Kewlbox and spyware - AGAIN
    Quite some time ago, I had posted about receiving an email that Zango was being downloaded as a "bonus" with a free Kewlbox game. I posted a warning on one of my sites. Not long after that I was contacted by Jason McMinn, Director of technology of Blackdot and we exchanged a few emails about their spyware downloads. I finally agreed, reluctantly, to remove the warning about Kewlbox BUT if I ever received another email that their free games had more spyware bonuses it would go right back up.

This day has come...

I received another email about Kewlbox. This time it's not just one spyware program, it's a whole bunch of them!

The game downloaded was Pengapop. The spyware that came with it were Mnsmin (Trojan), spywarestormer, errorguard, KaZaA, when U. Apparently there was a whole lot more because his/her spysweeper was disconnected, mail password stolen, mail account got closed because it was sending spam, and Spysweeper found over 100 traces of spyware. They wrote to Kewlbox with no reply. Surprise...

Before I contact Kewlbox about this and post another warning, I was wondering if anyone else had had the same problems with them or know anything about this. I don't download free games online, and until I got the first email several months ago, I had never even heard of Kewlbox.

Thanks.

Catwoman

edited to add: My guess is that the Kewlbox game probably didn't give them all these spyware programs on its own, they probably had some on their computer to begin with. I'd just like to know which spyware actually came with that game, if any.
    Last edited by Catwoman; July 16th, 2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: edited to add...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I removed all the Kewlbox games on my sites as soon as it was proven that they were downloading parasites. I don't believe in giving anyone a second chance with this sort of thing.

Now I don't link to any game sites at all. I make the games myself. Granted they're not as slick, but neither are they dangerous.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What a greed driven wank.... Mitch Davis, CEO, Massive Inc. Massive piece of crap, if you ask me, preying upon free "game searches" to infest children Mom & Dads systems with Adware/Spyware and viruses. This guy would be the "candytopediphiles.com" distributor if He saw a buck in it.

All the ABWers, and other affiliates pushing freebies, need to tarred and feathered for pimping the B-a-HOs. Just a bunch of two faced muthers ... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n&q=free+games
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Internet Cowboy
    As demonstrated in this thread...if a company is willing to pay an affiliate to give software or applications away for free...something is wrong. Period. No exceptions.
    When will people finally realize this? The same affiliates who are being screwed by these apps are the ones being tricked in to distributing them in the name of a buck! Get a clue about freebies folks. They might make you a quarter or 50 cents today but can cost you hundreds down the road!

Kewlbox didn't have an affiliate program (to my knowledge) they just allowed their content to be published on webmaster's sites

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, I am not seeing the connection. Massive is known for in-video game ads, I didn't think they owned kewlbox or had anythign to do with them. Can someone clarify?

Massive while some say annoying, is not parasitic in any manner.

I am talking about
    http://www.massiveincorporated.com/ who does have a ceo named Mitch Davis
    and
    http://www.kewlbox.com/ who is owned by blockdot inc.

Chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Rhea, they have an affiliate program http://www.kewlbox.com/corp/affiliate.cfm

Thanks Kellie, I had no idea. I don't think they had it when I started using their games on my site. In any case, I do think that affiliate programs for freebie download sites should be assumed to be guilty until proven innocent.I'm grateful that Catwoman brought this to our attention because otherwise I might never have found out.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread