A look at Anti-Spyware béta from Microsoft
    For those that need a reminder about relationships:

Care of eWeek.com.

You can read many stories about the relationships all over the place.

Fred

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And I wait with baited breath to see what they will do with cookies. ETA for coming out of beta is now after Dec. They've indicated they will be addressing cookies in some fashion when it comes out of Beta.

Kellie, it's the same old thing - business is business. Some here will recognize Spencer (above), some will recognize the issue.

After my Daughter's latest go around with a particularly nasty set of downloads that none of the freeware anti-spyware tools would remove, I finally spent $ 15. and went with Panda's solution. Their freeware solution detects, but doesn't clean.

Fred

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Fred,

Yes indeed. Removal applications are big buisness now. It's unfortuante but reality. It's also highly competitive for these guys. And it's a shame. Although M$ has said they will not charge for their software, since much of the blame for unwanted stuff is laid at their feet for the programming of their software the $$$$ amounts and 'goodwill' might outwiegh sales of the application.

The detect but don't clean until you pay thing drives me crazy also. Especially when they detect the exact same file several times under different adware/spyware names and include each count into their total infection of your computer count. It elicits increases fear in the consumer (certainly it motivates towards the sale) and it really ticks me off when the bulk of detections are cookies being labeled as spyware applications.

The really F'ed thing is that the scum are being "legitimized" ... the recent talks of M$ buying Claria just gave them a clean slate, and intermix ... shoot they were just bought buy Murdoch after they settled with Spitzer.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

As to "they [Intermix] settled with Spitzer": Note that neither party claims the settlement has actually been finalized (as the "-ed" in "settled" would seem to indicate). Rather, the settlement is variously described as proposed, tentative, etc. Who ever heard of pre-announcing a settlement? Very odd.

Over at Internet Stock Blog, I posted a comment as to the full scope of Intermix's potential liability. Perhaps of interest here too. Quoting:

I do wonder about the size of Intermix's outstanding liability for spyware / adware. If their settlement with Spitzer ends up costing them $7m (and remember that their statements so far only discuss a "tentative" settlement, not a done deal, which is odd and puzzling in and of itself), and if NY is <7% of the US's population (19 million people out of 295 million), and if Intermix's wrongdoing affects all parts of the country equally (all US citizens about equally likely to have PCs, get Intermix, etc.), then Intermix's imputed liability is roughly $100 million for all claims within the US. (And then there are potential claims from abroad.) Clearly getting to that result would require diligence by more AGs, or by private attorneys acting in their place. But it's a big number. $7m could be only the very beginning. That means the "real" price of acquiring Intermix is higher than the values of the shares purchased -- Intermix comes with a substantial litigation liability.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread