Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Angry Parasite links in Adsense - Post URLs here
    hotbar.com

I just saw an Adsense link for hotbar.com on one of my sites. I immediately added hotbar.com to my list of excluded URLs.

I think it would be a good idea if we kept a running thread people could post to as they find parasite software links in Adsense. Remember to publish the entire URL as I suspect some might change their URL as they realize that they're on publisher exclusions lists. It'd also help if you could post the URL in the title.

Haiko, could this thread be stickied? I think it's pretty important.

ABW Ambassador
    Just to be clear...
    Parasite as in a site that overwrites cookies?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh... crap. I don't normally check older articles on a blog where i write about privacy/spam etc - there they are. Filling it up.

http://www.starware.com is one to add to the list.

I will go through the whole site tonight and add some more. Damnit. Time for google to do no evil...

Chet

Contextual Marketing Goddess
    I don't believe AdWords polices advertisers for doing such practices as overwriting cookies.

However, you can report the advertiser if you wish, and they can review it. Simply click on the "Ads by Google" and on the following page check the checkbox for the advertiser in question. In your comments, explain why you feel this advertiser should not be permitted to advertise (the more straight-forward detail the better - saying "this advertiser is evil" probably won't help them much when it comes to investigating the advertiser )

You can submit anonymously, but if you include your email address, they will respond back to you to followup with your complaint.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Here are some URLs of sites that advertise in Adwords that they'll remove the qksrv parasite. Not a group of folks I care to see in Adsense ads on my sites.

YourTechOnline.com
    Registryfix.com
    removespywareforever.com
    noadware.net
    nuker.com
    ParetLlogic.com
    noadware.groupworldwide.com
    PcOnPoint.com
    NoMoreSpyware.net
    MalwareSweeper.com
    myprivacyprotection.com/

Chet -

What is the deal with "starware"?

Apparently they are one of Overture's "content" partners. Should there be cause for concern on the part of Overture PPC users?

15 years and counting
    I can't answer for Chet, but if you look at "starware" you'll see enough to wonder about them:
    ToolBar
    Weather Conditions
    Smilies
    Search

Seems like they are associated with Comet Web Search toolbar
    "Comet Cursor is a program to change the mouse pointer to custom shapes on affected web sites. It is infamous for being one of the first programs to stealth-install and for tracking viewing habits. "

PS: Just did a whois on starware.com
    Comet Systems
    143 VARICK ST
    NEW YORK, NY 10013-1106

From Symantec
    Comet Systems: Spyware.
    "CometCursor is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object. It installs a toolbar that has links to affiliate sites. It installs a search bar and logs usage statistics."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Our goal at Starware is to create products that add value to our users' browsing experience. (We are search term hijackers and professional PPCSE con-men) Some (more like ALL) of these generate revenue (make us money) by providing paid search links instead of natural SERP listings. Others are just useful and fun (useful to us and fun when your system grinds to a halt). Here is a complete list of the features that are included in the Starware toolbar:

Search Applications:
    Toolbar Search - A search box in the browser toolbar
    Auto Search - Allows direct searching from the address bar
    Error Search - Shows potentialy correct pages and search results for bad web addresses
    Related Search - Displays related search terms in band at the bottom of the browser at popular search engines
    Search Assistant - Allows searching from the browser's Search button
    Search Match - Shows similar searches at popular search engines in one pop-under per browser session
    Travel Search - Shows comparative prices while shopping for airline tickets or rental cars
    These features are hopefully not intrusive and improve your searching. They can also be disabled. They allow us to also deliver the following free products....

We also co-bundle our crapware with every known, and hopefully unknown, crapware distributor and freebie pusher on the internet. Google -Overture -Findwhat -Ask Jeeves and the Ben Laden Marketing Group Ltd of PPCSE sites love us, as we rape and pillage keyword budgets from those stupid capitalist advertisers pissing money down the Adwhore Port-o-lets.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    starware is what is bundled through screensaver.com. Remember them from the CJ thing?

15 years and counting
    Just a quick look at Screensavers.com figures at CJ
    3 Month EPC (USD) $2.40 7 Day EPC (USD) $1.45
    Network earning: 3
    Somebody must be promoting them big time. May be the same ones complaining they are not making money with CJ.

Internet Cowboy
    The number of affilaites promoting them without realizing who and what they are amazes me. I have run across several affiliates is various posts who promote them without knowing they are spreading the infection of their customers' computers.
    Then I am sure there are affiliates promoting them who know exactly what they are doing.
    Promote a program like this and you have no right to ***** about lost sales etc.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    good idea to add bad players to your excluded urls listing within adsense so you're not passively spreading the cancer, but seems likely to be ineffective in the grand scheme of things...

hotbar.com
    starware.com
    YourTechOnline.com
    Registryfix.com
    removespywareforever.com
    noadware.net
    nuker.com
    ParetLlogic.com
    noadware.groupworldwide.com
    PcOnPoint.com
    NoMoreSpyware.net
    MalwareSweeper.com
    myprivacyprotection.com
    screensaver.com

I scraped the posts above and am adding these to my account even if it's a cork holding back the tides...

Mike/Charlie - as our awarded, decorated and celebrated most vocal affiliate advocate, surely you can make this list 10x as large and post for us...

Thank guys for starting this. I've added them to my exclude list. Any affiliate who doesn't is crazy.

Jazz Times

thank you very much guys!

i'm so glad i found this board

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I see qksrv.net on the list.
    I know about its bad reputation, but isn't it just a regular CJ tracking link?
    I think I may have a few CJ affiliate forms with qksrv.net calls in it.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by options
    I see qksrv.net on the list.
    I know about its bad reputation, but isn't it just a regular CJ tracking link?
    I think I may have a few CJ affiliate forms with qksrv.net calls in it.
    who gave it a bad reputation? for some reason, some blockers have listed it but qksrv is bread and butter to most of us.

Blocking the networks cookie setting servers from your Adsense displays is just common sense. Why cost a fellow affiliate a few nickles and send your visitor/shopper though an obvious affiliate link. Fist block should be ebay.com as they bid on every keyword combo known to mankind.

Getting the BHO drive-by installers and even the backdoor trojan horse viruses out of Googles Adwords space is important if you care about your shoppers.... http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60948

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Just a quick look at Screensavers.com figures at CJ
    3 Month EPC (USD) $2.40 7 Day EPC (USD) $1.45
    Network earning: 3
    Somebody must be promoting them big time. May be the same ones complaining they are not making money with CJ.
    I would love to know about screensavers.com - are they one of the bad guys still? I think I asked this months ago and never got an answer but I'd truly love to know. Because they're in the CJ network (a...hem ...) I "assumed" they were clean. Are they currently spreading nasties with their downloads?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Screensavers is now a front operation leaving the nasties to their shanky distribution partners and affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Screensavers is now a front operation leaving the nasties to their shanky distribution partners and affiliates.
    So they are lousy? In other words ... don't promote them?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    So they are lousy? In other words ... don't promote them?
    They're a little like accepting an invite to take some hottie to an expensive lunch, in exchange for a BJ. Then she ducks out on you from the Ladies room. Often selling the sizzle requires some burnt meat.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    They're a little like accepting an invite to take some hottie to an expensive lunch, in exchange for a BJ. Then she ducks out on you from the Ladies room. Often selling the sizzle requires some burnt meat.
    Thanks for the clear answer Mike. ;-) I'm still not sure if they dump a bomb upon install or not.

I don't know from buying expensive lunches in exchange for BJs ... Maybe you're dating the wrong type of women . LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Mark it up as jealosy Rexanne. I've been shaking my thingy as a freebee enticement for many a year without hooking any suckers. Screensavers somehow is making out like a bandit.

Sorry to bump in ... I'm pretty new to some of the terms. Can someone explain what is a parasite link?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast