A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Question Referencing Coupons on Product Sites
    Can someone PLEASE help me with this? I like doing product sites, and don't devote to just one merchant. How in the world can I effectively call attention to a coupon on just the products from that merchant. I don't really label the products as being from merchant XYZ, so just making a coupon page to reference doesn't really help. I want people to know that when they find something they want - Pink Polka Dot Widgets - that they can use a coupon. I thought of a couple things, like a javascript popup that says something about "You are leaving widgets.com to go to bigwidgets.com. For an extra 20% use Coupon Code #101010101." Or just painstakingly typing the coupons into every single product description (far from my ideal).

I would really appreciate some suggestions on what you find successful in this regard. As an FYI, I run women's interests sites, so if you also run these and don't want to give me any hints, I understand. I would be especially grateful if someone could reference a good example of how this is done - via PM if necessary.

Thank you so much. I know this seems like a silly question to a lot of you, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this particular issue.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

~Lisa~
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It'd help if you were more specific--ie, are they static pages or scripted?

But, in general:

If the sites static, and if you have your merchants divided into sections, it's fairly easy--just put the coupon code into their pages as part of that area's template. Run those pages again, and voila'...

If the site's scripted somehow, just have the script add a line about the coupon code when the appropriate merchant's products are called. (as in: IF merchant = TheCouponMerchant THEN show coupon info text [or you may call it out of a database, depends on your setup]. Only written in real code, in accordance with whatever language you use...)

But if the site's static, and the merchants are all mixed up into a hodgepodge instead of having their own folders, too... not sure how you'd easily hit only some of the pages, then.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks for responding Leader. They are actually a hybrid. They are static pages that are generated dynamically from a database. While I have the products in the database listed under the merchants, they are represented on the site in random order. I had thought of something along the lines that you mention for scripted pages. But I guess my big concern is, how do I give it a 'professional' appearance? Sorry I'm horrible with technical stuff. My husband does all the tech stuff, and just tells me to let him know what I would like to do and he'll do it. Problem is, just not sure how this should look!

Coupons can really help close the sale and create urgency and a sense of value. They have to be up to date and clearly explained, though.

Coupons are pretty hard to do on static pages. Because they can change fairly frequently, you have to regenerate pages fairly regularly. It's much easier to do with dynamic pages.

Do the shoppers leave your site from a page with multiple products or a page devoted to a specific product?

If it's a product-specific page, you have a lot more room to work. You can say something like "Bonus! Use coupon code ABCD to get 10% off a $50 order through 7/31/05!" Since you know which merchant is selling the product, you'll know which coupons to consider. I would recommend listing just the best coupon for each product page rather than all of them.

If it's a page with multiple products from different merchants, you need to work the coupon information into the title or description for each product, only include the best coupon that the product would be eligible for, and keep it as brief as possible. If you show prices, you might want to show the net price after the coupon. For instance, "$59.99 after coupon".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I create (for example) 5 different .js files featuring 5 different merchant coupons

Then on the product page - after the product description - I use javascript to call up and place right underneath it the particular merchant's coupon

So I update ONE .js file for merchant A, and all their products on my site are automatically updated with their current coupon

Great idea! You really wouldn't even need to use Javascript to do that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but since I went away and all, I had this on the back burner. Just want to thank you all for the advice. It has certainly given me a clearer picture of what I need to do. Thank you!

~Lisa~

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread