Results 1 to 3 of 3
July 21st, 2005, 12:47 AM #1Richard
I was wondering if you got my email about the table issue I've been having... I sent it to Ambassador AT fourthworld.com Tuesday night.There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway
July 21st, 2005, 02:42 PM #2
- Join Date
- January 18th, 2005
- Los Angeles, California
Yes, I'd sent this reply on the 18th:
I'll take a look at those soon, but in the meantime I can say that the biggest change between v2.3 and v2.4 was with the parsing of delimited files. v2.4 is now faster and does a more accurate job, but is pickier than v2.3 about making sure the "Text values are in quotes" box is set appropriately for the format being used.
Let me know how that goes for you, and I'll drop you a note once I have a chance to review your files....
I've looked at it since and it seems record 701 is badly formatted, containing extra quotes in the delimiters surrounding field 7 ("Description").
All of the other records in that file have quote-comma-quote delimiting that field, but that record has quote-quote-comma-quote-quote, which throws off WebMerge's parsing.
If you repair that record by removing the extra quotes in the delimiters for that field and the ones following it (for some reason everything from "Descrioption" on has thet same problem) it seems to generate the index page well.
You may also want to let the vendor know that their export routine is non-standard and results in inconsistently-formatted records. I'm not sure how it does that, but CVS is a notoriously complicated and inconsistently-implemented format (even Microsoft's own programs export in different variants of the format, and there is no single standard), so they may find themselves better served by the more consistent tab-delimited format.
If you're exporting these yourself from Excel or some such I would be interested to know which program has the bug so I can file a bug report with them.
I looked into ways to compensate for such erroneous feeds, but I'm not sure I can without messing up properly-formatted records, and if I could it would be very slow to parse.
Thanks for the report. Keep me posted if I can be of further help on this -Richard Gaskin
Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
July 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM #3
Ah, thanks! I figured you could find out what was going on better than I could. After some frustration at trying to decipher the problem, I decided to just send the files on over.
As for your other email, I must've accidentally deleted it along with the bucketload of spam that gets past my filter... Next time I'll write from a spam-free address so I'll be sure to see the response!
About that feed, I get it as a CSV and then just make some minor edits before putting it live. So it's probably coming to me that way. But, I don't want them to push me off onto their alternative "solution," so I guess I'll deal. But, in case my program's doing something to it--to make the edits I use Works Spreadsheet. Lots of people say that's not such a great spreadsheet, but I really can't justify paying for Excel, and even though I can now get OpenOffice to work, I just don't like that one. And Works hasn't given me many problems.
I can say that the biggest change between v2.3 and v2.4 was with the parsing of delimited files.There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway