Problem with CJ
    Just so you know I sent CJ an email through my membership login and asked them how I could obtain a datafeed. This was their response:

Dear Commission Junction Publisher,

We have received your request to enable Product Data functionality for your Commission Junction account. In order for us to integrate Product Data functionality for your Commission Junction publisher account a $200 one-time set-up fee will be required for access and deducted directly from your account balance. This integration fee is applied for the initial implementation of Product Catalog data transfer functionality and will be charged at the time of the integration.

However, this charge will be waived if your account has earned at least $10,000 in advertiser sales revenue for one month during the past 12 Months. Again, if you do not meet this criteria, the $200 integration fee will apply. If you are no longer interested in this additional functionality simply do not respond to this email.

However, if you are interested in continuing, please review the documentation downloadable below, it has the new format of the Product Data File:

Scheduled Data Transfer Guide - Product Data Feed for Publishers
    http://www.cj.com/downloads/tech/sch..._transdata.pdf

In addition please answer, as best you can, the questions listed below:

1- In which format would you like to receive your data? Choose from one of the following: TAB : CSV : PIPE : XML : EXCEL formats.

2- Which method of transfer would you like to use to receive your product data? Choose from one of the following: CJ FTP (you access to our FTP servers) : Client FTP (we access to your FTP servers to push the file(s)) w/ any login and password information needed for access : HTTP (you access our HTTP Web servers).

3-Due to the potential size of your feed, it is recommended that you limit your feed to your top five (5) Advertisers. Please let us know which five (5) Advertisers you would consider are your strongest revenue generators?

Once we receive the answers to the questions above we will enable your account to receive product data and send you technical documentation that will assist your technical team in integrating this functionality. In order to answer the questions above simply respond to this email.

In order to respond to the questions above, simply log into your account, click on the "Contact Us" link, wait for the pop-up to display and then click on the "Go" button next to the "Check Question Status" link. Once that has been done, you can select your incident by clicking the "Update" button and inputing your response. Your request will be processed within 48 hours.

Sincerely,

Technical Integration and Support Services

Commission Junction, a ValueClick company
    1501 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    p: 800-761-1072
    f: 805-560-0776
    This is complete HOGWASH!! Are we dealing with ripoff artists or what?? I have never heard of such a thing. I have several datafeeds that are doing quite well through Linkshare, Performics, AND CJ and never did I have to pay $200 just so that my links would WORK! This is a scam...

What kind of operation are they trying to run? I am completely serious and I have never in my life heard of such BOLOGNA!

Oh, unless I make $10,000... ??

I want an explanation for receiving such a reply.

Actually, it's $10,000 in revenue, not commissions.

You didn't have to pay for Linkshare datafeeds?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have never heard of this. Tell you the truth I have a few already with CJ and I have never had to pay $200...

Of course now they'll see I have gotten away with it and charge me. If this is the case I am gone.

Do the merchants know you are doing this with their own products? This makes it harder for people to get access to their products. I am just looking at it from the merchant and the publisher's standpoint. If I were a merchant I would want it easy and free for my links to get out their and gain exposure. The more the better.

As a publisher, I am doing the merchant and CJ a favor. I am doing the merchant a favor by placing related content on my website, making it easier for customers to find them. If I were a merchant I would make this process as free and as easy as it could be.

The more money I make, the more money CJ and the merchant makes.

As for CJ it seems as though they are trying to make an extra buck off of something that should be free.

Tell you the truth, I have had people contact me (not many, but a few) that throw their client's feeds at me because they think I should add them to my site.

Another way to look at it. I have a product and I want a store to promote it for me and they can get a percentage of the sale. Then I tell them in order to carry my product it will cost them a set-up fee of $200...

Duh! Most people will say thanks but no thanks...

As for the CJ datafeeds that I have at my site that are working why didn't they ask me before to flush $200 down the toilet??

Internet Cowboy
    CJ charges $200. Linkshare charges $250. If you are serious about using datafeeds you can make this money back within days and be done with it.
    Otherwise you are limited to SAS and CJ and LS merchants who offer a feed independently.

I sincerely apologize!!

I understand what is happening here. The feeds I have gotten were given to me by the merchant. I see what is happening here and CJ creates datafeeds as a service to the merchant.

Ok this makes more sense except the merchant should be paying a straight out fee for this and not the publisher. Or have CJ take more of a percentage cut for sales from the merchant who's feed they created. I still don't understand why the publisher needs to pay a dime for a datafeed.

Ah well! Thanks and sorry for the uproar.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy1611
    I still don't understand why the publisher needs to pay a dime for a datafeed.
    Because giving away for free will cost CJ a lot of money (bandwith) and work. They have to setup this feed manually for each publisher and the publisher can choose the format, etc.

Of course you can have it for free if you generate enough sales already. CJ just doesn't want to do all this work (setting up feeds) for unmotivated or non productive publishers.

That makes sense and I understand that it takes time and bandwidth, etc...

My only thought is the service that CJ is providing for the Merchant. If I were a merchant and had some products I wanted to sell and got hooked up with CJ, then decided I didn't have the time, know how, or the money to create a datafeed for my publishers, what would I do??

I should be able to pay somebody (CJ) for their service to create me a datafeed that I cannot, myself, create for my clients. Therefore it would cost me a set-up fee and/or possibly an increase in cost/sale that I would have to pay CJ for doing me a wonderful service.

As for the publisher, links should be free... Links are free when I go and get them manually and place them one at a time.

What I am getting at, is the service CJ is doing by creating the datafeed is for the Merchant. You are taking the time to provide them with a service. It shouldn't have anything to do with the publisher.

Also, the $10,000 sales cutoff is kind of silly. How can you be making that many sales when you haven't even got their products up on your site???????

Secondly, how can people "try" out a feed if they are going to pay $200.. ???

You may be losing potential sales from publishers who are reluctant at "giving it a try"....

I honestly believe you are charging the wrong people for the set-up fee..

I know each feed is different for each customer in how they want it set-up but why is it the same feed for everybody when I get it straight from the merchant??

on and on...

Thanks

Secondly, how can people "try" out a feed if they are going to pay $200.. ???

You may be losing potential sales from publishers who are reluctant at "giving it a try"....

I honestly believe you are charging the wrong people for the set-up fee..

ABW Ambassador
    the datafeeds take up lots of server space.

dontcha know cj has a server problem?

so if you wanna use the feed, you gotta pay extra.

aahhhh... gotcha...

So if I start pulling in $10,000 in sales in 2 months do I get my $200 back... ???

It would not be so bad paying CJ for the datafeeds if only they stopped allowing the friggin parasites from stealing some of our sales.

Not only are they allowing them the parasites steal sales from us and are still collecting their cuts from the stolen sales they are also profiting again by charging some affiliates who if not for the parasites would be eligible for free feeds.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Hi Gordon,

Sorry I am not up to date with some of these terms as I pretty much am an Internet hermit and live only in my neck of the woods if you know what I mean.

What exactly are parasites and what is their purpose? How do they steal links?

Thanks

datafeeds...
    We have our affiliates buy the feed but will reimburse them if they produce...

Talk to your merchants -- many will know the right people to call to get fees waived initially or will credit the benjamins back to you...

LMG

Thanks
    You might find the parasite forum informative. Also, if you look for information on "browser help objects" or BHOs you may find more about parasites.

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158
    Dennis Duffy
    Slavin' over a hot keyboard for nickels & dimes ... and nobody understands what I do.

Parasites = ParasiteWare™ - is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasiteware™ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

ParasiteWare

And this is not ILLEGAL!!!

How do Merchants agree to this? Ok I am confused...

When they steal another affiliates comissions by their trickery I call it illegal.
    I don't give two tosses if CJ, Linkshare or Performics etc call it "in compliance".
    If these tricks were used anywhere else but the internet it would be classed as illegal and the people responsible would serve time.

The fact that the neccessary laws have not yet been made does not make it legal and hopefully when the laws are made these assoles will serve time.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

No, It's not illegal, yet!

It's not ethical, but it's not illegal.

How do Merchants agree to this?
    Very simple!

The one's that agree to that, they do it because of greed and the more money they collect, the happier they are, even if at the end they are paying extra for something that they don't have to pay, but that's the way it's with some merchants.

Our main concern is with the merchants that don't have a clue of the real deal and are working with parasites, but some times it's better to just move on and look for their competition if they try to play stupid while we get screwed.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    Most of them turn to the networks for second opinion and get convinced that these parasites are good affiliates and we are a bunch of fools.

I would love to try CJ datafeeds, but I don't make anywhere near 10k per month. I guess I could fork over the $200.

You don't have to make $10k per month. You just have to generate $10,000 per month in sales.

If you're not at $10,000 per month in sales yet, you could always start with CJ merchants that provide free datafeeds outside of CJ until you hit $10,000 per month in sales, then sign up for the CJ feed.

I totally understand why the networks charge a fee. If you have to pay a good chunk of money (and $200 is a good chunk for small affiliates), you're going to make sure it's worthwhile.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You don't have to make $10k per month. You just have to generate $10,000 per month in sales.

If you're not at $10,000 per month in sales yet, you could always start with CJ merchants that provide free datafeeds outside of CJ until you hit $10,000 per month in sales, then sign up for the CJ feed.

I totally understand why the networks charge a fee. If you have to pay a good chunk of money (and $200 is a good chunk for small affiliates), you're going to make sure it's worthwhile.
    I agree with Michael. There are tons of merchants at CJ that have feeds outside of the CJ interface. As you have already seen, some merchants can initiate the CJ feed without cost. The lesson I always take away from that, is that sometimes it is better to have a good relationship with merchants than with the network.

Fred

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread