ABW Ambassador
    Any other cyclists here?
    I ride a Cannondale that I've had for 13 years.

It's an old road bike. So old it had Biopace chainrings on the crank and only 6 cogs in the back. I gave it round chainrings and left the 6 cogs in back, they still have all their teeth, miraculously.

I try to ride three times a week.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My Trek road bike is almost 10 years old - still hammer it. Go for 20-25 mile rides about once a week. Usually solo... clears the mind. And here in Florida, it clears the pores as well...

Got a Schwinn road bike that's like 16 years old. Good enough for me. Just put clipless pedals on it. What a difference.

I run mostly because it feels like I'm getting a better workout (which I'm not, I know). I do like to ride too to mix it up a bit.

Problem with riding is that for an hour workout, that's a lot of miles.
    I'll get lost in the woods here!

Got a 5-yr old mountain bike, not sure of the brand. Just started using it this summer. I agree, great form of exercise. I try to ride 2 to 3x per week. Because i'm moving from Minnesota to Arizona i'm hoping to be able to maintain the above biking schedule.

ABW Ambassador
    Question
    My 8-year-old continuously told me that she would like to ride her bicycle, but riding locally I feel is a little dangerous because of the narrow roads and I am not sure about letting her out on her own to travel large distances. So I decided to buy a bike (my first ever) and cycle with her on planned, safe traffic free route.

On the first day we cycled for about two hours and the second day for about 2 ½ ~ 3 hours. Nothing strenuous, the steepest part was cycling over a bridge across the motorway and my new 18-gear bike seemed to cope with the “hill” quite nicely and the free wheel down the other side was a great wheeeeee feeling.

On day one I found that the “seat area” got a little uncomfortable and my legs felt a little “jelly like”. The second day the uncomfortable “seat area” expanded and I also found that my legs had got so “jelly like” that climbing the stairs in the evening required extra arm help.

My daughter loved the experience and would like to go more often, but I find that I am starting to have doubts about the experience and have a few questions.

1. Is the increase in “seat area” stress, an exponential problem or will this eventually wear off?
    2. How come SHE doesn’t get the “seat area” problem and laughs uncontrollably every time I rub mine?
    3. Does the “jelly leg” feeling turn to a “water leg” feeling or will I eventually be able to stand without the necessity holding the bike for 5 minutes at the end of the ride, or ever be able to climb the stairs without an aid?
    4. Will the “seat area” problem and the “jelly leg” issue ever meet in the middle, and if they do what happens?
    5. Will I ever get to use gear #1 or gear #18?
    6. Will my daughter ever stop continuously talking while we are cycling?
    7. Will I ever need to stop buying accessories for the bike?

Reassuring me about the above points would really help. Point #6 is especially important for my sanity and point #7 for my bank balance.

Thank you.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Will my daughter ever stop continuously talking while we are cycling?
    Maybe when she's 60

All that talking is a sign of good cardiovascular health, provided you're going at a decent speed. You're supposed to be able to talk while exercising...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    I ride a Cannondale that I've had for 13 years. ... I try to ride three times a week.
    I love cycling. Tho' I am a swimmer. I swim at least 3 times a week...

Geno

Wayder, I must apologize for laughing loudly at your expense. I also have an eight year old daughter, so I fully appreciate where you're coming from on her going alone.

>> 1. Is the increase in “seat area” stress, an exponential problem or will this eventually wear off?

It should get better. Your seat area will get used to the stress. If it doesn't, look into getting a different seat. (either yours or the bicycle's, your choice.)

>> 2. How come SHE doesn’t get the “seat area” problem and laughs uncontrollably every time I rub mine?

Because she's 8, on both accounts. (I think it probably has a lot to do with the relative size of 'your seat' to 'the seat'.

>> 3. Does the “jelly leg” feeling turn to a “water leg” feeling or will I eventually be able to stand without the necessity holding the bike for 5 minutes at the end of the ride, or ever be able to climb the stairs without an aid?

Also should get better. You may actually become physically fit through this experience!

>> 4. Will the “seat area” problem and the “jelly leg” issue ever meet in the middle, and if they do what happens?

Thankfully, I cannot answer this.

>> 5. Will I ever get to use gear #1 or gear #18?

You'll probably find that you only need two of the gears. Nobody ever really needs more than two. They put 18 of them on there because they don't know which two you will want.

>> 6. Will my daughter ever stop continuously talking while we are cycling?

If it's a problem, then no, probably not.

>> 7. Will I ever need to stop buying accessories for the bike?

Probably not, especially if you have to keep trying new seats.

ABW Ambassador
    Seat area: you can adjust the seat fore and aft and lift the nose up and down. Make sure the seat is level and at a height that will let your legs extend about 90%.

Try moving it forward so you're sitting on the back (large area) of the seat. If that doesn't work, try lowering your handlebar a 1/4 inch or so, so more weight is on your hands, relieving stress on your seat area. Also consider a pair of $25 cycling shorts with padding. If none of that works, consider a new seat.

My own experience: a seat that's too wide will push you forward on to the narrow area, negating the benefits of a wider seat. My old Trek mountain bike had a massive seat.

Jelly legs: increase your cadence (pedal faster). Try for at least 60rpm. If your right leg takes more than one second to make a revolution, pedal in an easier gear and maintain the same speed. The entire Tour de France peloton pedals at roughly 100-120rpm, except for mountain climbs and time trials.

But then you are riding for 2-3 hours at a time with little experience ...

Gears: I use almost all of my gears (two cause a bad "chain line" and will wear out the drivetrain, so I avoid those). If you think freewheeling down the hills is fun, try pedaling down them while increasing your gear to maintain cadence as you build speed and then reduce the gear as you climb the next hill. I regularly hit 30+mph on rural SE Nebraska hills. Imagine if I lived in Denver.

Daughter: She's eight and having the time of her life.

ABW Ambassador
    Wayder (assuming you are male) You probably need to buy a new seat. Traditional bicycle seats have men put their full weight on parts of their body that are best not sat upon. A good bicycle seat is split in the middle. Adding a seat cover will not solve the problem. You might also think about getting padded bicycle shorts.

The numbing sensation you described is common. It is due to a poor seat design. A bad seat can actual separate nerves. This is the main reason why cyclists wear funning looking shorts.

ABW Ambassador
    I went to the bike shop and had a chat with them.

They had a look and raised and moved back the handlebars. They said that reaching for the handlebars was giving me an incorrect seating position and the seat position itself is fine. My cycling position is much more comfortable now.

I also lowered the gear that I was using and pedal a little faster to get the same speed. I found that I am not using so much pressure to pedal now and the jelly legs are not as bad as they used to be. I'm not sure if its because I'm getting used to having jelly legs or if the position change made a difference. The concept of doing things faster to get the same result is a little alien though, and I keep wondering if I could write an automated script to do the job

I spent quite a long time in the shop chatting with them about routes, and about the bits and pieces needed for a day’s trip. They gave me a pile of free stuff including a carrier for the back of the bike to put all the necessary stuff like Barbie dolls and hair clips n' stuff. They must want me to come back again.

I did think about getting a pair of cycling shorts but an experience in a Shakespearean school play left me scarred for life I also don’t think that the Aerodynamic enhancement will give me much of an advantage when riding behind my daughter.

I did try gear 1 & 18. FYI in gear 1 I couldn’t keep up with my daughter and nearly passed out with the exertion. In gear 18 my legs nearly dropped off trying to cycle slowly. I figure these gears won’t be much use to me until she grows up.

>You may actually become physically fit through this experience!
    I do find that I am breathing a lot quicker when I am riding the bike and I do get a tingly feeling after having cycled. Some have commented that its a pant, gasp or wheeze but I prefer to think about it as just heavy breathing which may get me arrested despite me not wearing the shorts. It has also been suggested that the tingling sensation may be caused by watching too much fimbles (TV program where they get a tingly sensation), but I like to think that it’s the exhilaration of the ride.

I mountain Bike a couple of times a month.. in summer.
    I have packs for my bike and all the lite weight gear.. I usually go alone for a couple of days.. just me and my dog.. I have a place by a hidden lake in the mountains I go. There is a forest ranger cabin there.. it's about a 25 mile rough ride in and takes a full day to get to. It's worth it though because the glacier view at the lake is really nice.. but I have had to go inside the cabin with the dog several times because of curious wolves coming round at night.. I have seen plenty of black bear but never any browns.. but it's nice and quiet and clears the mind.. makes you enjoy a good shower, a stove you don't have to light and an indoor bathroom.. LOL

We have lots of BIKE TRAILS up here in town that are paved and lead to every area of the city.. but it's just not the same as being alone in the wilderness. I ride on the bike trails with friends but prefer to do the off trail stuff..

Wayder - those gears are there for you to change.. 18 is for DOWNHILL while 1 is for UPHILL.. and depending on your fitness 4, 5, 6 are for just tooling around..

and yes -- "A good bicycle seat is split in the middle. " that will take the pressure off those unmentionable parts... and leave you capable of having even MORE children lol..

The jelly legs will go away and the padded bike shorts help. They also make jelly filled seat covers that fit over your current bike seat. Nothing wrong with a little extra padding!

ABW Ambassador
    >Nothing wrong with a little extra padding!
    My wife would strongly disagree with THAT statement

I found out that the seat is jelly filled anyway. As I don’t agree with the "no pain, no gain" theorists I decided to shorten the routes and stop at every play area that I could find on the way.

It saves (my) excessive wear and tear, it tires the kids out quicker and its making for more pleasant trips

Its coming along quite nicely now.

I mountain bike (Giant brand bike from Performance Bike) with my son once or twice a week. Great for the legs.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I love bikes and biking. I currently ride a GT mountain bike (got it just before they shut down), but I've been known to ride my Schwinn Stingray Pixie (sized for a 5 year old) around at public events with a homemade "Bikes Are Better" flag sticking off the back... :P
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    I used to be really into mountain biking along the American River bike and horse trails, then up in Chico and the Upper and Lower Bidwell Park single tracks & even took a trip up to Northstar one summer to bike down the mountain a few times after taking the chair lifts up... I was doing 25-30 miles a day for quite a while...
    I've had two Specialized Rockhopper A1-FSs, but both got stolen... After taking 4 or 5 years to get around to getting another bike, I recently got a used older Rockhoppper just to get back into it... After cleaning it up, I fell victim to Chain Suck, went down on one knee, turning it into hamburger... It's finally all better & I'm thinking about going out tomorrow morning before it hits triple digit temps...
    I did get dragged to the gym yesterday and played on the Internet cycles, which didn't do much for me... I need to be moving and feel the wind on my face
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I guess you could say I've got a hybrid since I use it on the street and in the dirt.. I swore to myself that I was going to put more miles on it this year and so far I have..

The bad part is I'm not getting the exercise I thought I would from riding it so much.. Maybe I should try one with pedals ??

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I was mad for bicycling when I was a kid/teenager. I even went on one of those American Youth Hostel tours. We live in the foothills of a mountain range now so cycling around here isn't exactly leisurely. I haven't used my bike since we moved here.

Ladies! Listen up! If you want great knees cycling is the way to get them!

ABW Ambassador
    I went for a ride last night. I decided that I was going to keep a 90-120rpm cadence no matter what. That means shifting, and lots of it.

I normally sprint to 25mph and then coast to the next street. (in-town bike trail with lots of intersections and "blind" drivers.)

Sprinting and coasting is easier than maintaining a constant speed. But then I might be able to sprint far greater distances in the future.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread