How Datafeeds Based Website Convert?
    Hi,

I just create a couple of websites based on merchant's datafeed. The sites are new so there is no traffic yet.

I'm thinking to use ppc to promote my websites. Before I do that, I like to hear some info about how good these website convert visitors into buyers.

Do any of you have any numbers how many percent of your visitors buy the products using datafeeds based websites?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Sjarief

I'll answer your question if you can answer this one:

How do sites that aren't based on datafeeds convert?

(It varies tremendously.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

If you are asking about my sites, then the answer is very bad. I got a better luck with AdSense on those site rather than the product I'm promoting. That's why I never use ppc to promote them, it'll be waste of money.

But if you can share any number you have with your site, may be I can draw some conclusion that may be it still profitable to use ppc for promoting my datafeeds based websites.

If the way you make pages doesn't convert well, a data feed is only going to make it easy to crank out a lot of poorly converting pages.

If you get good page conversions, then datafeeds can give you a critical mass of products in one place, allow you to offer cross-sells, up-sells, searching, etc...limited only by what you can develop.

Anyway, a datafeed is not a magic bullet. You still need to know how to make a good site.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by shilmy
    I'm thinking to use ppc to promote my websites. Before I do that, I like to hear some info about how good these website convert visitors into buyers.
    The thing with datafeeds is they don't necessarily convert visitors into buyers. People use them to get products ranked in the search engines so you can catch buyers who *already know* what they'd like to buy. I think it's a lot more difficult to use a datafeed to convert a non-buying visitor into a buyer. You need some good content for that. Ideally you want to have content to compliment your datafeeds because alone you live and die by the search engine results. If you're good at PPC, you don't have to worry so much about your rankings. Best of luck!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

So, the most important function of datafeeds is to get more traffic from search engine.

If I don't have good content, converting ratio is still low, so there is no point in using ppc to promote the site.

Any one kind enough to share an idea on what kind of contents that can improve the converting ratio of my site?

Regards,
    Sjarief

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For PPC traffic, remember that the objective is NOT to brand your site or get return traffic. It's to SELL STUFF! 5c~10c min/click is too expensive for a branding campaign!

So, in my experience, the "content" that's needed, is that which will make the clicker comfortable with becoming a buyer. Tell them about the merchant you're sending them to--not just the product. They already know what the product is, or they wouldn't be looking to buy it. Do say a bit about the product anyway, just so you don't look like a clueless person.

What they DON'T know, is why they should buy it from where you're telling them to. Why should they trust YourMerchant? Will YourMerchant stand behind the product? Has YourMerchant been around awhile (if so, say so...otherwise just don't mention it!)?

Things like that, which help to remove doubts about YourMerchant, have been the most important information to provide in my experience. As for removing doubts about your own site, don't worry about it (unless it looks really newbish or super-ugly, like a Tripod refugee)--the customers are usually only really concerned about the site where they actually have to get out their credit card. So unless your site does something to *add* doubts, it's probably good enough.

One odd thing to make sure of is that your spin (sales pitch) matches certain points on the merchant site. For instance, don't substitute the words "money-back guarantee" if they say "satisfaction guarantee." For some reason people will think that's not trustworthy!

Personally I like to make my sales spin exciting (it's definitely an exuberant, rah-rah pitch!)! But, others like a lower-key approach. For each style, some buyers will like it and some won't--there is no "one size fits all." So, use the "tone" that fits your personality (unless you are really dull!) But however you do it, get your points across.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Sjarief, from our own experience at Russian Legacy, the conversion trend is as follows:

• Sites that do not use datafeeds - c. 0.35%
    • Sites that do use datafeeds - over 1.60%

Hope this is helpful bit of info.

We always encourage affiliates to use datafees.

Geno

Thanks Geno, I really appreciate the statistics. I wish more numbers are revealed from other affiliate managers and other successfull affiliates marketer.

Sjarief

No prob, Sjarief! My pleasure... Use datafeeds, optimize your pages, and you WILL get good conversions.

Good luck!

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

• Sites that do not use datafeeds - c. 0.35%
    • Sites that do use datafeeds - over 1.60%

Could be that , by definition, the ones using datafeeds are more experienced affiliates so are more likely to have got conversion friendly site designs etc.

Les

...and some of the non-datafeed traffic is banners, which are already low-converters anyway.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    Banners are low performers.
    TEXT LINKS ROCK

In my experience, affiliates that use datafeeds definitely convert better than those who don't, but one main reason for that is because the click (which is where merchants start measuring the conversion rate) usually comes farther down the purchase chain.

Instinctively, I'd say yes. The more content you have, the more chance you have of keeping a visitor on your site and converting them to a buyer.

The more info you have, the more chance you have of attracting the person looking for that specific product (and therefore more likely to convert).

Your average person is more likely to spend time browsing a site that has content, products, etc., than one that is simply a list of links. And, of course, it broadens your chances for a search match.

For example... a visitor is browsing your site and sees an add for my site - a general ad that says "Buy Great Stuff Here" and the visitor clicks on it.

Now, compare that to a visitor who is browsing your site and sees a link to a product that they've been looking for. They click on that link and it gives them some initial details about the product (sometimes lots of info about the product) then, at the bottom, a link that says "Buy Now."

It just makes sense that the second link is going to convert on the merchants side better than the first, because the buyer has already completed a couple of steps before the click to our site occurs.

That would easily explain the stats originally posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Sites that do not use datafeeds - c. 0.35%
    Sites that do use datafeeds - over 1.60%

However, if the "no datafeeds" sites have a 10% Click Through Rate and the "datafeed" sites have a 0.1% CTR... that makes a big difference in the bottom line. (Numbers exaggerated to make the point, of course.)

In version A, 100,000 visitors to your site = approx. 35 orders. In Version B, 100,000 visitors to your site = approx. 2 orders.

What I'm trying to say - really - is that you can't use a Merchant's conversion rate (based on datafeed vs. no datafeed) as proof positive that a datafeed is right for you.

The main question is.... out of all the visitors to YOUR site, would a datafeed create better conversion? Not just those who click on the link to the merchant, but your own traffic / sale conversion rate.

The answer... harder than you'd think.

IMHO Datafeeds are a source of content. If you don't have rich, interesting content on your site, I would highly recommend using a datafeed as a baseline.

But remember that there are probably many others using that same datafeed for the same content, so the more of a personal spin you can put on that content that appeals to your site visitors, the better.

Just some thoughts...

Paul

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Your average person is more likely to spend time browsing a site that has content, products, etc., than one that is simply a list of links.
    While that's okay with free traffic, with PPC (one of the original questions in this thread), having people spending time looking at nonsales content is deadly to profits. There needs to be *some* "content" (a list of links is indeed going to be a loser), but the clicker should never be distracted from the buying process.

In other words, the person should find themselves in a retail setting--not end up at a library or a theater!

My hostility towards the whole idea of people spending their time on my site rather than going over to the merchant ASAP, comes directly from my experience with PPC. (While it's been some time since I did heavy PPC advertising, the nature of people hasn't changed a bit, so I don't think anything's different now!)

It's a direct correlant: The more stuff on my site that people could do other than buy, the less profit. It bangs out real clear, when each click is costing money right away. And it doesn't take but a couple of extra choices, to turn profit into loss.

So I quickly learned to make sure there was only one real choice (not counting choosing to read my pitch), besides hitting Back or X, that I gave clickers on my site: Go to the merchant site!

People like to progress, so many would go forward to the merchant's site, rather than hit Back.
    Last edited by Leader; July 21st, 2005 at 12:10 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    In other words, the person should find themselves in a retail setting--not end up at a library or a theater!
    Good point.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread