I just logged onto CJ and got a popup advertisment. This happening with anyone else? I've never gotten a popup when logging into CJ before.

Mklangl,

Did it look like ...
    http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...7&t=000241&p=1 ?

If so ... go to http://MerchantBoycott.com for instructions to uninstall.

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sounds like you have some scumware!

The popups I see at CJ come from Hotbar (NOT the same as the one in the thread Haiko linked to)...

Hotbar's ads only come up once every so often, and *most* of them are random. One thing distinctive about their popups is that they are untitled (as opposed to saying SaveNow or whatever). The only thing that shows in the title bar of a fully-loaded popup is the name of the browser--in my case, Internet Explorer.

Another distinctive thing about Hotbar is that they don't seem to have many advertisers, so there's VERY FEW popups that come from there. You can be online for hours without seeing one, and then...Pop!

Could be that the scumware used to be "okay-ware", but a recent "upgrade" changed it. Hotbar, for instance, used to be fine. Then came version 3.0 and I now get a "new surfing experience!" Woopee!

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

I don't have any scumware. I haven't even downloaded anything in months. It was an ad to be an affiliate for someone, but I didn't write it down and I haven't been able to reproduce the incident. (We programmers are real big on reproducing things.) It was just strange because It had never happened to me at CJ before. For all I know it could have been a delayed window from some other place.

i just logged into cj and didnt see any popups

did you clear out your cache?

its probably a .js file that was sneakily downloaded on to your computer, but your a bit of a tech guy so i bet you already thought of that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: austin powers ]

ABW Ambassador
    YES - I've been gettting a pop-up when I log into CJ for about 1 month now. It's always the same one - from Aadcom.

FYI, CJ would only use a pop up to promote or announce something CJ-centric. We are not using pop ups right now, so if you are getting pop ups, they are from software installed on your computer - not from our website.

I hope this helps.

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder where they are coming from then. I thought maybe CJ was in financial trouble and this was the new CEOs grand plan to save to save the co.

ABW Ambassador
    Jimbo - me too. It just started about 1 month or two ago. I can't recall downloading anything that would make it come up. I thought forsure it was CJ. I'm glad to know now that it's not. (Wipe sweat away from forehead). LOL!!

Jada said her pop ups were coming from Aadcom (www.aadcom.com). I checked out their site and they focus on interstitials (i.e. Pop Ups). They also have a "screen saver" you can download. I would bet this is the problem. They may be hiding a program in screen savers that allow them to pop up ads. I may be wrong but if you are experiencing pop ups I would look into this a little more.

Regards,

Todd

I have When and SaveNow scumware installed and SaveNow pop-ups on the CJ main site telling potential advertisers to go to another advertising site to save money .. (instead of signing up with you, in other words.

KariBon

ABW Ambassador
    CJ condones predatory advertising as an acceptable model for doing business on the Internet. They have no ethical or practical basis to complain if someone opens parasitic popups on the CJ site.

Of course, those of us who have been working to send potential subaffiliates there still do ... our dreams of referring five-star subaffiliates are facing longer odds these days.

I have also seen pop-ups at CJ. The ones I saw were promoting a merchant's affiliate program. It doesn't pop-up every time. It doesn't pop-up when logging in. But it does sometimes pop-up when surfing around from merchant to merchant. :confused:

Go to http://members.cj.com/member/account...chantid=641036 (studentmarket.com)

They do have a build-in popup on the merchantinfo page. (http|//www.studentmarket.com/tesprepsof.html)

Quiet777

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, and your cookie (and your potential subaffiliate) would be stolen if a new prospect that YOU sent to CJ clicked on that popup.

But CJ doesn't mind, as long as they get their 30%.

30% = thirty pieces of silver

ABW Ambassador
    I need to point out that my last post was in response to milehimall, not Quiet. Quiet and were posting at the same time.

The problem for CJ has always been they can't make a decision in less than 6 months.

It seems someone has to translate the English to a form of English Lex and Per understand, then they have to be hit in the head with a 2x4 20 times to get the idea, then they have to listen to a series of stories about the idea in which Dick, Jane and Spot re-inact the idea.

And then they get it and make changes in the right direction (most of the time).

Ronald Reagan was just like that. Must be something in the water in Santa Barbara.

We'll see how business oriented they are with the new guy as CEO.

Another thing about CJ. It's in Santa Barbara and that is one of the places where a huge portion of California OLD MONEY live.
    People with REAL MONEY. And they don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.

Plus the weather is da kind and they have a great nude beach, lots of interesting little boutiques and more. Mostly the guys hang out, play golf, go fishing, dabble in boutique wineries and race horses. The women engage in the 'my guy makes more than your guy and I can afford to buy more baubles and boy toys than you can" game. It's a really tough game. Like playing Lacrosse with out pads and a helmet with land minds on the field and the ball is a grenade without the pin.

Hard to get any business done there, especially after you get to a point where you make a few bucks like Lex and Per have. In SB they Noveau Almost Yuppie. Anywhere else they'd be considered very well off.

Two things:

1) The pop up from student marketing has been removed form the CJ members area.

2) Fredrik, you probably play more golf in one month than our whole company does in a year [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

... and being the best Lacrosse Goalie in NY ... I used to practice with golf balls ... so go figure [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    You still play it Haiko???
    I rep a line of lacrosse equipment out here in my area.

WW,

No way! That is cool! Brine or STX?

My Coach Was George Baron if that means anything, I was the NY Goalie in the Empire State Games way back. I still throw the ball around with an attack friend of mine during summer and we go to the university and mess around with some of the middies ... I still got it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I, also, used to coach summer league out on the island when I had more time ... I love Lacrosse ...it is the best sport!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I watched the game as a kid. Never played it though.
    The litle monsters here will be starting to play maybe this spring. They're both terrible at soccer LOL

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: walleye warrior ]

Geee, I was born about 60 miles north of Santa Barbara... think they'll let me have some REAL OLD MONEY. I don't even mind if it's a little moldy.

Ah, Santa Barbara beaches, them's fond memories. Of course, we often went to Gaviota instead. Fewer people. No nudity.

I remember the old hitch hikers row that used to be in the middle of Highway 101 as it went through town with stoplights and all.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread