http and a telephoto
    Transponder.vx2.A
    Microsoft Anti Spyware found this last night and suggested I remove it, which I did. It lists the author as: Mindset Interactive/Direct Revenue/ABetterInternet And it is a BHO "that monitors Web page requests and data entered into forms and displays pop-up advertisements Transponder.vx2.A also collects and sends personal information."

This was on my laptop, that I haven't been using much. Spyware did update yesterday, so could this have been there a while and just wasn't found? I should have checked the file date before I removed it. If it was installed yesterday it came from either an affiliate site or a datafeed subscription site that I was checking on to see what their service entails.

Of course if it has been there a while, it could have come from more places, but again, the laptop hasn't been used a lot lately.

Checking for the file on the desktop after I finish this post.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    loxly,

You may want to check your computer manaully also. I'm not sure if M$ program will detect all their different files. Nothing against M$ necessarily, but they have gobs of different exe files and the such. You get one of them and they install the other ones over time.

Could be a concidence (ie CYA), but these are the guys who were still on my computer after running removal applications that required the first and only time I've ever had to reformat a computer having this stuff installed. Notorns crashed on me (in their TOS they can disable such applications) and then M$ system files got shot to hell.

Also, every time I've installed their stuff I got something that also tracked and reported home all URLs visited. I've had the same thing installed from other sources also and I'm not sure *who* is really behind it.

http and a telephoto
    I am just concerned because I run the MS program nightly and it JUST showed up and the only new sites I visited yesterday are ones that shouldn't be doing nasty things AND I didn't get a notice that anything was added to my computer. Does anyone know if MS JUST added these folks to their profile and thus wouldn't have found it before or is it safe to assume I got it from a site I visited yesterday?

If so, I have some AM's to contact.
    Deborah Carney

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I know that variants of the IPInsight, DirectRevenue, Transponder, etc have been in M$ definitions. But M$ doesn't update their definitions as frequently as others, so it could be possible a newer file was installed prior to your update by M$. You can also check the source code of the sites you visited to see if it shows a drive-by install. Did you install any programs recently? It's really hard to back track once you've gotten infected.

http and a telephoto
    The laptop used to be my main computer, but is not since I purchased a new desktop in February. The laptop has very little in the way of "new" on it. If the definitions were just updated and this was just added, it could be something that has been around. However, it is not appearing on my desktop as yet. I was working on the desktop and needed to check some sites in Firefox, so downloaded THAT to the laptop and checked some sites, then used IE to go to a couple of others.

I may go back to one site in particular, using the laptop and see what happens.
    Deborah Carney

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    This cybercriminal gang at Coolwebsearch and the VX2 transponder group attack consumers from all exploitation fronts. E-mail Spam, phishing sites, DNS poisoning and Zombie Ddos attacks, drive-by installs of trojans and BHOs plus the usual freebie bundling. If this industry wants to cut the Russian Mob, Terrorists group funding, spammers, identity theft rings from their networks ...they need to turn the spotlights on those mentioned at ... http://www.webhelper4u.com/index.html

Public Outing and booting before the Fed's move in and subpoena records is the only choice if they're to do some serious CYA moves. I work with no CPC or lead merchants so I don't submit my savvy shoppers to the perps operating behind Mindset Interactive/Direct Revenue/ABetterInternet. Therefore I don't know which affiliate networks monitize these wanks. Ms.B should expand her snoop records.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread