The Simpler Life
    I changed my tact with affiliate marketing a while back, and started developing much larger time consuming sites.. This was mainly due to watching a few of my simpler sites get knocked into obscurity, my older larger non affiliate style sites always providing constant good returns, it being a lot easier to get listings, links, and return visitors for non affiliate centered sites, and my own belief that the simpler sites had a more limited shelf life..

I did keep around 40-50 of my better performing simple sites however, and they've ticked along unmaintained providing ok returns.. Then recently I updated a few (removed dead merchants), and things took a twist.. Some of the simple sites picked up again and started producing better returns.. This got me thinking..

I was wondering how many people have continued on the simpler path, and how it is going? Do you need to constantly keep moving - building new sites, updating old ones, etc? Are your sites getting knocked out of the rankings over time? Have you felt the need over the past few years to consider other types of sites etc? Are you still able to get good rankings constantly with simple affiliate based sites?

I am considering building a few simple sites again inbetween my others, hence why I'm looking for a bit of insight..

I'm 100% in agreement that sites that provide a lot of value (and typically take a lot more time to build) do far better in the long run.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I did keep around 40-50 of my better performing simple sites
    That's supposed to be just the "better performing" simple sites?? LOL that's tons of sites right there!

The main problems I have with so many sites have generally come back to keeping them updated. I think mine'd rank better if I was more onto the updates. But, having so many has been overwhelming. So I'm going to try to automate as many as possible, and also dump some niche sites. Niche sites seem to have a lot harder time staying ranked than malls, plus they have all the other pitfalls that come with narrowed choices.

I was wondering how many people have continued on the simpler path, and how it is going?
    My sites are still examples of the KISS principle

As for "constantly" ranking high...no, but they did survive many, many algo changes before G***le finally aimed better. So I'm still a firm believer in the principle of the simple site. I figure if I only have to really fiddle with 'em once every 5 years, that's a darned good run and a basic formula worth keeping.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread