe it'll get more responses now. (I know you were asking about all SEs and not just Google, but I had to pick one to move it to.)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    My blogs seem to do well despite having queries, but maybe that's because of the subject matter (ie, little competition) rather than how the URLs are.
    Some others report that hiding the queries helps their sites rank, though, so maybe there is a difference that shows up with more competitive keywords.

I've moved the thread over to the Google forum in Search Engine Insight. Maybe it'll get more responses now. (I know you were asking about all SEs and not just Google, but I had to pick one to move it to.)
    Thank You!

Its not so much that I want them indexed, the blog or bulletin board, but I do not want them to stop my regular domain web pages from being indexed. My web pages indexes are moving up because of "natural" web building from content and links from articles writing and posting, manually , and I would hate my blog and or bulletin board to mess up what I have worked hard to achieve so far,

Having those urls on your site should not affect the indexing of your static pages, you should be fine.

However, you should take advantage of the additional pages, they can pull SE traffic too. But, as Leader said, the more queries, the less SE friendly.

Mod_rewrite can be your friend here.

what is Mod_rewrite
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Having those urls on your site should not affect the indexing of your static pages, you should be fine.

However, you should take advantage of the additional pages, they can pull SE traffic too. But, as Leader said, the more queries, the less SE friendly.

Mod_rewrite can be your friend here.
    Thank you Drastic,
    What is Mod_rewrite?

It's an apache module that tells the server to grab urls like

example.com/display.html?=big&green&widgets

when requested as example.com/big-green-widgets.html

so your urls are static and more SE friendly.

Lots of info and tutorials out there, use your favorite SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    It's an apache module that tells the server to grab urls like

example.com/display.html?=big&green&widgets

when requested as example.com/big-green-widgets.html

so your urls are static and more SE friendly.

Lots of info and tutorials out there, use your favorite SE.

OK Drastic, This is toooo Cool Thank you. I had one of those Programs on my server, and I went in to the blog program, set it up, and now I am getting nice file names instead of queries. Thanks so much,

Ruth,

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread