Missing Code.
    I have log files mailed to me every 100-200 hits I get on some of my lower traffic sites so I can see whats going on with them.

These are php sites and I have an include on my main template for the log tracker/mailer file.

Now I've never removed this include in the source but every so often I'll stop getting my logs and I'll go and check the template and the include line is gone!!

This happened to me again today. Has any one ever have a host edit your files? Am I losing my mind? Has anyone experienced anything like this??
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

lurk
    So when you check your local files the line is still there, but when you check the live files the line of code is gone?

Check the date the file was last modified. Considering putting a require_once() http://www.php.net/require_once instead of an include so it doesn't execute twice. But putting 2 locations could help solve the problem?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    Has any one ever have a host edit your files?
    Yes. I have one particular site where I removed some HTML code I didn't recognize - next day it was back. After the third day / time, I contacted the host - they were running some kind of diagnostic sniffer for XML integration code for an add on service they offer. They weren't ONLY looking at sites where webmasters had opted in to the extra service - and for some reason, the length of my page apparently - the xml tool was splitting the page into sections due to what it thought was a field type mismatch in my content. My host (a decent company that I still use) were totally baffled. In the end, I changed the darn page so it wasn't so long - printed, it was like 15 pages - I really did need to break it into shorter sections, but I didn't need them adding ANY code to my pages no matter what!

Is yours mysteriously showing up changed in the morning? (I'm thinking an overnight hosting script executing - trying to do something that is intended to help people, but is misguided.)

I didn't think of checking the modified dates. I'm using dreamweaver and its synced(?) with the site so I edited the file before thinking to check the dates.

Now that I think about it it seems weekly almost AND I know my host is running some kind of server wide maintance script because it is showing up in my log files...so that may be it. I'll email them to see. Maybe its some kind of spam/email monitoring thing.

Or it may be just be me being a total flake!! lol... it's happenned more than a few times so I know I'm not mistakenly removing it. I dont edit the template files very often if at all usually....

Thanks all - if I found out more info I'll post it incase others may have the same issue....and if there is no explaination, well then....ghost in the machine again!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

there's a solution - it's with your host ^_^

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread