So I've emailed an ABW member (and a prominent one in this particular forum) about removing coupons that were given to me exclusively. And this personhas so far not removed them nor even replied to my 2 emails.

Can we form some sort of agreement amongst competing sites that we won't post each other's Exclusive coupons?

If we're not going to respect each other's businesses, then I don't want to hear any whining when ebates or whatevber BHO steals your commissions.

Some coupon sites stay away from exclusive coupons from other sites, unauthorized coupons, and other questionable practices. Other coupon sites will do anything for a buck. (Mike has a special name for them.) Unfortunately, those unethical coupon site owners give the rest of us a bad name.

I know I've had tons of exclusive coupons stolen, but I've never bothered complaining about it. I figure if they're unethical enough to steal them, they probably wouldn't respond to my emails anyway.

One great things merchants can do is to make sure that exclusive coupons are well "branded". People are far less likely to steal "AMAZINGBARGAINS" and post it on their site than "17839473982".

I've heard that some merchants make exclusive coupons so that the affiliate who was issued the coupon always receives credit. In that case, stealing backfires. Many are opposed to this, but I really like the idea.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If it is an Exclusive coupon for particular partner of merchant/s, that partner that is given the exlusive coupon should get the commission. So if someone copy it they don't get the commish!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm all for that, i've seen a few sites that always post other sites coupons, even EBATES and WHENU codes. They're really not that hard to get, usually an email to the AM and they can hook you up.

I understand that many webmasters are dishonest and I usually just forget about it, but I would expect this person, who is as active on this forum as anyone can be, to respect the request. I'm tempted to name the person, but I'll give them another chance in case they read this.

Rather than giving out the person's name I suggest contacting Haiko with the matter. As much as I can understand your anger and frustration abestweb's public forums are not the place for exposing people on these kinds of matters. I would also suggest you contact the merchant and see what they will do about it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've heard that some merchants make exclusive coupons so that the affiliate who was issued the coupon always receives credit. In that case, stealing backfires. Many are opposed to this, but I really like the idea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't see any legitimate reason for opposing that! If it's exclusive, it's exclusive. If somebody ends up getting nothing for stepping on an exclusive coupon that they shouldn't have been, good!

As for the particular incident that's the subject of this thread, I agree with M. McNabb.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I do very little with coupons, but I have to ask this:

How can someone tell that a certain code is supposed to be exclusive to this or that site, so it's not fair game to be posted elsewhere?

ABW Ambassador
    Usually the code is the person's site name. I've always thought it was dumb to advertise your competition on your site just so you can post a code that you could probably get by just asking.

Looks like it worked. The coupons have been removed.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How can someone tell that a certain code is supposed to be exclusive to this or that site, so it's not fair game to be posted elsewhere? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you didn't get it directly from the merchant, it ain't yours to advertise!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread