Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Httpme.Com Hosting is Costing me EVERYTHING
    I just wanted to put a warrnig out to all of you out there either using httpme.com for hosting or are considering them. My affiliate commissions over the last few months have averaged $1500 - $2500 per month. My sales have been VERY low this month, my commissions month to date are around $50 stinking dollars.

Today I have been researching in to why, httpme SUSPENED my key producing sites back around June 20th or so, AND DID NOT INFORM ME!!! I have had nothing but good to say about them until NOW. This is total bullshit; My sites that were shut down have lost their indexing in the engines!

Their reason was the server load was too high! These sites have been on this same server going on 2 years now, with less traffic than they once had, and now all of a sudden there is a problem that warrants suspending them without notice!!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I PAYING THEM FOR!!!

There is nothing I can do now but look elsewhere! But if you are using httpme check your host manager ASAP. And if you are considering them as a host, DON"T DO IT!

dak

If they didn't properly inform you. I say SUE their asses.

But again you don't check your sites daily to see if they are up?

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    That sucks. I have been with httpme a few years now and only one time was my sites down and that is when they moved datacenters. Support has always been great too. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for all customers.

I do use a few other hosts and you might want to look into powervps.com. Great support, VPS (virtual private servers) are a baby step towards a dedicated server, their prices a close to httpme but you get more space and bandwidth.

That is absolutely horrid! I would check with your lawyer!

You probably can't win but I sure would ask! They may pay you something just to avoid the legal entanglements. It could help tide you over until you get things going again.

What idiots!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

What I don't understand is how you didn't know your sites were down for a month. I check mine numerous times throughout the day.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My sympathies for the surprise shutdown!

As for not noticing the downtime until now...I can sort of see it if there's lots of sites, especially if total automation is in place. But I check my stats all the time, and if I see something oddball like "2 hits" reported at CJ for a site that had been ranking, that site will be getting a visit from me, quick.

A monitoring service would be a good investment for anyone who takes the "forget it" part of "set it and forget it" very literally...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Sue them

Most web hosting contracts state they can terminate you at any time for any reason. Don't think you can sue for shutting your site down.

I'm pretty sure HTTPME was sold sometime this year. New owners are probably enforcing things alot tighter than before.

Sorry to hear about that. Like the rest I am surprised you didn't notice this before, but they should at least notify you if they shut you down for such a reason.

Asking your attorney is also a good idea. Suing them would cost too much and take long time, who knows if you would even win. But a letter from a lawyer might force them to pay you at least something.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I do use a few other hosts and you might want to look into powervps.com. Great support, VPS (virtual private servers) are a baby step towards a dedicated server, their prices a close to httpme but you get more space and bandwidth.
    I second that. Have been with powervps.com quite some time now and they are great. Much cheaper then a real dedicated server, but lots of bandwidth and space. You also get full root access if you like to play with your server settings.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by markcw
    Most web hosting contracts state they can terminate you at any time for any reason. Don't think you can sue for shutting your site down.

I'm pretty sure HTTPME was sold sometime this year. New owners are probably enforcing things alot tighter than before.
    Paypals TOS says if you want to seek legal action against them you must go to California and have midiation first. But people have sued paypal in small claims court and have won. Terms of Service aren't really enforceable unless they are legal.

Telling someone you can terminate them at any time isn't legal but it really depends if the person terminated is willing to fight back.

This is why dedicated hosting is worth the cost. There's nobody else on your server slowing it down and you have total control. Nobody is going to kick you off for using too much CPU or disk.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

http and a telephoto
    I'm sorry but I think part of working on the web means you check your sites. If you had numerous sites hosted there *you* should have noticed a problem. You can blame them for shutting you down without notice, but you lost your income and rankings because you were lazy or complacent.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You can blame them for shutting you down without notice, but you lost your income and rankings because you were lazy or complacent.
    Should one check their sites more often than dak142 did? No doubt, but it is unprofessional to shut down his sites without a warning. I fail to see how the lazy or complacent bit is at all helpful here. He did, after all, lose a chunk of change and I'd wager he's kicking himself enough already.

http and a telephoto
    One of the things people on this forum do is point out mistakes that people make in running their businesses. Pointing out that you should be checking your sites more often than once a month shouldn't be necessary, but some people need to be reminded to do so.

Placing *all* the blame on your host isn't the answer. And stroking him/her on the back saying poor baby isn't helping anybody.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    This is why dedicated hosting is worth the cost. There's nobody else on your server slowing it down and you have total control. Nobody is going to kick you off for using too much CPU or disk.
    I strongly agree with this. Even if you're only making around $1000/month, a dedicated host is ideal. I, too, was kicked off a shared host for using too many resources. My host didn't notify me either, but I knew immediately and complained furiously until I was back online. I had to promise to leave within 1 week. Purchased a dedicated host after that and I haven't been happier.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

One of the things people on this forum do is point out mistakes that people make in running their businesses. Pointing out that you should be checking your sites more often than once a month shouldn't be necessary, but some people need to be reminded to do so
    Both HardwareGeek and Snib had previously commented on dak142's failure to keep tabs on his sites, and Leader had offered some excellent advice when she suggested a monitoring service.

I didn't see anything constructive added by your post, it seemed more like kicking a guy when he's down.

Rule 1: This is a business treat it as one.
    Rule 2: You get what you pay for (hosting wise)
    Rule 3: As soon as you can ... go dedicated and control your box(es).
    Rule 4: Re-read Rule #1
    Rule 5: Don't ever forget Rule #1
    Rule 6: Start at Rule #1
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 15th, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Just realized something. I have some domains on multi-domain hosting that use me@example.com as the contact, going through the main reseller site. SO if there's a problem and they all go down, even because of some glitch, I would not get that email since the forwarder wouldn't be functioning when they're down.

Whoops - it should be a non-domain-related email not on that server to ensure it can get through, even if gmail is used as a secondary contact point. Will have to check those out.

Did they have a non-domain related email address to contact you through? If not, if they pulled the site mail wouldn't get to you. Still, they should have informed beforehand with plenty of notice, but it can't hurt to double check everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Rule 1: This is a business treat it as one.
    Rule 2: You get what you pay for (hosting wise)
    Rule 3: As soon as you can ... go dedicated and control your box(es).
    Rule 4: Re-read Rule #1
    Rule 5: Don't ever forget Rule #1
    Rule 6: Start at Rule #1
    Haiko by far has posted the best comment in this tread.... we all at one point or another forget rule#1 !!!

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    Haiko by far has posted the best comment in this tread.... we all at one point or another forget rule#1 !!!

Joe
    That was my point, but of course Haiko said it much clearer
    and it came from a man so it is more believable than listening to a chick....
    Deborah Carney

and it came from a man so it is more believable than listening to a chick....
    No, it's that he said it without loaded fighting-words like "lazy" and "complacent."

http and a telephoto
    Ah, my bad. I didn't think complacent was a "fighting word"
    Deborah Carney

I think it depends on the circumstance...usually I'd agree with you, but combined with "lazy" it seemed like a 1-2 punch.

Still, I think that if you pay for a service and your bill is up to date they owe it to you to tell you if they are not providing that service.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Now, now "ladies"... let's have a biggggggg group huggggg...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast