Reg DCP - Sig dispute [split]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    Fabrizio,

Do not post affiliate URLs: This means don't post the URLs of affiliate's web site (ie www.affiliatesite.com).

You will see links to web sites in some folks sigs. That can be done AFTER the member has earned the signiture privilege. Members who post and contribute to the forum will eventually gain that privilege. We do not allow for manually adding of a sig if the sig privilege has not been earned.

Posting of URLs under any circumstances which contain an affiliate tracking id (ie www.mymerchant.com/?affid=xyz) is never allowed.

Any posting of your own URL which is primarily just to 'get your link' out there is not allowed and will be edited as board spam.

Kellie,
    As much as I can appreciate your stand on affiliate linking, banning links to users homepages is just "mean spirited".
    If a user can contribute to a thread, supply information, and help YOU build your user group then they DESERVE recognition.
    Being in this business for a longtime I often can contribute what experience has taught me.
    I DO ask for a link to my site.. THis IS a two way street .. You give and you get.

Reg
    URL removed by moderator.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Reg,

It is board rules which are not meant to be mean spirited at all but rather to keep up the quality of the posts here. Members who have been active on the board after a certain amount of time will gain the ability to link to their own homepage if they so desire. Putting a link with your own affiliate tracking in the link is never allowed however.

And well bottom line is that them be the rules in this neck of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by RegDCP
    THis IS a two way street .. You give and you get.
    Seven posts and most of them to pimp creloaded? Is that your definition of giving? Well that explains why you should have problems with our sig rule. You see, we get many a passers by here and some have nothing better to do than post a few links and go away, we aren't about that here, we have a WELL established community that has flourished for four years and, well we like to give and help one another not take and demand to take.

Reg
    URL removed by moderator.
    You don't have any sig rights yet, so yes the URL was removed by a moderator, it's that darn give and take thing again ...
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

If you call "Pimping" telling people about something that is free, has super features, and great support, ya then I guess I am "Pimping". I happen to like it as I have built 7 sites with it.

And what a cheap shot.
    I came on here and answered some user’s questions, and you crap on me for mentioning CRELoaded?

Seven posts and most of them to pimp creloaded? Is that your definition of giving? Well that explains why you should have problems with our sig rule.
    I posted in 5 threads,
    To answer fabrizio in “Affiliate Recruitment: what to choose?” as it might have been something he could use.
    The same applied to bigdaddysheikh in “How to get my feet wet?”

And to grnidone who asked “Need Suggestions for a Good Shopping Cart script”...

In “Organic Methods?” and “Am I dumb or what???” I made no mention of the software.

You see, we get many a passers by here and some have nothing better to do than post a few links and go away, we aren't about that here, we have a WELL established community that has flourished for four years and, well we like to give and help one another not take and demand to take.
    Good for you, as I see users with a high post count I guess some are not insulted by your attitude.

As for folks posting quick links and going away, you will always have those.
    If the posts have no merit, delete them, isn’t that what moderators are for anyway?

Seems strange to penalize others for the actions of some.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by RegDCP
    If you call "Pimping" telling people about something that is free, has super features, and great support, ya then I guess I am "Pimping".
    Ok, but then ...

And what a cheap shot.
    .. an observation is called a cheap shot? If I wanted to take a cheap shot, I could have mentioned something about your site. All I did was make an observation, but then you ...

and you crap on me for mentioning CRELoaded?
    ... why are you soooo defensive????

Seems strange to penalize others for the actions of some.
    Driving lanes are depicted on the highway to keep traffic flowing in an orderly manner, they create order where disorder would be if there were no constraints or guidelines.

Is that someone crapping on you or penalising you also? No, of course not, so when your on our highway, you follow our driving lanes and rules and you'll be fine.

==================
    This thread will be split as it has already become off topic.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 24th, 2005 at 10:22 PM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Reg, the URLs I edited out of your post in the other thread were:

1) the URL to the site you get 10k+ visitors/month. That site itself was totally irrelevant to the discussion (some type of photo software or something if I recall correctly). The link itself was not significant to the discussion. Hence it was a self-serving link. Here, that is considered spam and was edited out.
    2) the link in your sig. You do not have sig privileges yet and you manually added the sig. That it not allowed, therefore it was edited out.

I didn't do the edit on the post that begins this thread, but it looks like another edit of a manually added sig.

If the posts have no merit, delete them, isn’t that what moderators are for anyway?
    Sure is. I made the decision to just edit the part of your posts which did not conform with the TOS of this board instead of doing a complete post delete. Of course if you prefer I delete the whole post, I can do that too. My own personal experience over the years of moderating here is that the folks who yammer the most about having to wait to gain the privilege of posting their links are the ones who come here with the primary intent of sneaking in their links and not much more. Makes for good rules here.

8 posts doesn't earn you the sig priv here. No matter how valuable you may feel those posts were to the community. Abide by the rules of this community and all is fine.

I keep coming back to this forum and contributing because the moderators are very good at sticking to the rules. With over 20k registered users it is important to have rules. Here's hoping you stick around and contribute.

Ever heard the term "Sig Spam"?

ABW Ambassador
    Damn dude, grow up...

VVVV Sig removed by myself (some of us here are here to help and learn, not to spam)

Edited Post by RegDCP
    Moderator Note: Copying the part of the post by RegDCP from other thread which was response to posts in this thread. The board software doesn't allow to split just part of a thread of course. No content has been deleted.

=============================================

Thank you for the straightforward reply Kellie.

What you may or may not be considering is that, basically, all posts are self serving.
    That is the rational behind going out of our way to read and reply to people that need help.
    In the case of this forum, the "in group" are being served. To join, you must pay, or post an unspecified number of, (contributing), posts.

My own personal experience over the years of moderating here is that the folks who yammer the most about having to wait to gain the privilege of posting their links are the ones who come here with the primary intent of sneaking in their links and not much more. Makes for good rules here.

As a full time, internet based, business owner I have made a number of choices when it comes to allocating my resources. My time is finite, but it has been a policy from day one to find sites such as yours to learn from and to contribute in. (Not “yammer”).
    I feel that this is a win-win situation judging from the traffic my signature files generate and the users of the forums get the benefit of whatever knowledge I can pass on.
    However, as I stated my time is finite, and I will patronize venues that provide a return on the time I invest. To do otherwise would be illogical.

8 posts doesn't earn you the sig priv here. No matter how valuable you may feel those posts were to the community. Abide by the rules of this community and all is fine.

Well since you don’t publish your requirements, I did a bit of searching, looking for sig files and checking post stats.
    Other than one with 8 posts all were above [removed speculative post count required to gain sig privs].
    When I found the one with 8 posts I did a search for her sig link in your announcements forum and came up with 0 results. I would have expected an announcement if the user had paid.

.. I made the decision to just edit the part of your posts which did not conform with the TOS of this board instead of doing a complete post delete. Of course if you prefer I delete the whole post, I can do that too.
    <grin> Yup. You could, and I have been on sites where it has happened too. I don’t patronize their sites or products anymore. Neither do my clients.
    My hat is off to your for just discussing this as it appears to go contrary to “policy”.

.. an observation is called a cheap shot? If I wanted to take a cheap shot, I could have mentioned something about your site. All I did was make an observation, but then you ...

An observation Haiko?
    You called me a PIMP.
    And if I am a pimp, sir, you are a whore. Or at least the site is. The first post to fabrizio was to promote your paid processes.
    And now you further compound your rudeness with an implied slight on my dotcom-productions.com website.
    Blow it out your a** Haiko.
    The design may not be to your liking, and you are entitled to your opinions, but you have NO KNOWLEDGE about how my site performs, the revenue it generates, or the clients it serves.

Beware of glass houses.

Driving lanes are depicted on the highway to keep traffic flowing in an orderly manner, they create order where disorder would be if there were no constraints or guidelines.

Is that someone crapping on you or penalizing you also? No, of course not, so when your on our highway, you follow our driving lanes and rules and you'll be fine. ...

Your “driving lanes” and rules seem to be to line your pockets, rather than serve your users. In the real world, the speed limits are posted. Here they are vague, unspecified limits.

Have you ever driven on a major urban artery at rush hour?
    Even though there are restraints (Speed limits and traffic lanes), you will rarely find anyone around to enforce them at rush hour. The enforcement authorities know that to try to do so would just cause interruptions. Sometimes too much regulation is worse than none.

Look at the comparison between the OSCommerce and CRELoaded websites.
    OSC forums do not permit advertising or even asking for commercial help. CRELoaded allows contributors to advertise their services and provides forums for developers.
    Given that the systems are both built on the same principals, CRE being a fork, if you will, of OSC, which site do you think draws the most talent?

Which site do you think gives the best support?
    The one that caters to its users, not to itself, if you cannot figure it out.

Reg,

I think you are a bit confused on something. I don't own ABW. I'm just a member who volunteers their time as a Moderator. Green names = Moderator. The person who you told to blow it out their ass is the owner. Red names = Administrator.

You responded to a post of mine in this thread in the other thread why? I replied to in this split thread after Haiko did the split to keep the other thread on topic for what fabrizio was asking. Yet you presisted there instead of this thread. You were given the opportunity to continue to voice your opinion with regards to board policy, yet you couldn't do something as simple as doing it in the correct location respecting a very simple moderation action.

Then you go and post the number of posts you deducted by *research* that is required to gain sig privs. In doing that research, you were bound to have come across the multitude of posts by Haiko and Mods stating that posting such numbers are a violation here. Indeed you even say yourself that we don't disclose that number. And yet you go ahead and post your theorized number why???

I'm now on my second cup of coffee so I'm pretty much awake now. I'm counting about 5 Moderator actions with regards to your posts (3 post edits and 2 splits) while you have a total post count of 9. Sooooo.........

Any further board violations will result in either a ban warning or a ban. Express yourself, but do it within the few rules we have here.

I think this has gone on long enough. From the Forum Rules:

Board Moderation
    Board moderators' decisions (including, but not limited to: editing, moving, deleting of single posts or entire threads) are final. You will accept this. Also, you will not re-edit a message that has already been edited by a moderator or the administrator out of defiance of the original edit. Starting discussing such a decision on the board, will get you either a ban-warning or banned (in our sole discretion). If you feel that you have be treated wrongly, please contact us via this form and we will look into it and review the situation and any/all circumstances. During the review period we may disable your access to the board and/or close the appropriate thread. Any creation of new aliases on the board by an offender / suspended or banned will immediately result in full denial of review and a full IP ban.
    I think the other moderators have been more than generous in letting this conversation continue as long as it has, but it's time to come to an end.

To come to any forum, continually disregard the rules, argue about the rules, and insult the moderators and owner shows very poor judgment. Any further such action will result in a ban.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread