Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Which is better cPanel or Plesk?
    My hosting gives me a choice of using either cPanel or Plesk. I used to use plesk, but it's been a long time. I've had cPanel the past couple of years (currently using cPanel 10). If I remember correctly the cpanel gives more options but plesk is easier to use.

I'm thinking about asking them to switch me back to plesk, but wondering if that's a good idea (my memory might be wrong about plesk!).

Help me make up my mind so I don't jump to plesk and be sorry later...

Have you used both? Which gives more power to the user? Which is easier? Which has more options available or are the options the same in different format?

All opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Lectric
    Last edited by Lectrickitty; July 24th, 2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error

if its the new plesk 7 its nice i haven't used cpanel in a while though but I do know you get my options and freedom with it than you do with plesk

CPanel = easy
    Plesk = HARD

I'd say go CPanel to be safe ... I have both and Cpanel is a breaze and a joy, and plesk is on Rackspace ... so they can take care of the issues
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

CPANEL has more options that Plesk from my experience.

RackSpace is awful. I'll never use them again. From my experience they simply try to get your money.

I like cpanel, it's eaiser

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The more you learn how to do, the more Plesk sucks! It's too limiting. I haven't used cPanel, but from what I hear, it's a lot better now.

Webnet, what's going on with RackSpace? You're the second one to complain about them in about a month...this is something new, they didn't used to draw complaints...what suckiness should I be on the lookout for? Is something about them ready to bite me in the butt? They do like to charge out the wazoo, but that's not new...unless the prices are going up even more, anyway!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Here's another vote for cPanel. I think it's great and really easy to use.

ABW Ambassador
    I almost fainted when I saw the managed backup charges some time back. Twice what I pay for the full hosting package. I gave them h!@#% for it so with rackspace you really have to be very careful with every detail as any overage would incur cut throat charges.

We use Cpanel which is easy to navigate...

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    I almost fainted when I saw the managed backup charges some time back. Twice what I pay for the full hosting package. I gave them h!@#% for it so with rackspace you really have to be very careful with every detail as any overage would incur cut throat charges.
    Oh, that's just normal Rackspace. It's like getting a Mercedes serviced: Fuse for Chevy, $1. Same fuse "for Mercedes:" $20.

It's also why "backup" here = me regularly making a copy myself, and downloading it to my PC, LOL!
    The bandwidth overages are steep, but I finally got them to up the baseline for free so it all worked out.

I used them before they switched from rackshack.net and I got screwed numerous times when they were. I remember overage charges, their account area was confusing, and they charged for EVERYTHING. I remember specifically that they had not included the backup options in CPanel BUT they did have a backup option on their site for $4.99. Once I realize that I was done. They also overload their servers. I rented a dedicated but the bandwidth was awful, slow loading times cause of so many servers on each line.

ewwww they were bad.

Ok, you convinced me to stay with the cPanel.

Now can someone answer a couple of questions for me. I have several more domain names pointed to my host so they can be hosted on the same site. How do I work them into the system? Iím fairly sure that I should add them at ďparked domainsĒ.

If itís parked, where do I upload files to put them in the parked domains? I will have 10 or 15 index pages (one for each domain name) so I know they must go to their own domain names, but I donít know where those files should be uploaded. Right now I upload everything to the www file. When I park a name will it give me a MyOtherDomain.com file to upload to?

Sorry to sound so sappy. Iíve build tons of pages on separate hosts, but this is my first time to put multiple domain names in a single hosting account.

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Ok, you convinced me to stay with the cPanel.

Now can someone answer a couple of questions for me. I have several more domain names pointed to my host so they can be hosted on the same site. How do I work them into the system? Iím fairly sure that I should add them at ďparked domainsĒ.

If itís parked, where do I upload files to put them in the parked domains? I will have 10 or 15 index pages (one for each domain name) so I know they must go to their own domain names, but I donít know where those files should be uploaded. Right now I upload everything to the www file. When I park a name will it give me a MyOtherDomain.com file to upload to?

Sorry to sound so sappy. Iíve build tons of pages on separate hosts, but this is my first time to put multiple domain names in a single hosting account.
    Two ways you can go about this:
    1) You have a single-domain account at a provider like powweb, and park those extra domains to the main domain using the hosting company's parking feature. Then, in your index.php in the main directory you use code to read the headers of each request as they come in and execute code that displays the correct HTML for each of the domains. I would recommend putting all additional HTML code in a separate sub-directory for each domain.
    This is a pain to maintain, and if done incorrectly can be mis-interpreted as search engine spam by some search engines.

2) Get a reseller account at a provider like HTTPME.COM These are officially designed for people to "resell" domains to others without having to rent a whole server and manage it themselves. But for individuals with multiple domains like most of us, it's the ideal answer for setting up and managing all our domains as if they were separate companies. You get freedom to set up different rules for each of the domains, manage email better, etc. You are also less likely to run into troubles with search engines (most of the big ones say they do NOT penalize for domains on the same IP address).

I personally go with 3 different hosts:
    HTTPME for my main, production sites,
    interland for a legacy MS IIS-ASP site I still run,
    newwebsite.com as a sandbox
    (they recently were hacked, but since I only use them for my playground and tests, no harm was done).
    newwebsite is also were I keep a copy of all my domains with static HTML so I can quickly change DNS entries if service from HTTPME was ever seriously messed up.

Hope the above advice helps.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

I used them before they switched from rackshack.net and I got screwed numerous times when they were. I remember overage charges, their account area was confusing, and they charged for EVERYTHING. I remember specifically that they had not included the backup options in CPanel BUT they did have a backup option on their site for $4.99.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Rackshack and Rackspace aren't related companies. RackSHACK became EV1Servers.net http://www.ev1servers.net/

Whereas, this is RackSPACE: www.rackspace.com

I just asked RackSPace on their live chat (they don't close); they confirm that they are totally unrelated to RackSHack. And (to my somewhat dismay), they said they don't have a cPanel option now, at any price! While this confirms that you must have been at Shack/EV1...it also means I'm stuck with infernal Plesk, which I had intended to ditch at some point in the future. Space may have some other option, though.

Also, Shack is an UNmanaged server company, while Space has managed $ervers.

As for the fees, managed hosting is waaayyy more expensive than unmanaged. With managed, you're paying for all the extra, clueful, staff it takes to handle whatever comes up (even if you made it come up by running some crummy script), within minutes, 24/7/365...

Space will also "ala carte" you to death, unfortunately, which is why that point alone didn't let me know you were at a different place. But every time I get thinking it's not worth it, they fix something before I even realize it was broken (and I check often)! For instance, a month or so ago (about when I introduced GoodBulbs...might have even been that thread) someone posted that my site was down. A few minutes later, I saw that post and checked. It was up for me, so I said that maybe it was his ISP. Imagine my shock when I checked my off-site email later, and found a note from Space that said "the server was taken down at X:XX time because of X, we did X to fix that issue, then did XX to keep it from happening again, and restored it to service. If you have any other questions, respond to this ticket or call (contact info)." All in a few minutes, and without me having to discover it first!!

It's things like that, that make Space worth their price.

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    I find Plesk great for my purposes. BTW if you are looking for a excellent host I recommend eapps.com. Been using them for almost a year now with no problems plus their prices are very competitive.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

I have an excellent host. Years ago I bought an unlimited package with yearly renewal rights guaranteed price control (a VERY sweet deal!). I can park all the domains I want, I have unlimited bandwidth, I can build forever and never have to pay extra for any of the services.

My account has php, ftp manager, free backup, unlimited subdomains, MySQL, CGI, frontpage extensions, chatroom, bulletin board, cron jobs, shopping cart, and tons of other stuff. The whole account is unlimited for everything that's available on it.

I just need to figure out how to use it all. In short, I need a cPanel for dummies book!

*disclaimer* I'm not trying to "sell" anyone on my hosting company. They don't sell the unlimited accounts anymore. I just got lucky all those years ago and I'm keeping that hosting plan forever.
    Last edited by Lectrickitty; July 26th, 2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors & added "disclaimer"

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread