Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Christmas times-a-comin'
    I read another post about holiday sales. It got me to thinking about what I need to do to my sites to get them ready for the holidays. I suddenly went "brain dead"!

How many of you have started thinking about getting ready for the holidays? Do you put a bit of holiday deco on your site? Do you leave it alone and just put holiday links?

I was thinking about hanging mistletoe in the top center of my front page, but decided that would be tacky. I might change my background color to red, but mostly I'm totally devoid of ideas. What the heck, I think I will hang the mistletoe. Iíll probably add some storefronts, and fit in as many extra links as I can without making the sites look trashy.

I'm still in shock from losing hundreds of pages on a server crash a few days ago. I had just thought that it's time for me to do a backup. I didn't do it, and a hour later everything was gone! Yeah, I know I should keep backups current, but Iíve been lazy and havenít done a back up for a long time. Lesson learned!

I'm not asking for any secret strategies, but a few general ideas might help get my brain functioning again. So. who is doing what for the holidays this year?

http and a telephoto
    How many of you have started thinking about getting ready for the holidays?
    I spent most of May loading holiday products and Christmas cards are already selling....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Have already started, 2 holiday items just sold yesterday and I've been seeing a trickle of searches for holiday type things. Right now I'm starting to go through those pages, reviewing merchants and products.

An idea might be to have a section on your site devoted to something like christmas gift ideas etc. something that doesn't just show the holidays but actually helps someone get ideas to buy!

I know I can't believe how fast the year has flown by and that Christmas is already approaching, lots of work to do!

There seem to be a fair-sized group of early-bird shoppers out there, I'm slowly starting to see winter clothing selling again too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    There seem to be a fair-sized group of early-bird shoppers out there, I'm slowly starting to see winter clothing selling again too.
    winter clothes? Seems people really plan well in advance.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nish
    winter clothes? Seems people really plan well in advance.
    Go to a brick and mortar mall and tell me what you see.... It ain't summer there anymore....
    Deborah Carney

Talking
    I'm one of those people who never buys in season. I usually have my Christmas shopping finished by the 4th of July.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    I'm one of those people who never buys in season. I usually have my Christmas shopping finished by the 4th of July.
    Wish I was as wise as you are.

And loxly, I stand corrected. Atleast inside the malls, its summer no more.

-nishith

http and a telephoto
    I worked in retail for years, we need to think like they do online too.

My daughter and son-in-law work in retail now. They are in back to school mode to be immediately followed by holiday mode. Christmas merchandise will be arriving their stores in the next couple of weeks....

Scary, but true.
    Deborah Carney

nishith - I started doing my shopping early when my kids were young. One year I noticed that the prices on the toys jumped higher around the end of October. I decided right then that I would do all my Christmas shopping before the prices jumped. The only exception is the after Christmas sales, that's when I buy new wrapping paper, ornaments, etc. for the next year. It works for me...
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Remember folks, not everybody celebrates "Christmas". I celebrate Yule. I am trying to get pages up for any and every type of holiday I can think of, for example, Hanukkah, yule, christmas etc. Lets not ignor that money.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftseye
    Remember folks, not everybody celebrates "Christmas". I celebrate Yule...
    Whatever it is what you celebrate - winter is a great time as it is (I guess, I love it, because I was born in the end of January); and it is a great time to sell Russian fur hats with ear flaps!

Good luck!

Geno

nishith - I started doing my shopping early when my kids were young. One year I noticed that the prices on the toys jumped higher around the end of October. I decided right then that I would do all my Christmas shopping before the prices jumped.
    Smart shopper you are. Now the big challenge would be to hide the toys from the kids

cheers!
    -nishith

Affiliate Manager
    We are already getting holiday merchandise in. These Santa slippers are my favorite so far. We are already getting our warehouse organized for the holidays.

All of this is going on while the thermometer across the street from my office says it is 121 degrees today. It does seem a little bizarre.

Melissa C. Murphy
    www.crazyforbargains.com -- Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    12% Commission | 365 Day Cookie | Data Feed | Coupon Codes | Parasite Free
    Join Today

That about the time when some of my Christmas pages begin to see some serious traffic. I've seen some good sales coming in for several weeks now, mostly holiday decorations and outdoor lighting. Some folks in the colder climates try to get their house decorated before it gets cold and nasty outside.
    ~Ernie

Anybody old enough to remember the days when you never saw Christmas in the stores until the day after Thanksgiving? Santa in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade was the kick-off for the holidays. It starts earlier and earlier each year.

I worked in retail too, before switching to AM. When I left two years ago, if you didn't buy most of your holiday decorations before Thanksgiving, your chances of getting some items were just about nil. Then those of us at the store would have to answer phone call/in person requests ad nauseum, "No, we did not have the icicle lights to decorate your house with."

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread