Summer Sales VS Winter Sales
    Summer Sales VS Winter Sales
    I was looking through my stats for the last 10 months doing some averaging..

I found that the number of sales I have now is way more than I had 10 months ago.. yet I am making less money..

Digging a little deeper what I found was that the average sale for summer is 50% less than the average sale in winter..

With that in mind I will make sure I have at least three times the amount of summer stuff out there next year.. which should help with the following winter sales to..

On A good note I see bigger sales coming through this week than for the past two months.. so maybe it's almost over..

Come On WINTER TIME
    Not only for Skiing and Snowboarding but for SALES TOO..

That's my summer time blues..
    I would put it to music but I don't play an instrument..

I believe, winter time is the best time for nearly all merchants too...

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    AddHandler,

You are correct, winter is when it happens.

as we leave the summer blues and get ready for some serious credit card use
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...428#post459428

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    Question
    A question.... what absolutely doesn't sell in the Winter period?? How do home and garden products perform?
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    I believe, winter time is the best time for nearly all merchants too...

Geno
    I hear this alot, but for some reason, my mall site has had the best sales during July/August. Best sellers have been in the Home, Garden and Clothing categories. This trend began last year and this year appears to be the same thing. I'm not including holiday spikes when my traffic explodes out of control.
    Last edited by erninator; July 22nd, 2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: speeling
    ~Ernie

During winter people are sitting inside a lot more, cold, don't want to go out to the shops in the cold so that also adds to them sitting in front of the computer buying all our products - Thank goodness for the winter time blues, it keeps us all a float!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Usually I'm waiting for winter, too (for the buyers, that is--I *hate* the w*nter weather!).

But this year, I'm waiting for fall. Bulb-buying season! Once it's really winter, the ground is frozen...

what absolutely doesn't sell in the Winter period??
    Hammocks are pretty much a dead issue then...nobody wants to go out and lounge in the snow!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    We see a dip in sales over the summer since our products target families with the presence of children ages 3-12. Finally, we are starting to see traffic and sales on the increase. Hang in there-Q4 is coming

How do the following perform in Q4?
    - Home decor (rugs, paintings, etc...)
    - Clothing / Footware
    - Jewelry / Watches / Accessories
    - Kitchen accessories

First Q4 for me, quite anxious that the products I display won't perform well. All comments appreciated.

All that stuff is great for Q4. Out of that list, what's not good for gifts, is good for fixing up the house for the upcoming guests. Also a nice pop in Q1 for home decor...apparently people replacing what got broken/ripped/stained at Christmas and New Year's parties. It's fun to watch the stats between about 1AM-4AM New Year's, and see a few sales come in when some drunken husband has to buy a replacement of something he stumbled into, to keep the peace--and quick! At least, that's what I imagine is happening when someone suddenly decides to buy a home decorating item at that particular time. I can just see the wife angrily holding a frying pan over his head as he frantically types in his CC number and pleads, "I'll get you a new one, dear...right now!"

Not so sure about the paintings specifically, though. I remember seeing mixed reports on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I can just see the wife angrily holding a frying pan over his head as he frantically types in his CC number and pleads, "I'll get you a new one, dear...right now!"
    LOL, nice imagery and good reasoning. I hope I am not watching the stats on New Years though, I hope to be

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda_mytights
    During winter people are sitting inside a lot more, cold, don't want to go out to the shops in the cold so that also adds to them sitting in front of the computer buying all our products - Thank goodness for the winter time blues, it keeps us all a float!

Now when you are in Santa Barbara! Heh...

I hope I am not watching the stats on New Years though,
    I can't help it, I'm a hopeless stats addict

ABW Ambassador
    We see a dip in sales over the summer since our products target families with the presence of children ages 3-12.
    They're buying other kinds of stuff in the summer for that age group.

Well when I first heard everyone saying that sales dropped in summer
    I thought it was the NUMBER of actual sales.. not the average sale amount..
    So it made me feel a lot better knowing that I am getting MORE sales now than last winter.. but the payout is less because of the sale amount.. when winter comes I'll be rockin..

This is my first full year doing this so I am trying to keep track of any monthly trends so I can do better every month.. But I didn't have any Home and Garden up for this summer.. but next summer you'll be able to find all that stuff on a couple of my domains.. so feel free to click through and buy.. lol

I usually see a larger average order size in the month leading up to Christmas, but the biggest difference is usually the conversion ratio. People buy much easier when they're holiday shopping.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well when I first heard everyone saying that sales dropped in summer
    I thought it was the NUMBER of actual sales.. not the average sale amount..
    That IS the scenario I see! I'm surprised you're getting a higher number of sales.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    This is my first full year doing this so I am trying to keep track of any monthly trends so I can do better every month..
    Join the club AddHandler I am anxious but very, very excited with the prospects this Q4 holds! Very different then my situation last year... penniless and hopeful...this year I am ecstatic I have discovered affiliate marketing!!! C'mon Q4 2005 I'm ready for you.

Preacherman - I have had sites up for over six years.. I had some affiliate banners and stuff on my info pages.. just building for fun.. I was making around $25.00 a month.. and didn't care.. Then for some reason last August... I started making more money $150 $200.. and that raised my curiousity.. and I said "Hey if I can make $150 $200 - playing around" - Then I can make a lot more if I take it seriously.. so I started building for shoppers.. by November I was making A LOT MORE.. my online pay was equal to my regular paycheck from my day job.. December it DOUBLED.. January almost DOUBLED AGAIN.. so now this is my fulltime job... IT'S AWESOME..

All my friends made fun of me.. no one believed it could happen..
    the main thing I heard from everyone I know is this:::

"if it can be done from home -- why isn't everyone in the world doing it??"
    I kept telling them that there - ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE DOING IT.. but they didn't BELIEVE...

Now I call those guys at there day jobs once in awhile and ask how it's going..
    it's always the same thing "my boss this.. my co-workers this.. I hate my job"
    LOL - while I sit here listening to music and doing what I want when I want..

I am glad your excited about Q4... If you have taken it seriously the past few months.. Q4 should be very good indeed.. GOOD LUCK.. Hope you double triple your sales!!!!!!! It's A GREAT FEELING...

-----------------------------------------

LEADER -- Yep that is what I see in my stats -- equal to or higher number of sales..
    But each sale is 50% less..
    There is nothing I can do about this.. I can't make them buy more expensive stuff..

EXAMPLE:::
    MONTH____|_AVERAGE SALE AMOUNT__
    DEC 2004___|_$141.60
    JAN 2005___|_$140.36
    FEB 2005___|_$134.71
    MAR 2005___|_$112.79
    APR 2005___|_$112.44
    MAY 2005___|_$85.72
    JUN 2005___|_$73.07
    JULY 2005__|_$72.88

Those are just the average sale purchase amounts.. But I am getting the same or MUCH higher number of sales.. but less money means less profit for me.. so I can't wait until they start buying the winter stuff again.. And next summer I am going to have to triple the amount of stuff I sell in order to increase the number of sales I make.. to make up for the cheaper items for summer.. I also have to keep adding new niche merchants.. DIVERSIFY MORE AND MORE...
    This is a FULL TIME JOB.. no doubt about it..

If the jump between July 05 - Jan 06 is anything like it was during the same period last year, it's going to be an amazing year.

Year over year June sales were up 400%. This month already looks like it will blow away December 04 and year over year will be up 300% - 400% again.

Avg CJ sale value in Dec 04 was $128 and this month so far is $185. January was much better than December last year.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I can't wait until they start buying the winter stuff again...
    What kind of "winter stuff" sells best at your stores, AddHandler and during what period? Our high time (sales-wise) is October-February. That's when we make most of our year's sales... Eager to learn about your "winter stuff"...

Geno

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread