Question Datafeeds vs Web Services
    Just wondering... Why do most merchants offer Datafeeds rather than Web Services (Amazon, All Posters, eBay, etc offer web services)?

Is it the upfront / bandwidth costs? Or just more efficient for them to consolidate to a datafeed? Think more will offer web services in the future?

I think datafeeds are much easier to implement, both on the merchant and affiliate side. I'm sure that's the main reason.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think they both have their place.

For me, datafeeds are more efficient to work with if I want to import a whole catalog worth of data from a merchant and serve that up.

For those merchants that offer a web service, that's handy if I want to throw up a nice dynamic product box since it's only one line of code in my content management system to set that up.

With some merchants, the web service is as up to date as the merchant's own web site but their datafeed lags by a day (or more).
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

What Michael said.

Plus, datafeeds serve the least common denominator, which is necessary when dealing with masses.

Anyone who can use webservices can use datafeeds. Not true the other way around.

But, not anyone who uses webservices is WILLING to use datafeeds. I think there's a market of developers out there that only webservices will reach.

sjangro, I agree..

I agree with Michael as well here. It's much easier to deal with all the data at once. Webservices can get complicated really quick. Especially when you want to combine a webservice with a normal datafeed.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

One nice thing about webservices is that the data is updated in real time.

Spider Ninja - "One nice thing about webservices is that the data is updated in real time."Very True...

BUT - you actually do not have total 100% control of the SEO.. or whether the site is running or not.. if something goes wrong YOU cannot fix it yourself..

I had rather update my own pages
    than depend on a webservices site..

It's my business.. I want control over what happens to it...

---------
    Another factor in the equation is the fact that IF the webservices shuts down in the future.. you cannot rebuild that DYNAMIC webserviced site.. YOU lose all your pages in the SE's... no matter how popular it is.. it is just GONE..

Can someone show me some examples of Web Services ?

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    BUT - you actually do not have total 100% control of the SEO.. or whether the site is running or not.. if something goes wrong YOU cannot fix it yourself..

I had rather update my own pages
    than depend on a webservices site..
    Exactly !

Fred

Hey AddHandler, very good point! Amazon can be junky...they say there are 20 pages of reader comments and your script generates pages with a menu for 20 pages and then Amazon only returns 4 pages!

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan
    Can someone show me some examples of Web Services ?
    Hey, here's a demo of an Amazon web services script:

http://www.u7y.com/DVD/Genres/

I just threw it up on a friends server, so it might be a bit buggy ;-)

Basically it is a database driven website...you get XML from Amazon and parse it meaning Amazon provides the data and you fit the data into the templates, make menus, etc.

The beauty of it is once you have the system down, you can swap out "DVDs" in the example above for Books, Electronics, Music, etc ;-)
    Last edited by Spider Ninja; October 25th, 2005 at 10:08 PM.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread