Firewall and DSL Question
    I've been having problems connecting via wireless with my new SBC/Yahoo DSL service. I've been on the phone with SBC several times and they believe the problem is with the firewall on my computer. The wireless connection drops at various times.

According to SBC, a "government grade" (their words) firewall exists in the modem and therefore I don't need a seperate firewall on my laptop. I've been using the McAfee firewall that came preinstalled on my computer. Should I trust SBC and turn off the firewall on my laptop or should I switch to another firewall?

Here are the details:
    DSL - SBC/Yahoo. I did NOT use the installation CD that SBC sends out. According to reviews on epinions, the software on the CD is buggy.

Laptop - Dell Inspirion 1150

OS - Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2

Firewall - McAfee (preinstalled). I have the CD for ZoneAlarm Suite. I've got ZA on my desktop, but that PC is still in a box and is NOT connected.

Modem - 2Wire

Other - My cordless phones are brand new 5.8ghz VTechs. The family who lived here before used Comcast and didn't have any problems with their wireless network.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have gone through dsl hell in the past month. It turns out my firewall was on in the router the laptop and windows xp service pack 2 turned on the windows firewall. I turned off the windows firewall and all is fine. control panel - security center- firewall.

It should detect your mcafree firewall after a reboot. This is just a guess
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I have gone through dsl hell in the past month. It turns out my firewall was on in the router the laptop and windows xp service pack 2 turned on the windows firewall. I turned off the windows firewall and all is fine. control panel - security center- firewall.

It should detect your mcafree firewall after a reboot. This is just a guess
    Thanks. Control panel shows McAfee as being the only running firewall (I currently have it set to its lowest setting). If memory serves me correctly, my computer was shipped with Service Pack 2.

It was a windows update that turned on the windows firewall for me.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The only problem I had with sbc when I had it was Norton...had to disable it to be able to connect...

Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    The only problem I had with sbc when I had it was Norton...had to disable it to be able to connect...
    How worried are you about security? I just moved to Chicago and my laptop can detect about seven different networks, even though I can't log into them.

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    I find most software firewalls very annoying... so i just turn them off. Smart? Prob. not. But I have never really had any issues with it. Plus I have the hardware firewall.

I always tell people with broadband to ditch the modem and get a router with a builtin firewall.

With arouter you can always check you can connect with an ethernet conection if you have problems with the wireless whilst you sort out the wireless settings.

Plus on all the PCs connected to my network I run ZoneAlarm and Norton Anti-virus.

Les

ABW Ambassador
    I doubt it is the firewall. Wireless connections can have issues with phones. Some phones roam, jumping around on channels and that can impact your service. See if you can get your phone not to do that, or if you can reprogram your wireless to use a different channels, often phones skip around on 6 and 8 i think, try setting your wireless (on both ends) to 3 or some other number. It might not just be your phone but your neighors. Also make sure you are connecting to the right wireless, i have done that before.

When I moved out to seattle, in my temporary apt i turned on my pc and saw tons of wireless connections available that my laptop wanted to jump on...

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I doubt it is the firewall. Wireless connections can have issues with phones. Some phones roam, jumping around on channels and that can impact your service. See if you can get your phone not to do that, or if you can reprogram your wireless to use a different channels, often phones skip around on 6 and 8 i think, try setting your wireless (on both ends) to 3 or some other number. It might not just be your phone but your neighors. Also make sure you are connecting to the right wireless, i have done that before.
    The phones should not be a problem. I've got brand new 5.8ghz phones that are labeled as being wireless friendly. The wirless connection is running on channel 10 or 11.

My biggest question right now is whether I should feel safe only using the firewall that exists within the modem?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    The phones should not be a problem. I've got brand new 5.8ghz phones that are labeled as being wireless friendly. The wirless connection is running on channel 10 or 11.

My biggest question right now is whether I should feel safe only using the firewall that exists within the modem?
    is there any way of entering the modem software to see if it logs blocked hits?

I use an old Linksys router for a firewall on my DSL and also the plain firewall button in XP Pro. However, all wired here, no wireless. Works fine and I can see the log as a html page on the router's IP number (internal net). Lotta crap coming in thru DSL trying to hit on port 445, etc . . .

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread