ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up SAS > BDS > Top Guy
    Our top performing affiliate at SAS has reached 100 orders for this month and will receive a bonus direct from Big Daddy. Over the past 2 years our average order has consistently been over $100.

Adam Ward
    Lifetime Accounts - Residual Income
    Check out our program today!

Thumbs up Congratulations!
    WOW! Congratulations then!!!

Now, Adam, when you say "our top performing affiliate", does that mean yourself or are you a merchant whose affiliate got so successful?

Geno
    Last edited by Geno Prussakov; July 25th, 2005 at 06:54 AM. Reason: addition to post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Our top performing affiliate at SAS has reached 100 orders for this month
    Someone from ABW?

ABW Ambassador
    Not an ABW member.

The guy has 20,000 uniques per day and the demographic is a perfect fit.

I envy you, Adam. I do...

20,000 uniques per day and only 100 orders per month? I sure hope this isn't the only thing he promotes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Nothing like an addictive product. Maybe I should genetically engineer some nicotine into the flower bulbs

Over the past 2 years our average order has consistently been over $100.
    100 orders/month at those rates = $10,000. Nice...but very risky if that's his only revenue source!

20,000 uniques per day and only 100 orders per month?
    Unless he's promoting other things, those figures almost certainly indicate a content site. Precisely why I always argue against that stuff. $10k/month is nice money, but 20k uniques/day would = at least 200 sales/DAY (at a conservative 1% CR) on a pure sales site.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Cool
    he just might have another site, or two . . .

ABW Ambassador
    >those figures almost certainly indicate a content site.

YES you are correct.

I'm also in favor of product / service focused domains BUT what can I do, the guy just signed up and I'll take those orders.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Unless he's promoting other things, those figures almost certainly indicate a content site. Precisely why I always argue against that stuff. $10k/month is nice money, but 20k uniques/day would = at least 200 sales/DAY (at a conservative 1% CR) on a pure sales site.
    So you're arguing against the method that is producing the most sales, probably has no advertising costs and very few expenses, and isn't dependant upon the whims of the search engines? It's hard to argue with results like that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First, I grossly miscalculated when I said $10k/month. That'd be $10k/mo in SALES! BDS, as I recall, pays a 3% commission.

So, that's really (*gets out calculator to be absolutely sure this time*) $300!

LOL

What better argument against it can there be, than 100 sales/month off of 20k uniques/day!?! He's probably in the hole! And he sure the heck ain't quitting his day job on $300 a month.

Now turn on your math sectors that I know you have, and imagine you had 20k uniques/day to a revenue site. 1% CR = 200 sales/day. Say you "only" make $10/sale. $200*10 = $2k/day. $2k*30 days = $60k.

So, with the same traffic to a revenue site, that'd be $60,000/month. COMMISSIONS. With differences like that, promoting content sites as anything more than a hobby is ridiculous.

So you're arguing against the method that is producing the most sales, probably has no advertising costs and very few expenses, and isn't dependant upon the whims of the search engines? It's hard to argue with results like that.
    Not once the math is done, it's not hard to argue with it.

$300/mo for content. When a revenue site with the same traffic would have made $60k! You're right, it is "hard to argue with results like that!" Content will lose the argument every time!

BTW, for those who think $10 commission/sale is an exaggeration--if you plugged in "$3 commission/sale" instead of "$10 commission/sale" that'd still be $18,000/month for the revenue site with the same traffic.
    Last edited by Leader; July 25th, 2005 at 12:21 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

well done that affiliate
    Adam. what did you say his\her email address was??? joke.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

First, I grossly miscalculated when I said $10k/month. That'd be $10k/mo in SALES! BDS, as I recall, pays a 3% commission.

So, that's really (*gets out calculator to be absolutely sure this time*) $300!
    Yikes. And that's their best affiliate? That's not much to brag about.

Now turn on your math sectors that I know you have, and imagine you had 20k uniques/day to a revenue site.
    And that's the problem. You have to imagine to get 20k uniques/day to most spammy datafeed sites. Content sites can often generate far more than 20k uniques per day.

What you're not seeing is that it's possible to have the traffic of a content site with the conversion of a merchant or product oriented site. When you build a site that is truly valuable to vistors/customers and is also closely tied to specific products, categories, or merchants, it gets organic traffic (not just SE, but from links and word of mouth too) closer to what a content site sees and conversions/profit per visitor closer to what a datafeed site might get.

Pure content sites have the traffic and struggle to monetize it.

Pure affiliate sites can monetize well, but stuggle to get the traffic. They live and die on SEO and/or PPC. I don't consider either to be a dependable long-term business model.

The smart affiliate will build something in between that leverages the best of both worlds.

[If you want to continue this discussion, let's split it off. I don't want to sidetrack Adam's thread.]
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

$300/mo for content. When a revenue site with the same traffic would have made $60k! You're right, it is "hard to argue with results like that!" Content will lose the argument every time!
    Sure, the more sales related traffic you have, the more you'll earn, but it's not easy to get sales related traffic. This traffic comes at a premium. Content traffic is much cheaper to get and sustain. I think it comes down to how much money you're willing to spend on advertising. The more you spend, the more sales traffic you'll get. Of course you have to be skilled enough to buy the right traffic.

Anyway, I doubt this $300/mo is any indication of what this particular affiliate is earning overall.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

You'd think that with 20K uniques you'd make way more than $300 month with Adsense and the $300 from BDS would just be parking money.

I wouldn't be surprised if BDS is just one of many ads on the site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Sounds to me like the 20K uniques is visitors to his site, not clickthroughs to a merchant.

Let's say you have a solid 10% clickthrough to merchants through links on the site. If 10% of those are to BDS, that's 20 clicks a day/600 clicks a month.

100 orders on 600 clicks? I haven't got an argument against that kind of action.

FWIW BDS converts at about 1 order per 4 clicks for me. Problem is I only send them about 2 clicks a day. (the SE's don't like my cig sites)

Ooops...my math was all barfed up.

But still, 100 monthly orders for one merchant through a banner on a site with 20k views a day? I still got no argument against that.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread