Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Test purchase still MIA
    I made a test buy from one of my links. It hasn't shown up on my report so I ask CJ where it is. I won't post all the full replies, but here's the jest of it...

1. I ask about the click/buy
    2. They ask for a link to the page with the link
    3. I sent addy to the page.
    4. They couldn't find the link (it's the ONLY link on the page)
    5. I sent email with page link again with details on the location of the link.

Now I get this!

"Client Services does not have the authority to make a manual commission, the request must be made to the advertiser."

Here is a draft of the email I plan to send back to them: (any suggestions for improvements?)

I have a larger concern than only this commission. I made a test purchase thru one of my links and it was not credited to my account at CJ. Now I am wondering if other purchases are not being credited to my account also.

I want to know who got the credit for the purchase. I've read about "parasite affiliates" who use programs to steal commissions from honest affliates. I'm wondering if this happened to this click. Does your system have any record of that click? There is a reason it didn't get posted to my account. I want to find that reason.

Lectrickitty
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Lectrickitty-

In response to your question regarding if there is any changes you should make to your response, I would first just work the issue with CJ to determine where this transaction is and isolate the problem. If they 'fix' the issue, at that point, I would press to gather the details as to why and then make sure the advertiser is involved. If the advertiser nor CJ will provide the specific details as to why the issue occurred, then consider boycotting the advertiser until it is disclosed and you are sure it won't happen again (or until you are satisified).

Personally, I don't think you gain anything by coming right out with all the guns blazing about parasites first. Make sure they can fix the problem and worry about it all in the aftermath and punish the advertiser. You don't want to make them defensive to start, especially when you still need them to work the problem.

-Keith

Hi Lectrickitty,

Sometimes I get the feeling that customer service people just try to get rid of problems that might become a big deal for them. The fact that the transaction didn't get credited to you is apparently lost on the person helping you. Errr...not helping you...

It seems to me they only think you want the commission, which you no doubt do, but you also want to know WHAT HAPPENED. And I think it's important in order for them to remain a viable partner that they be able to track that and tell you what happened. If they can't, they aren't really worth much are they?

I'd tell them you'll take this up with the merchant as well, and get them to do a manual credit if it becomes necessary, but that you expect them to determine WHAT HAPPENED that prevented the transaction from going through as expected. Things like this do make you wonder how many others go missing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Andy

We've been keeping the mailbox smoking all day. Here's a bit of what's happened.

CJ basicly told me to contact the merchant as this is a problem on the merchant side (or a problem with the users computer.) They gave me a list of criteria to provide to the merchant. So I sent merchant an email of the criteria and included the links followed during the transaction and a copy of the receipt proving the purchase.

I also called the merchant and discussed this with them. They said that CJ handles everything about their affiliate program and they don't know anything about how the program works. They advised me to contact CJ to get it figured out. (I'm starting to feel like a yoyo about now!) To their credit, they were very interested in the problem and took lots of details, told me they will investigate it and see what they can find out. They also said they will visit ABW to learn more about affiliate programs. (we touched lightly on the parasite problem, but just enough to get their interest so hopefullly they'll dig for more info)

Next email from CJ -

We track by using cookies placed on the user's computer, if the cookies are removed or unable to be set on the computer, the tracking falls through. (Did they miss the part where I told them that this was a test buy on MY computer? Do they think I dumped the cookie real fast so I wouldn't get paid?) We cannot control what a user does with his or her computer, and this is why the option for manual commissions exists. The advertiser also needs to integrate with our tracking system to report sales back to us, and traffic moving within their own system is again beyond our sphere of control.

Advertisers are aware of these situations and are prepared to give their publishers manual commissions when they provide verification that the sales or leads took place through the affiliate links. Will someone please explain to me how we are suppose to know about these sales or leads if the cookie doesn't get recorded in our account?

My next email I sent to CJ:

"if the cookies are removed or unable to be set on the computer, the tracking falls through. We cannot control what a user does with his or her computer"

We are talking about a test buy that I did on my computer. The cookie was set. I followed the path of the cookie. Everything appeared to be fine except the click did not get credited to my account.

I communicated with xxxxx both by email and phone. They say they have no control over the process, that it is all handled at CJ. but they are concerned about the missing cookie and they are checking into it.

The purpose of the test was to find out if my cookies/clicks/sales are being credited to my account and this test shows that this cookie did not arrive at it's proper destination.

Advertisers are aware of these situations and are prepared to give their publishers manual commissions when they provide verification that the sales or leads took place through the affiliate links.

That system may work for test buys such as this one, but please explain to me how I can prove sales that I'm unaware of because I didn't know the visitor who clicked thru from my site? What kind of steps can I take to assure that my cookies dont get lost again?

Do you have a phone number that I can call to discuss this problem? Dreaming I guess, I don't know what made me add that at the last minute.

I guess what it all comes down to is they think I'm a mushroom, cause they are working hard at keeping me in the dark and feeding me
    Last edited by Lectrickitty; July 27th, 2005 at 09:18 PM.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

ABW Ambassador
    perhaps Michael Coley's visitors use a different kind of computer than what others use.

got any ideas, Todd?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like an inhouse CJ affiliate management employee runs this one. The worn cue cards and auto responses are there to help the AM intern wade through tracking challenges for his/her 50 merchnat accounts. Call and pretend your one of their BHO buddies checking on a test purchase made from an actual domain link. That would be a real exception maybe eliciting a response.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"worn cue cards and auto responses"

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Lectrickitty,

This happens more times then I'd like.

I give 'em 3 chances to do the right thing, then I drop 'em - yes - even the money makers get dropped.

Our relationships are PARTNERSHIPS. They HAVE to work together to succeed.

When I feel one of my partners isn't acting like one... they're gone.

ABW Ambassador
    Advise the merchant to contact Chris, WSO and to get him and his team to run their program. That way, you'll be assured that every one of your transactions will be tracked.

Some AMs are able to track every order, even the ones that get missed by the network. It is in our interest as affiliates to get our merchants to hook up with such AMs. I know that Chris, WSO group is such an AM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Do you have a phone number that I can call to discuss this problem? Dreaming I guess, I don't know what made me add that at the last minute.
    They'll probably say no, or ignore that, or otherwise suddenly forget all about...1-800-761-1072
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've been replacing CJ links with links from other programs and now I'm finally making sales.

Thanks for the phone #. Today I noticed the commission has been manually approved. I'm not thrilled about it. I'm happy to get the commission, but very disappointed that I had to chase it down.

I can't help but wonder how many commissions slip thru that I never know about. I should NOT have to fight them to get my money. Like Billy Kay said, we are partners, (and one end of the partnership is not functioning properly.)

I will keep my partnership but not post their links on my sites. I buy from them often so I'll put up a link when I want to make a purchase, then take it down after I use it. After a few more tests I'll know if this was an isolated incident, or if that is standard practice with that merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Care to share which merchant was that? Which merchant we should avoid?

Am I allowed to name them here? It was a hosting company listed with CJ.

They ignored my last question... "please explain to me how I can prove sales that I'm unaware of because I didn't know the visitor who clicked thru from my site?" That might have been an interesting read.

My sites don't get lots of sales yet so they probably don't figure I'm worth bothering with. I'm looking forward to becoming one of the top sellers so I can dump the merchants who treat me like crap while I'm learning.

I've been totally remodeling one complete site. I think it'll be great when it's done, but it's taking forever to hand code over 1000 pages. I'm trying to automate as much as possible, (gotta get it in gear and learn the new fancy-smanchy ways of doing things!)

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread