What is an Indie program? How does it work?
    Mackin talked about an Indie program on another site, and I don't know what it is.

What is an Indie program?
    How does it work?
    How does it differ from affiliate programs?
    What does "Indie" stand for?

Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    Inhouse or Independent program. Means the merchant runs their own program like Amazon.com, emerchandise.com, allposters.com etc.

So...Mackin mentioned this is going to be the next big thing for affiliate programs.

Is this really a radical change in the affiliate business? Or is it that more businesses are finding that affiliate marketing is a way to go?

ABW Ambassador
    Indy programs have been around since the beginning, networks came later. They'll both be around in the future and merchants can have both an indy program and have their program in the networks too. So i don't think there will really be too much different. You might see some merchants offering up more options in partnering with them so you might see more opening up indy programs as an option or as the only program.

Quote Originally Posted by grnidone
    Is this really a radical change in the affiliate business? Or is it that more businesses are finding that affiliate marketing is a way to go?
    An indie wouldn't change anything in the affiliate business. Just the way a particular merchant handles tracking, reporting and paying. You do save some on doing all of this in-house. However, as far as I know, prevalent number of merchants running affiliate programs use affiliate networks (like CJ, ShareaSale, LinkShare, etc) to run their affiliate programs...

Geno

Independent Program and higher commission or Third Party program? What's best
    Here's a question for affiliates about Independent versus Third-Party programs.

Most third-parties seem to charge about 20 percent of the payout. As a result, if we decide to go with a third party program, we could offer a 20 percent commission (our total payout being about 24 percent). If we ran an independent program we could pay out 24 percent (let's round it up to 25 percent). (We're a jewelry manufacturer with nice margins.)

I suspect that a 25 percent payout would get some affiliates interested but I keep reading that some affiliates don't trust independent program. (We're honest folk, but then you have no way of knowing that, do you?)

So my question is, would you prefer a 20 percent commission (mediated by a third party) or a 25 percent commission?

The program would probably be handled by Volusion's ecommerce platform (unless you know something about that cart solution that I have not yet heard!).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGuy
    So my question is, would you prefer a 20 percent commission (mediated by a third party) or a 25 percent commission?
    Good question SilverGuy. These days affiliates don't really want these so called 'trusted' third parties to mediate (except if this third party is someone like SAS). You'll find tons of threads around here that validate this point. Going indie is all wonderful but its quite a task. So if you think you have it in you, going indie would be a good thing.

Hope this helps.

cheers!
    -nishith

Volusion's affiliate management solution
    Thanks, Nish.

Another question. Volusion, which is arguably one of the top cart software companies, has an integrated affiliate marketing system that can even handle a 5-tier system. Any merchants out there using this set up for their affiliate marketing program?

Lightbulb speaking as an affiliate:
    pushing five tiers smells like MLM. I think most of us are satisfied with a second tier being available. we'd rather see the money to us instead of splitting down the long line.

in your travels, please look at some of the tools that can be made available. the PSC and dPSC from Akiva at affsolutions.com and the GoldenCAN solution. I don't know what the licensing costs are (in GoldenCAN you can sponsor it so we don't lose the 4th click) but these costs have to be figured in to the mix when you set the commission rate.

the beauty of these is that, depending on what flavor you go with, we can put some code up and automatically show a patch of your stuff or a whole page that changes as you refresh your datafeed. no disgruntled customers if it is dynamic. that which is out of stock just disappears from the page.

and those who use datafeeds regularly will appreciate one being available.

Tiers
    If I were an affiliate, I wouldn't want any secondary tiers. We're thinking of a commission in the 20-25 percent range to the one affiliate who brought us that customer. I like simplicity. I just mentioned that Volusion's solution has an option for up to 5 tiers to indicate its flexibility.

Hi,
    Re Volusion having 5-tiers. That's not an indication of their flexibility. There are several other affiliate software packages that support less than 5 tiers but are very flexible in other areas e.g. how they payout, reporting, integration to other systems, rich tracking technology etc. There are over 200 features in affiliate software systems.

If your focus is on an affiliate system and you already have an ecommerce site/cart then most of the dedicated and hosted packages out there will support your cart whatever it is.

I'll see if I can get them up on my site but it might take a while as we are backlogged with reviewing some other affiliate management systems. In the meantime feel free to check some others.

Cheers,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Neat stuff Herb. I'm a newbie who does not even have a site or much exsperience. But I will have a site up this comming week. But that is some cool stuff on the the site you referred to. dpsc

The Google-hatesme! Guy
    2006 Winner Lazarus award
    PM Me....
    Some unscrupulous merchants might see this as a plus -- but Volusion does not provide any way to affiliate-track PayPal orders. Every merchant using Volusion is unknowingly ripping off affiliates because Volusion engineers couldn't figure out PayPal IPN.

As an affiliate, if you use Volusion, I would expect an even higher commission to compensate for such built-in affiliate-circumvention. And then there is the issue of phone orders...

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread