A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Talking Packing Advice
    HELP!!

Okay, so we are leaving for Germany tomorrow, and I have been prepping and packing all week. Hubby asks if we have to take two big suitcases (plus our full size carry-on bag, and a Sit N' STroll stroller for the little one). Well, I was exasperated since I worked very hard to separate stuff into the two bags. I decide to give it a try. I was able to combine some stuff, leave a few things that aren't really important, and get everything into one big suitcase - tightly.

I think we could do this, but if we get anything at all while we're over there (which we always do), it won't fit in the case. So now he says to put all our stuff into one big and one slightly smaller case (we have a set of four cases). Now I'm pulling my hair out. Frankly, I was impressed I fit it all into one bag! LOL! The two big cases were nice just from the point of having plenty of room for extras. Everytime we go there, our two big bags are always stuffed.

So I guess I am wondering what you all would do... I don't have a ton of traveling experience, and I KNOW I always overpack.

We are two adults and a toddler going out of the country for 2 weeks...seemed to warrant a ton of luggage in my mind....

Any thoughts?
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

ABW Ambassador
    Where in Germany are you going?

Frankfurt (Oder)

ABW Ambassador
    Had plans to go to Heidelberg last October but something came up. Don't know about the packing but we usually end up buying luggage over there to bring back all the stuff we bought

LOL! We almost had to do that during one trip, but I somehow managed to cram everything in at the last minute... Of course we'll be in it if the zipper busts out one of these times!

How about putting everything into one case and then put that case inside the largest one. That way, you will have an extra one for bringing things home in if you need to but still only carrying one until necessary.

Wow! That's a great idea suzie! That didn't even cross my mind! *smacks head* You're a lifesaver!

Just take enough stuff for the baby and 2 empty suitcases. When you get there tell your hubby you need to go shopping and buy new outfits

Suzie, you took the words right out of my mouth. My wife is English and still has a lot of belongings back home, so when we visit we generally put our largest bag inside an even larger duffle. That way we're sure to be able to haul a ton of stuff back with us. I actually used the duffle alone when packing for three months in France when I was younger. It's huge...

Will you pretty much be staying in one hotel the whole time, or traveling around quite a bit while in Germany?

I have some general travel advice at http://www.travel-diaries.com/travel_tips_and_advice/ and would love to read about your trip when you get back (hint hint).

Have a blast! Germany's beautiful from what I saw of it!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    I learned a little trick for business travel... for shirts that need to be ironed (if you're bringing any) try rolling them rather than folding them. You'll make more room and it makes for less wrinkles when you take it out.

As for leaving room for shopping - that was my first thought but looks like the others already have that covered in previous posts.

I'm a huge overpacker too... yet when I last travelled I tried to counteract that by grossly UNDERpacking - so if you happen to find a formula to produce a happy medium - do share!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip Istolze. and all!

All the best,

Some of these have already been mentioned, but here are some of my tips:

1) Pack a suitcase inside a suitcase if you'll be buying stuff.

2) If you're traveling somewhere where some commodities (bottled water, soda, film, batteries, snacks, diapers, etc.) cost more (overseas especially), pack what you will use and after you use them you'll have a place to put the stuff you buy.

3) Pack your heavier items in the small suitcases and the lighter items in the large suitcases. If you fill a larger one with heavy stuff, it can be unmanageable and might have over-weight surcharges if you're flying.

4) Plan on wearing pants and shirts twice. You can save a lot of space this way. Pack even less if you plan on buying some things you can wear. Minimize the number of shoes and other accessories.

5) Don't bother ironing. Clothes will get wrinkled anyway (althrough rolling helps) so you might as well just iron at your destination.

6) Minimize the number of bags. Pack a toiletry bag, electronics bag, etc, inside your suitcases. It's easier to carry two suitcases than one suitcases and half a dozen loose things.

7) Get suitcases with rollers and that can be strapped together.

8) Carefully pack your toiletry bag. If sample (smaller) sizes will last, pack those. If you'll be gone a longer time, consider buying some of the bulkier things at your destination if it's not going to be too inconvenient or expensive. Restock it when you get home, and you'll be ready to go much quicker next time.

9) When you pack your carry-on, make sure the things you will likely need (paperwork, book, etc.) are easiest to access.

10) Bring addresses (or labels) and postage if you plan on sending letters or postcards.

11) If you bring CDs or DVDs, don't bring the cases. You can carry a dozen or two without cases in the same space as one with the case. Just get a small CD wallet to put them all in.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Rolling your clothes is a must. It takes up MUCH less space. Roll tight, and don't worry about wrinkles.

And, pack more underwear than outerwear for all "non toddlers".

With clean underwear, you'd be amazed how many times you can wear your clothes.Consider buying new socks and underwear and throwing them out as you go. (Actually cheaper to do that than wash them.)

Take a small box of detergent. If you are gone for two weeks, it'll be easier to take a couple of hours to wash clothes than it is to schlepp everything you'll need. Or, sink wash.

Take a dirty clothes bag (trash bag) to keep your dirties separate from your clean.

No advice, but wanted to say have fun, we'll miss ya!

Make sure to take many photos to share with us.

Bon voyage!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

have a great time,
    please tell me you are not going with a lap top.
    it will be here when you get back.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread