Google Has Been Listing 24,000 Pages, When We Only Have 300!
    Believe it or not, Google has been listing 24,000 pages for us when we only have 300 total. What the engine actually does is listing the OUTPUT of the OpenDir search engine. It actually lists the output pages of OpenDir for a myriad of words. So, when we realized this, we saw 24,000 listings to us. Then we stopped allowing our OpenDir pages to be listed by Google, and Google is now down to 8,000 page listings. As you might remember, Google has pushed our site to oblivion, and our revenue from CJ has come down to about .25%. You heard it right: .25%.

huhu

Internet Cowboy
    I would think more pages listed would be better

I also don't see why having 24k listings with a multitude of key words would be bad, it should allow for a greater chance of people finding your site. The fact that G shunns your site may have a different reason(s).

Maybe I' not seeing something fundamental here, any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

huhu,

You have some ODP script and google indexed those and you think there is some correlation to being down in CJ earnings because of that? I'm totally lost.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Which site pages are important may be obvious to a human, but to Google the data's coming in in an undifferentiated mass...if it sees 24,000 OpenDir clone pages it's likely that it considers the whole site a clone and tanked it. The small amount of real pages (only 300) would be absolutely buried under that huge pile of ODP stuff. It'd be like trying to find 300 legal-tender coins out of a pile of 24,000 tokens.

Theoretically, banning the G-bot from the OpenDir output could allow it to "see" the important pages, and rank them accordingly.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Unfortunately, Google has now completely eliminated our site. Our site does not exist on Google. This is in spite of the fact that 15,300 pages refer to our site! There is no doubt in our minds that Google is too greedy an engine for many of us now. Its continuous quest for bigger profits is pushing many people out of business.

huhu

Haiko,

Why exactly are you totally lost? Google claims that it considers BILLIONS of variables in its site evaluations. Think about it. Also, think about the fact that Google is just another company whose main interest is MAKING MORE MONEY!

huhu

I think Leader is on the right track here. Google don't like ODP clones, they nuke them out of the index.

It sounds as if your site was mostly an odp clone? If so, that's probably why your domain was nuked.

>Google claims that it considers BILLIONS of variables in its site evaluations.

You sure about that? I'd hate to be their algo tweaker if you're right.

>Google is just another company whose main interest is MAKING MORE MONEY!

What!?! Are you serious? You mean a company online is more interested in making money than anything ELSE? Geez, the nerve of some people ya know?

On a more serious note, you'd serve yourself well to take the next appropriate steps instead of talking about your perspective of Google's business.

ABW Ambassador
    There's a thread about it here:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/30575.htm

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread