Valid tracking code?
    On a test purchase I did today the merchant's confirmation page had the code for the tracking pixel peppered with backslashes:

Code:
    img src=\"https://www.[cj domain edited out for posting].com/track/receive.dll?AMOUNT=[amount edited out for posting]&CID=[cid edited out for posting]&OID=[oid edited out for posting]&TYPE=SALE&KEEP=YES
    &METHOD=IMG\" height=\"1\" width=\"1\"

img src=\"https://www.[a cj domain edited out for posting].com/u?AMOUNT=[amount edited out for posting]&CID=[cid edited out for posting]&OID=[oid edited out for posting]&TYPE=[trans type edited out for posting]&KEEP=YES
    &METHOD=IMG\" height=\"1\" width=\"1\">");
    Is this valid code or is it some sort of shenanigans on the part of the merchant?

It's difficult to be sure without seeing the whole thing unedited, but it looks like botched server-side code.

From this information, I would say that won't work.

I'd guess human error over shenanigans, but that's just me.

Thanks Scott.

There were other elements that loaded on the page without this anomaly, so needless to say, I'm a mite bit concerned about this.

ABW Ambassador
    So who is it? Some others might have this merchant on their site. If there are other things you need to test out or something, i understand.

Some others might have this merchant on their site.
    It's a lot more than just "some", yourself included.

I'll wait a little while to see if the sale tracks. If it does, there's no reason to kick up a fuss. If it doesn't, the Chocolate Chicken will surely toss an egg.

I just tested similar code on my site and the image didn't load in IE with the " changed to \".

This merchant normally does real-time tracking?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yes.

I've got a sale for the same amount reported from about the same time that the test purchse occured, but with a different link ID and different SID.

Could be a coincidence on the sale amount, but if that IS the test purchase tagged with info from a previously set cookie, then there still is cause for grave concern.

[added] the PID was different as well.
    Last edited by Chocolate_Chicken; July 27th, 2005 at 07:06 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    you're absolutely right. that is a serious concern. tracking it seems is not creditted to the last click but next to last or previous to that.

if the purchase happened on my clickthrough because my site is better than the previous affiliate's site the surfer went to, i still will not be creditted for the sale.

same old thing i've been saying all along - cj is having a hard time tracking clicks. and when clicks are not tracked, the sale will be creditted to somebody else.

In all fairness, if there is a problem here, it is on the merchant's end of the deal.

ABW Ambassador
    still, the technology being used is cj's. so it is cj's responsibility to watch out for any anomalous happenings and close any loophole, regardless of whether any mistake made by the merchant was done in honest error or by intention.

Test purchase to Zappos did not get credited to referrering PID.

It may or may not have been (see posts above) accidentally credited to another account from a previously set cookie, but the referring PID did not get credit for the sale.

oops

1st of all, those are img tags.. we'd need to see the href= tags to tell if there's a problem.
    And yes, it's likely a code problem. when coding in some languages, you need to preface a " with a \ in order for it to display on the page.
    If you want your code to work, just replace every \" with a " and it should work.
    Hope that helps explain it.... but I think the extra \ inside url's probably don't get credited correctly if that's how it's getting sent in the url.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread