Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eBay auction link problems..
    Help..
    I used the ebay Editor kit to make a nifty script to display a few ebay auctions on many of the pages of my site.. I added this script about 9 months ago and it has been working fine until about a week or 2 ago.

Now I get an error about 50% of the time when I visit a page with the ebay script and the auctions do not show up.

The error is located at the bottom of internet explorer and says something like this;
    script error
    line 2
    charc 1

I tried recreating the script via ebay editor tool, that didn't help. I tried editing my template.. removing stuff from line 2 but I get the same error. I even tried putting the script on a blank page, nothing but the script and would still get this error.. argh..

what is up? anybody else seeing this?

Hi Marty,

Are you getting the errors 50% of the time over all pages or are the errors appearing on 50% of the (same) pages?

BTW, thanks for answering my question on the eBay board.

Regards,
    Tuan

i'm getting this error 50% of the time on all pages.. not just one..

Hi Marty,

Have you tried viewing your pages from another computer/network? My logic is that codes don't change randomly whereas network performance does fluctuate.

Good Luck,
    Tuan

Hi Marty,

Must be Friday afternoon

I meant have you tried your codes on a different server? with a different network path to CJ.

Tuan

just tried it from a different server..
    same result..
    it appears to be all or nothing.. when its working, it works everywhere.. but when I catch it and its not working, its not working everywhere.. almost like a congested issue or busy server.. but I don't think that is the case.. its giving me a syntax error..

Hi Marty,

Regarding the syntax error, it's possible for a request to time out and thereby trigger a syntax error from the halted code execution. I'm not saying that I think this is the case with the current issue, just that it's possible (for example in dealing with Amazon's 1 second rule).

Is the script error coming from your codes?
    If you insert extra space/lines in your codes do you still get:
    "line 2
    charc 1"

Tuan

If you are using the sid= parameter in your editor kit try removing it. I encountered similar problems and removing sid from the ebay url fixed the problem.

I've been getting errors on eBay pages with the Editor Kit on them for several months now. They appear to still be working, but each time a page loads, it generates a 404 error in my logs. Seems to be looking for something called "undefined."

CJ AAQ said I need to redo ALL of the old Editor Kit links to the new ones to correct this. Sure CJ...when I find an extra week or two with nothing to do, I'll be happy to take care of that...

Andy

removing the sid parameter will sux but worth a try, I will do that and let you know.
    Without the SID paramter, how do you know which page the bids are coming from?

One thing I have found out, just like Andy said, once the page reloads, I get the error.
    If I close down IE and reopen, I'm good.. until i reload or go to another page.. argh..

Having the exact same problem with the editorkit not showing up, and getting the error. I have a collector site that nearly runs completely on this code and cannot tell if it is not working world wide or not. I've visited other sites that use the editorkit as well and their's do not show unless it's a new browser window too.

crap, crap, mega crap.

I removed the SID on one of my frequently visited pages.. still getting that error on occasion..

Something obviously changed on either CJ's side or eBay's side. The SID shouldn't matter. I sent a message to CJ's help on Friday, but haven't heard back yet.

I have redone a few of my pages with the new editor kit, sorry this thing doesn't return very good results.. the old one gives me better results just errors..

I've been using the editor kit for almost three years now. When they came out with newer versions, I never changed except to manually add some features I liked with global search/replace throughout my site (like title). Mine have not been causing the problems you guys are describing.

Here is the code I use:

Code:
    script language="javascript" src="http://lapi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EKServer&ai=o%7Ftctusp%7D%7D%7E%7E%7F&prvd=1&track=99999&srchdesc=n&si=&catid=0&minprice=&maxprice=&endtime=y&numbid=y&width=540&height=0&num=200&popup=y&query=SEARCH%20TERM&hdrcolor=FFFFCC&bdrcolor=FFCC00&fs=1&fntcolor=000000&title=SEARCH+TERM&siteid=0&sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc&img=y&sid=SEARCHTERM">
    I had to remove the "<" at the beginning and "< /script >" at the end in order to get this code to show up. Otherwise, it showed an actual editor kit box.

The things you need to change:
    (1) track = 99999 - replace with your CJ Affiliate ID
    (2) query=SEARCH%20TERM - replace with your search term (separate words with %20)
    (3) title=SEARCH+TERM - replace with whatever title you want to appear
    (4) sid=SEARCHTERM - replace with SID you want to use.

Also, if you want description to be searched change srchdesc=n to srchdesc=y.

I always set the listings to show the max allowed, which is 200. If you want less to show up, change num=200 to how many listings you want displayed.

I like the listings to open in a new window, because people often go down the list and bid on more than one item, but if you don't want a new window to open change popup=y to popup=n.

Finally, a couple of years ago when eBay decided to change several category ids, it made a mess of several thousand pages at my site. Ever since I have set catid=0, which means it will search the entire eBay site. In doing so, I am careful to include the main category title in the search description. For example, if category 9494 is widgets, before I would have set catid=9494, and make my search description simply BLUE. Now, if I want to search for Blue Widgets, I set catid=0, and set the search to Widgets%20Blue. Let them change the category numbers all they want, my results will still work.

I've always just copied this same script over and over to new pages and changed the searched terms. If you're having problems with the scripts you are using, maybe this will help.

Tracy,
    as always really good info.

I wonder if you know how to sort out auctions that just recently started?

I can sort ending but there a lot of 10 days auctions listed that show up followed by 9, 8 days. I want to show aucitons that were most recently listed regardless of when they end. I want to see the most recent auctions. a lot of auctions are just for 1 day or 3 days.. if I have a lot of returns in my query, I don't see these auctions..

any ideas and does what I ask even make sense?

Hi Marty,

Change this section:
    &sortby=endtime&sortdir=asc&

To:
    &sort=MetaNewSort&sortby=endtime&sortdir=desc&

This should give you the newest listings first.

thanks.. I will give it a try..

No problem. Did changing the code help get rid of those errors you've been seeing 50% of the time?

nope... still getting that darn syntax error..

That doesn't make sense. I don't get those errors at all on my pages. Maybe it is something else. I just visited a couple of your eBay pages, and the listings are coming up fine.

One thing I noticed is when I put my mouse over a listing, it turns solid blue so that you can't read the words. That doesn't happen with my listings.

I also use fixed .html pages and always put the script in a table by itself. I noticed you're using asp. Could that be causing a conflict? Maybe if you try putting the script on and .html page, then upload it, and check the page. If you don't get the errors, then maybe it has something to do with asp.

Tracy/Marty,

My Editor Kits are on fixed html pages as well, in a table, and I get errors. The auctions show up just fine, and they appear to work OK as far as I can tell, although ACRUs, BINs, and Bids seem slower than normal lately.

My auctions open a new window, and the code I'm using is the original code that came out in the beginning.

Tracy, I know you're the resident ABW Expert on eBay, and I appreciate all the advice you've given over the years about eBay, but this one sure has me stumped. I guess I'll have to try the new Editor Kit links, although if they don't correct the problem my error logs are going to continue to be HUGE!

Andy

It has me stumped too. Especially since I can't make it happen at my site. The only problem I've ever run into is a RunTime error every once in a while when I preview the page before uploading it. I finally figured out that changing num=200 to num=199 fixes it. Ocassionally, I've seen it happen on a live page on my site, and I've been able to hit the RELOAD page and it goes away that way.

Now I'm wondering. Is this the problem you guys are experiencing?

Hi Tracy,

I don't think that's the problem I'm having, but I'll pay close attention next time to see if that's what's going on.

From what I've seen, my auction pages load and work just fine, but generate that "undefined" request in my logs. It's almost like the eBay server is hitting my server for a file named "undefined" when the Editor Kits load. Since that file doesn't exist on my server, I get an error entry instead.

I might stick something there to see what happens...might be interesting to see if it has any effect on the pages...

Andy

Could it be possilbe that you have virus on your computer ?
    Or a modified Hosts file ?
    Here is some info on that I found on the web: Click Here that addresses this problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast