ABW Ambassador
    Can this be the source of disappearing clickthroughs?
    I am posting this because I have already stumbled upon several instances.

Can this be the source of disappearing clickthroughs?

1. merchant deletes some of their links
    2. since the merchant is still in CJ, clicking the deleted links still leads you to the merchant
    3. your clicks do not appear in the reports as invalid, so you have no way of getting aware of such untracked clicks.

This has a variation. Watch out for merchants dropping their affiliates, especially the performing ones. Your now untrackable links still go to the merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    They would show under invalid links generating traffic or the links would go to an expired link page.

ABW Ambassador
    many don't

The clicks would still show up in the normal reporting.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the response Todd.

I checked the particular link numbers in the Get Links section and the links do not exist anymore, although clicking on them still leads to the merchant.

Can you therefore assure us that those links that have already been deleted from the Get Links section are still being tracked to our accounts?

Thanks again.

Why not just check the click detail in the performance reports. Click one of the old links and then wait, and then drill down into the report to see which banner/text link was clicked.

When an advertiser expires a link, it is no longer available to publishers. It will however continue to track impressions, clicks and any resulting leads or sales. Advertisers obviously want publishers to swap out the epired links with current creative as soon as possible.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Todd.

The links I was talking about by the way were not intented to be time-sensitive like sale events or something (i keep tabs of those) but rather general standard links that should be there for the long haul.

if the merchant wishes to change the creative, can't they just change the creative without deleting the link and creating a new one?

Also, we're not talking about a few links here. we're talking about thousands of links. That's why the invalid links report is very valuable. That is a great tool to spot non-tracking links. If an untrackable link doesn't appear there, that's cause for concern.

Exclamation
    one problem with just changing the creative is that they may load your site with a new one that doesn't match what you were trying to do before.

case in Hot Topic . . . changed the graphics and landing pages on existing links. The new links ended up looking or going to places on their site that had nothing to do with the originals.

ABW Ambassador
    what could be so problematic with changing the graphic going to the lingerie section by another lingerie graphic (of the same size) going to the lingerie section?

and if the url for lingerie on the merchant site changes, then the merchant can change the landing page to the new url but the link number remains the same.

the same applies to text links. if you put "lingerie" as your text, then you can simply change its landing url if you had a url-change, but the link number remains the same.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread